Any widespread Turbo failures in 2015 A6 Jetta Sedans like in the NM Passats??

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Just curious, or since it's a totally new engine design for 2015 is the turbo a totally different [and hopefully improved!] design also?

Thanks!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Turbo failures on the EA288 engine (in the 15 Passat, Jetta, Golf, and NB) seem to have far few turbo failures, especially compared to the '12-14 Passat.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Well that's certainly good to know, since I'm looking at 2015 model Jetta TDI's.!
Where did you get your information, here on the forum?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's an observation from customer purchases and what distributors, repair shops, and turbo dealers tell us (IDParts) about turbo sales and replacements. Not scientific, but I hear almost nothing about CRUA and CVCA turbos (and I place the turbo orders at IDParts). By contrast, we've always sold a fair number of CKRA turbos, until they went unavailable a year ago. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

I'm a fan of the EA288 engine. It has a lot of advantages over its predecessors. Less vulnerable fueling, air to water intercooling to eliminate icing, and the use of adblue allows better tuning for economy and power.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've not heard of any turbo failures on the CRUA or CVCA.

The only things I have gathered is:

They often tend to consume some oil, at least more than any previous TDIs.

The variable-collar water pumps often don't make it until the timing belt interval.

The DEF injector can leak, and it sometimes takes a couple tries to get it corrected (there is a TSB on this).

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to everyone who replied with the data! I kinda put 2 and 2 together whilst perusing Indigoblue's info as a vendor but it's good to know more specifics though, as you say, it's not scientific.