Another heater core?

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
2013 @165k miles.
If I had to do it over again every 50,000 mi I would do a complete radiator flush with g13.
A mechanic charge me $950 to replace the heater core!!! I would have done it myself but it comes with a 5-year warranty. I figure that is worth the insurance.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2013 @165k miles.
If I had to do it over again every 50,000 mi I would do a complete radiator flush with g13.
A mechanic charge me $950 to replace the heater core!!! I would have done it myself but it comes with a 5-year warranty. I figure that is worth the insurance.
I'm just buttoning up doing mine myself for the 1st time today. I think it was made more difficult by the previous techs having bent pipes and used screwdrivers to separate the core from pipes. I would have gladly paid $950 for a 5 year warranty.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
Mixed/contaminated coolant can clog up cores on the gassers, too. I just flushed one on a 2015 2.slo Jetta that had been previously messed up by morons. So yeah, it can happen on those.

I have been reasonably successful with flushing them the opposite direction of flow with a garden hose after soaking them with Permatex Heavy Duty radiator cleaner.

That stuff is powerful, and it works. I *JUST* put it in the heater core/pipes, and not anywhere else. Yes, I know it says not safe for aluminum, and yes I know the pipes and core are made out of aluminum. I don't leave it in there for very long, and if it messed something up (never has, but if) you'd be back to replacing it anyway, so what is the harm in trying?

Here is how I do it:

Disconnect both quick couplers at the heater core pipes on the firewall, and move them out of the way and secure them so nothing else gets in them.

Get two lengths of bulk hose, about a foot or so long, 3/4"/19mm ID, and slip them on to each pipe, and angle them UP.

Pour the cleaner down both hoses until they are both full. If the core is not completely clogged shut, which they usually are not, just pouring it in one hose is enough, as liquid seeks its own level and it will come back up the other. Try not to spill any. One quart bottle is enough to do it a couple times at least.

Let it soak for about 20 minutes. You may see some bubbles and foam come up as it dissolves the solids inside. Pull the hose off from the TOP pipe connection, leave the lower one in place.

Rig up a garden hose to fit in the hose that is still attached to the BOTTOM pipe, then turn it on full while watching what comes out of that top connection. You'll see a black/brown slurry of filth come pouring out... keep the hose running until it comes out clean and clear.

Turn the water off, remove the hose, reconnect the quick couplers, refill the system with G12 mix, put anything back together you had to remove to get at the firewall, take the car for a drive and make sure the system is full.
had same situation as many, it started blowing Luke warm air right after timing belt job,.thanks oilhammer!.followed above instructions, flushed heater core with Permatex Radiator cleaner as per Brian's Instructions and i am happy to report after 1k mile it still measured 140°F temp at both vents. Disconnecting heater core's quick connect couplers was hardest part for me,. disconnected turbo inlet hose, breather hose etc to have enough room to have access to quick couplers. did coolant bleeding afterwards using VCDS.

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
Mixed/contaminated coolant can clog up cores on the gassers, too. I just flushed one on a 2015 2.slo Jetta that had been previously messed up by morons. So yeah, it can happen on those.

I have been reasonably successful with flushing them the opposite direction of flow with a garden hose after soaking them with Permatex Heavy Duty radiator cleaner.

That stuff is powerful, and it works. I *JUST* put it in the heater core/pipes, and not anywhere else. Yes, I know it says not safe for aluminum, and yes I know the pipes and core are made out of aluminum. I don't leave it in there for very long, and if it messed something up (never has, but if) you'd be back to replacing it anyway, so what is the harm in trying?

Here is how I do it:

Disconnect both quick couplers at the heater core pipes on the firewall, and move them out of the way and secure them so nothing else gets in them.

Get two lengths of bulk hose, about a foot or so long, 3/4"/19mm ID, and slip them on to each pipe, and angle them UP.

