Audi A3 Tdi - MANUEL SWAP???

gdawg69

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
I have a 2011 Audi a3 with an S - Tronic, dual-clutch transmission pretty much all stock. I am wondering if there is any way the transmission could swap for a 5 or 6 speed. I know this is far fetched with all the computers the car contains but figured it doesn't hurt to get feedback since yall know the cars far better than I do. Also if possible which transmission would be smart to pair with or is it possible to rebuild.

P.S.
I know this probably will sound dumb to some of you but a manual would make the driving a lot more fun!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I'm sure the auto DSG trans can be switched off thru VCDS, just like b5 and mk4 trans swaps to manual.

I bought a JSW over an a3 mostly because the a3 didn't offer a manual. I wish they did. A 6m would be VERY desirable IMO. The mk5 & mk6 JSW's would be a good source to pick up a conversion. If you presented this to any good tuner like Malone or Karma I'm sure they would set you up. I've done a Karma tune, it really was no big deaal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 6-speeds from an '09-14 Jetta, Golf, or Jetta Sportwagon will all work. Gearing is slightly taller on the '10 and later cars. I've seen a '15 with a manual swap, and I'm betting the same in an '11 should be doable by the right person.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
The TDI torque and 6m crank the giggle factor way up when getting on the freeway or surprising an unexpecting Mustang on a green light

gdawg69

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
Thank you guys for the help! I have a few clarification questions. I am new to cars but am really intrigued to learn about them. What is a 6m? And in order to source the transmission which I'm thinking from the JSW but am not for sure as of right now could I buy the transmission that goes along with this car without actually buying a mk5 - 6 JSW? I know it would be easier to just get a different car but really like the look of the a3. I am also thinking of getting a tune is Malone or Karma more reputable as a brand?

gdawg69

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
Oh one more thing I have aftermarket BBS wheels on my Audi and it shakes at higher speeds. It is very annoying and have done 2 alignments. Should I try rebalancing the tires next? I would like it to drive like a normal car when I hit higher speeds on the highway while keeping the look.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
6m = 6 manual

The mk5- mk6 = 2009 thru 2014 JSW GSW. Still rare but more part outs will start to show up as they age out. A wrecked car can be the best way to canablize since you have EVERYTHING. But buying a conversion can work too.

Both Malone & Karma are reputable. Malone still sells delete tunes. Karma (in U.S. ) only non deletes. These cars NEED a tune after the **** VW engine killing dieselgate retune

gdawg69

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
I assume buying a wrecked car would be the best but how does buying a conversion work? Also for tuning and stage tunes do I have to get a delete in order for those to work? What exactly does a delete do to my car? I don't want to completely ruin the high MPG I get if that's what it intakes.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I assume buying a wrecked car would be the best but how does buying a conversion work? Also for tuning and stage tunes do I have to get a delete in order for those to work? What exactly does a delete do to my car? I don't want to completely ruin the high MPG I get if that's what it intakes.
Many ways to get used trans and parts like the forum for sale ads, ebay, wrecking yards. As you are new to this there are EBay and specialty VW places that may sell the whole package. Fran in Europe somewhere is one that comes to mind for b5 conversions. A proper tune and manual will do nothing but good for MPG & engine life. Read, search, read...

NON delete tune = smog components in tact, usually reprogrammed to work efficiently, a good tune is almost always better on engine performance, MPG and drivability.

delete tune = some/all smog components removed, reprogrammed from mild to wild. Ranges from increased to decreased MPG. Ability to increase much more hp/torque over non delete. Usually worse on emmisions. More and more areas cracking down on this.

Note: many of the sheeple - greener than thou's and the EPA have plaque blockage to the brain vain. VW dieselgate reprogrammed the VW TDI diesel to accomplish minimal NOx improvement at the cost of massive soot output (cancer causing/MPG loss) and increased egr (engine/MPG/power killer). This kills both engine and expensive emission components/repair. My ex 2008 e350 probably puts out 1000 xs more NOx than a tuned delete TDI!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Since not many people have done these, you're going to have to figure out what you need. Of course you need the transmission, clutch and flywheel, transmission mount, pedals, axles, starter, shift linkage, shift cables, shifter box (in cabin), console. You may also need items relating to the cooling system and power steering (maybe not the steering, as it's electric on both cars). And you'll need to make wiring revisions for the Mechatronics unit, probably some programming to switch your ECU to one for manual transmission cars, And perhaps some stuff I'm not thinking of. Getting a whole donor car would make things easier and you may save money.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive never done a swap, but I believe the mk 4 jetta I saw being swapped the ECU was changed to manual thru VCDS programming?

gdawg69... 3 R's... Reading, Researching & wRenching

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
ALH software is far simpler than the later cars. I know that even an auto to manual swap in a BEW is much more difficult than an ALH. So I wouldn't assume that you could make the change via VCDS.

gdawg69

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
Thank you guys for the replies this is helping a lot and the more I learn I'll eventually work on my car to my skill level. From my readings, I think a donor car would be best just to ensure I have all the parts since VW and Audi can transfer parts with the right person. Now I'm also interested in a tune my father has tunes done to his diesel trucks and I notice quite the difference. This next part is me just comparing which is better. Would it be worth it to buy a Kerma tuner and would this need someone to install or is it basic enough for someone with no experience to do so? Or should I go with Zune Tilla through Malone Tuning and I noticed the stage tuning could I jump to stage 4? Or do I have to start at 0.5 and go up from there each level at a time? I know these questions are starting to expand but y'all seem to know a thing or two about all of this.

Note: Kerma tune - 650
Stage tunes - Stage 0.5 - 500 - Stage 4 - 800

gdawg69

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
I'm also now searching for donor cars. Does the car I buy have to be a TDI or could it be a regular VW GSW GSW or could I use a golf etc... just trying to see which variety of cars I have to ponder to make my searching easier in case I can't find a specific model.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Possibly. It's got to be a TDI. Gearing will be all wrong on a gasoline car transmission.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The 2011 A3 and the 2012 Golf are built on the same platform. So the transmission should bolt up. Electronics are still and open question.

erickim33

TDI
2015 Audi A3 8P & 8V & VW Passat SEL & Jetta BEW
Oh one more thing I have aftermarket BBS wheels on my Audi and it shakes at higher speeds. It is very annoying and have done 2 alignments. Should I try rebalancing the tires next? I would like it to drive like a normal car when I hit higher speeds on the highway while keeping the look.
HUB RING and go with metal...Good Luck

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
The 2011 A3 and the 2012 Golf are built on the same platform. So the transmission should bolt up. Electronics are still and open question.
Correct, No way to do with VCDS , ECU has to be replaced or Possible flash Software .
bumping an old thread, but...

This guy swapped a 2011 A3 2.0T Quattro from DSG to 6MT using VagCom, without flashing his ECU.

Only thing I was expecting him to mention, but didn't, was changing the axles to manuals, but maybe they stay the same in AWD?

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
bumping an old thread, but...

This guy swapped a 2011 A3 2.0T Quattro from DSG to 6MT using VagCom, without flashing his ECU.

Only thing I was expecting him to mention, but didn't, was changing the axles to manuals, but maybe they stay the same in AWD?
Some ECU will allow you to change coding but most of them not , 2010+ TDI will not let you do that .

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
If anyone is going through all this trouble - AWD swap as well. Really a waste otherwise unless your DSG is currently dead. Pretty silly for an Audi to be fwd to start with!!!