Another DSG Bites the dust!

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
Saving myself some typing, text from my NHTSA complaint;​
Our Jetta experienced a "false neutral" problem back in December, 2013. (95,000 miles) I did some research and found that it could be due to a low voltage condition. I checked the electrical system and found the alternator to be faulty. I replaced it and kept driving the car. Everything seemed fine until mid January, 2014 when we experienced another FN event. We were able to switch the car off and then back on and the condition went away. I called our local VW dealer and scheduled an appointment for a diagnostic. The results of this test came back and they said we needed a new Mechatronics unit (this controls the transmission) at a cost of $2300.00 I am familiar with these cars and also familiar with the fact that VW has already investigated this issue in later year cars. This investigation (NHTSA Action# PE09035) resulted in a recall campaign (NHTSA# 09V333000) where VW replaced defective mechatronics units and extended the warranty on the affected units to 10yrs/100,000 miles. less than 24 hours after receiving this diagnosis, the transmission completely locked up while driving down the road, luckily it was at an intersection and the speed was less than 15mph. I had the car towed back to the VW dealer, the transmission must now be replaced ($6,000.00) I content that this is the same or nearly the same issue addressed in the previous campaign and that VW did not find the root cause of the mechatronics and subsequent transmission failure. A new investigation needs to be opened to address this problem, it is a safety issue which has already been addressed for some of their vehicles. VW needs to be made to address it for ALL DSG equipped vehicles, especially ones manufactured before the previously investigated lot. I contacted VWOA and even though my vehicle is still within the mileage range of the warranty extension they will not offer any assistance in the repairs.
This is a condensed version of the whole experience since they only allow so many characters in the complaint.
The long and short of it is, we need an accurate listing of Mechatronics/complete DSG failures with less than 100k miles. I know many have tried, but I intend to push this as far as I can with VW. This is an incredible safety issue, had the trans locked up 5 miles down the road my wife would have been on the interstate traveling at 70+mph. I encourage everyone who has experienced a Mechatronics failure at less than 100k also file a complaint and reference the same investigation/customer satisfaction campaign.​
For the GURUs: I figure the Mech. told the trans to select two gears simultaneously, maybe via the multiplexing solenoid thus locking the trans. Is it possible that I could free the gearbox up by rocking the car or some other method? and if so, would it still be drivable with a new Mech. unit?​
I am prepared to have it towed home and put a new trans in myself, found a vendor in Pennsylvania that seems to be reasonable on a rebuilt gearbox. Has anybody dealt with Autobahn Transmission Exchange, AKA Dubble's?​
Info, advice, encouragement welcomed........​
On a side note: posting MKIV 5 speed swap items soon to help pay for the repairs​

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
The '06 is the only one I have with a DSG.
I know the action started with some 2007 cars, but my thought is that the earlier versions have the same issue, they just found a fix that didn't involve as many cars. This is my 5th VW, (4th diesel) and I love the cars but at this point I am not sure about future purchases. The '06 is my wife's car and she really wants to get rid of it now and get a Honda or something. I think I have talked her off the ledge for now but I don't think her next car will be a VW.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
I love the cars but at this point I am not sure about future purchases.
If you keep things in perspective, you'll find that failures rates of the particular items that are prone to the highest amount of failures is literally extremely LOW.

Should you switch to another car maker, failure rates could be equally as low, lower, or higher. You potentially could be going from thefrying pan into the fire! :eek::eek::eek:

In other words, it really is a "roll of the dice" whether you car will be problem free or not, unless you get a Yugo or something like that. :(

Our '98 Jetta TDI, with 226K miles & 16 years under its belt (and had minimal maintenance) has been EXTREMELY problem free; never once went back to dealer while still new, and virtually everything (major) on the car is still factory original! (except A/C compressor - we live in Florida).

toohighpsi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 Jetta, 2001 Golf
I have dealt with Dubble's on several occasions, I use them for 09G valve bodies and 01M rebuilds. They are easy to deal with and so far have had great luck with the quality of their work.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks toohigh, still not sure exactly what I am going to do.
I was really hoping to get a bigger response from others who have had issues with their DSG. I guess maybe my read on the extent of this issue is a little off.
The last Customer Service Action was started with just 172 complaints, I was hoping to find comparable numbers of failures for the earlier model DSG and thus get NHTSA and then VW to address the issue.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Which car are you talking about? IIRC 05 Golf doesn't have a DSG.

goosegunner

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex silver, 2006, DSG, white
I had a 2006 with mechatronics problem at 195K. It was replace with a used Mechatronics with less than 80K on it. I started acting up less than 20K later.

The car was sold with a new uninstalled Mechatronics that I purchased.

My wife loved her Jetta and was sad to see it go, I replace it with a loaded 2012 Ford Fusion. If you ask her now she will respond with "What Jetta?"

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Had it towed home from the dealer today. I found a website that is tracking DSG issues in Iceland (I think) I'm wondering if this would work here in the U.S.? Really need to track failures with less than 100K.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've never seen one fail. And I see a WHOLE LOT of 02E DSGs here.

See plenty of broken DMFs. A couple M-units, and just got my first stripped out DMF/input shaft splines. But that car had a noisy DMF, and they were stuck in the snow with their bald Chinapops, and the car has 180k miles, so....

If I had a DSG car, I'd be more worried about war breaking out with Canada than I would my transmission failing.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure if that helps my position or hurts it....

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
So what are the chances that I can tear it down and get it back in working order? I am plenty competent, what special tools are needed, if any?
I know the Mechatronics unit will need to be replaced (or can I repair the issues with it as well?)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not much serviceable on the 02E. Beyond the filter, you essentially have two parts you can replace: the clutch assembly and the mechatronics unit.

You can also buy the cooler, and the ATF pump. But I would imagine if either of those was bad, the rest of the unit is pretty trashed anyways and probably not worth repairing.

But as far as internal bearings, shafts, gears, etc..... nada, they simply don't sell any parts for them. The entire 02E parts diagram fits on one page in ETKA.

Of course, if you had an issue where your 02E DSG needed a $1400 M-unit, an $800 clutch set, and another $200 worth of ATF and a filter, you may want to think about just spending the $3700 and getting a reman assembly and be done with it.

Last edited:

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
That's about what I thought, Dubble's sells a reman gearbox with a reman mech for 2600, or with a new mech for 3100. both carry the same 12 month warranty. I'm thinking there is not much difference in the two.

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone else dealt with Dubble's?