Pour the cleaner down both hoses until they are both full. If the core is not completely clogged shut, which they usually are not, just pouring it in one hose is enough, as liquid seeks its own level and it will come back up the other. Try not to spill any. One quart bottle is enough to do it a couple times at least.

Let it soak for about 20 minutes. You may see some bubbles and foam come up as it dissolves the solids inside. Pull the hose off from the TOP pipe connection, leave the lower one in place.

Rig up a garden hose to fit in the hose that is still attached to the BOTTOM pipe, then turn it on full while watching what comes out of that top connection. You'll see a black/brown slurry of filth come pouring out... keep the hose running until it comes out clean and clear.

Turn the water off, remove the hose, reconnect the quick couplers, refill the system with G12 mix, put anything back together you had to remove to get at the firewall, take the car for a drive and make sure the system is full.
Glad I found this post again. I'm motivated to try this method on the CVCA Passat. Will try after I check head gasket leakage...

bbaecht

TDI
2003 jetta, 2015 passat
I'm just buttoning up doing mine myself for the 1st time today. I think it was made more difficult by the previous techs having bent pipes and used screwdrivers to separate the core from pipes. I would have gladly paid $950 for a 5 year warranty.
I'm facing the same thing. Dealer has put 2 heater cores in, and I'm on my first one doing it myself. Dealer warranted the $35 core last time and charged me $750 in labor. Should have drove it up their arse then. Anyhoo, my heater pipe is no longer round and having a hard time getting the heater core pipes in. What did you use to re-round the pipes? I'm working with wood dowel, but not having much luck. I've also cut the ends off my old heater core, and trying to get them on but I can't seem to get any force to push them in. By any chance, does anyone know if you can pull the pipes and replace? I'm guessing it looks like the engine would need to come out for the clearance, but anyone?

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
If you mean this part Water Pipe - Volkswagen (561-819-857) then I would think you could, but not sure which way it would come out. I have have seen someone on YouTube use 1" heater hose and worm gear clamps to connect the core to the pipes when he couldn't get them to fit.

bbaecht

TDI
2003 jetta, 2015 passat
If you mean this part Water Pipe - Volkswagen (561-819-857) then I would think you could, but not sure which way it would come out. I have have seen someone on YouTube use 1" heater hose and worm gear clamps to connect the core to the pipes when he couldn't get them to fit.
Hi Andy,
That is absolutely the one I'm referring to. My plan today was to use my cut ends from the old heater core, connect 5/8" hose as it fits nicely, clamp, and then cut my ends off the new core to put the other end of the hose on, but I can't get one of my ends back in the aluminum pipe as it's out of round. So my next thought was exactly what you're mentioning, take my dremel to the pipes end, and just use the 5/8" radiator hose to connect to the core from where I cut the pipes. I'm not completely averse to this hack, but if I can't get new pipes in easily enough, I'll probably think about it for a while longer. lol! I do hate hacking something if it's near impossible to fix. I'll look for that YT video. Thanks!

Last edited:

bbaecht

TDI
2003 jetta, 2015 passat
Hi Andy,
That is absolutely the one I'm referring to. My plan today was to use my cut ends from the old heater core, connect 5/8" hose as it fits nicely, clamp, and then cut my ends off the new core to put the other end of the hose on, but I can't get one of my ends back in the aluminum pipe as it's out of round. So my next thought was exactly what you're mentioning, take my dremel to the pipes end, and just use the 5/8" radiator hose to connect to the core from where I cut the pipes. I'm not completely averse to this hack, but if I can't get new pipes in easily enough, I'll probably think about it for a while longer. lol! I do hate hacking something if it's near impossible to fix. I'll look for that YT video. Thanks!
Oh snap! I found it:
Oh, man, that is ugly...Hummmm

bbaecht

TDI
2003 jetta, 2015 passat
Well, so here's my hack. This will give me time to look up whether I can replace the water pipes ( 561-819-857 ) without having to drop the engine. Also let's me have time to flush, flush, and flush. I basically just did a core bypass, looping it back to the outlet pipe.