Any Experience With Snow Chains for Jetta?

TDI
2012 Jetta
I live on a hill with a twisting driveway and of course my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen is front wheel drive and its a challenge to get up to my house. Wondering if folks can share what they think is the best snow chains to use, or even recommend snow tires for the winter. Thanks!

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I live in Texas, so I cannot say anything about the chains. However, when we do get snow and ice, I take the Jetta even though it is my wife's car. I found when the Traction Control is engaged, the car tries to hunt for traction. Hardly any movement. Turn off Traction Control, and it will pull just fine.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
my old tdi wagon had snowtires and handled great in wisconsin winters, my 2013 i havent splurged on a set for it yet and like rrgrassi said it handles better with tc off. i lived on mt hood for several years and never used chains there and likely never will, seen em destroy too many fenders....a good snow tire makes a world of a difference.

TDI
2012 Jetta
Never thought about the traction control button. I think it has been off gonna take a look at the manual. I am thinking of these michelin easy grips, or they have an extreme grip as well with chain. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://us.michelin-lifestyle.com/downloads/promotions/easy-grip-evo-2022.pdf

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
Never thought about the traction control button. I think it has been off gonna take a look at the manual. I am thinking of these michelin easy grips, or they have an extreme grip as well with chain. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://us.michelin-lifestyle.com/downloads/promotions/easy-grip-evo-2022.pdf

its on unless you turn it off and it defaults to on again each key cycle. mine will get stuck on the white stop lines in intersections thanks to traction control in the right conditions....

TDI
2012 Jetta
I have michelin pilot sport AS 225 45 ZR 17. which are not dedicated snow tires, and without any assistance of chains only made it half way up my twisting gravel driveway. I think I will try some chains (as we get 1-2 decent storms in Virginia), before throwing down on another set of 4 snow tires, although it would add life to my current tires not driving them in the winter.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Snow tires (on an alternate set of wheels) need only be a one-time expense really. As long as they are stored properly (on their side, out of the sun, not in extreme heat) they'll last many seasons. Obviously the pain to put them on may vary for some people. I think my one set is nearly 10 seasons old now.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
+1 for winter tires, studded if you really need it - but that's unlikely. I have no problem navigating our steep, winding one lane access road on standard winter tires. The only thing that can stop me is snow deep enough to high center the car, but even then momentum usually gets me through.

You really do not want to be messing with chains of any kind on a regular basis. They are a pain in the rear and can seriously damage your car if they fail or otherwise come loose.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Agreed, chains are a pain and dangerous. However, if you really need some extra, there are some easier solutions for a quick temporary install for added traction.

Just google "tire chain alternatives" and you'll see all kinds of things. Snow socks and little spider grip things, etc.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I live in major snow country and have dedicated studded snows.
You will not need studs. Even here, almost no one uses chains anymore.
Look into snows with a little more open tread since a hill is your issue. Smoother super siped snows (Hakkas, Nokians, Nittos,etc.) are sometimes defeated with a good hill unless you've got a rolling start. That said, many high end super sipes are still excellent on all but the most gravity challenged roads(uphill). They can be pricy tho. Shop around.

Get an inexpensive set of rims and some decent snows and your summer tires, your significant other, etc. will love you. You will love yourself too on that rare snow day out in Lexington when it actually dumps.
Instead of being gripped en route to the grocery store, you'll be passing the brodozers and summer tire rolling 4x4 suvs, some already in the ditch by 8am.
As stated above, both sets last longer so the cost ratio is negligible and the safety factor and comfort is worth every penny.

And it's snowing at my place right now, jus' sayin'.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
I have michelin pilot sport AS 225 45 ZR 17. which are not dedicated snow tires, and without any assistance of chains only made it half way up my twisting gravel driveway. I think I will try some chains (as we get 1-2 decent storms in Virginia), before throwing down on another set of 4 snow tires, although it would add life to my current tires not driving them in the winter.
volkswagen EXPLICITLY states in the owners manual to NOT use chains with 17 inch rims!
there is NOT enough clearance between the wheel and shock / coilover, you WILL cause some damage.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
volkswagen EXPLICITLY states in the owners manual to NOT use chains with 17 inch rims!
there is NOT enough clearance between the wheel and shock / coilover, you WILL cause some damage.
Maybe on the front, but chains will fit just fine on the back tires. :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If you really want chains, Thule K-Summit chains are amazing! Install super-easily (just read the instructions carefully so you understand what you're doing), hug close to the tire so the chances of hitting body work are minimal.

Stupid-expensive and discontinued, but I managed to find a couple sets for like $120 a few years ago when somewhere (Amazon?) was blowing them out. Haven't yet had to use them, but with the mountain passes on one of my regular drives where 1-2ft of snow can fall in a couple hours, I feel more comfortable having them in the car.....even when driving with dedicated snow tires....although i've recently gone with CrossClimate2 and they seem to perform just as well as the snow tires in the 1-4" of snow/slush that we typically get.

Reinout

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I live on a hill with a twisting driveway and of course my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen is front wheel drive and its a challenge to get up to my house. Wondering if folks can share what they think is the best snow chains to use, or even recommend snow tires for the winter. Thanks!
your question is great!
1) besides the driveway, how are the roads? Let’s say that the roads are never an issue, I’d just park at the end of the driveway and walk the rest. Obviously some all-season tires are still important.

2) if the roads besides the driveway are crap as well, get a spare set of wheels with some awesome snow tires. For our 4Runners we have a set of studded tires for the really bad days.

3) snow chains are really a last resort. If you need snow chains you might want to decide if you leave the house, or you have the wrong vehicle.

TDI
2012 Jetta
What page in the 2012 Jetta Sportwagen manual do you see that? I just read mine on page 274 'snow chains' no reference to 17" tires but it says use low profile links, not thicker than 37/64th (15mm) including the tensioner. Only use on front tires.