Another 2260 Build

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Why would a 2260 making 30 PSI with an engine at 18.5:1 compression make less power than the same turbo running 35 or 40 PSI on an engine with 16.5:1 compression? Isn't it about how much charge you get into the chamber and how much you compress it? My numbers may be wrong, but I'm sure you understand the question. Even if you're not running it at the edge of its efficiency curve (or beyond) it may still keep the air charge and EGTs cooler, which will also help power.

I'm not arguing here, this is just something I've tried for a long time to understand and haven't gotten a good explanation.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
18.5:1 IS lower compression on an ALH.. stock they are 19.5:1.. 16.5:1 is excessively low for a Rotary and to make the most out of that you would need a compound setup at 50+psi..

I'm not sure the technical details of why, but typically you lower the CR when you go over a certain power/boost level... It's my understanding that peak cylinder pressure will be lower, but overall average cylinder pressure will be higher, resulting in more power.. You would absolutely get more power with a higher CR, but the hardware will likely fail before long..

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
25cc of air at 30psi < 35cc of air at 50psi. Greater mass of air = more fuel can be injected for same A/F ratio = more power.

A couple cummins guys have experimented with raising from 17:1 to 20:1 and had really big changes in spool time and midrange power. However, keeping the head sealed is a challenge even with studs and o rings on anything over 50-60psi. Keep in mind that's an iron head with 6 bolts/cyl where we only have 4.

With CR you can lower compression and maintain driveability/mileage. If someone can make the electronic side work, I'll be all over a CR ALH with crafter pistons like white on rice.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
With compression...you dont need big boost. One can make excellent power with lower boost if one has the correct compression ratio for the task. Of course...for big boost, lower compression is safer.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Why can't you run a 2260 with stock compression?
Insane PCP resulting in spun bearings in my experience :eek:

Fed a steady diet of M1 TDT or T6. Never applied high load at low rpm...didn't matter.

I'm not sure even a 50-60wt. oil or sputter or coated bearings would save you. I think it's simply a physical limitation with these undersized bearings.
Not really designed for such loads

mrchill

TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
1.8t bearings are even smaller...and can handle the same and higher torque loads. With the correct boost\cr combination, pcp isnt excessive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think they can. I was at Lime Rock a few weeks ago and there was a 1.8T GTI there that made 450 torque. I'm betting at least 350 of it was available below 3000 RPM. It was quick.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
interesting.. The faster ones will usually rev to 7000+ though so it's harder to tell where they come on.. I've driven a 550hp 1.8T and it came alive around 3400 and pulled to 7500 where the fuel cut was.. I'm sure the ones that make a little less power do come on sooner..

I wonder how peak cylinder pressure in a gasser compares to a tdi at similar power levels..

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I don’t think the GTB2260 makes much more power past 35psi or so, not at the expense of higher EMP's than one would call reasonable anyway.

I'll have a nice graph of an ALH with a GTB2260, I have one of my 1Z and obviously 8v + 16v PD's with the same turbo so can try to overlay them all on one graph for comparison.

We are not looking to lower the compression on the projects we are just working on as cold starting and idle smoke always seem to be the most commented 'problem' with big power builds and lower compression wont help either of those issues. Holding the head down and stopping the rods bending is a better fix IMO. Careful mapping makes it acceptable but not 'stock'

the 16v PD's don’t seem to suffer as badly, without glow plugs my van started fine through a cold winter (-5 or so) and now with 100%+ injectors is still fine although we are a little warmer (+15) so I’ll be looking to go down to 17-1 compression.

I suppose everyone wants their cake and eat it, something has to give. Power, Economy, Drivability, Smoke, Cold start, NVH......

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
I don&#146;t think the GTB2260 makes much more power past 35psi or so, not at the expense of higher EMP's than one would call reasonable anyway.

I'll have a nice graph of an ALH with a GTB2260, I have one of my 1Z and obviously 8v + 16v PD's with the same turbo so can try to overlay them all on one graph for comparison.
I want to see this as I am starting my ALH build using your GTB2260VK kit.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387940

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mrchill

TDI
Well built 1,8t's can make 300 under about 3200 rpm. The point was...that the bearings are smaller than Tdi and survive the same power and more. The bearings arent the problem.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Okay, Jason has everything put back together, got 52mpg@75 on a long trip with the car.

Jeff and Jason weren't able to match up so I am hoping to catch up with him at one of the local
GTG to fix the tune.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was actually 53.4mpg but either way it was impressive considering there was only a few hundred miles on the engine when I did the drive..
Filled up in Milwaukee WI Friday morning and made it all the way to Matamoras PA with one tank.. It was nearly 100 degrees over the last few days so I had the AC blasting for the entire trip.. Most of the drive was done with the cruise control set at 75-80mph (gps speed) with the exception of the work zones and the little bit of traffic near Chicago.. There was about 1/2 hour of dead stop and go and the rest was smooth sailing..

The car didn't drive out there, it was in an inclosed trailer with a race car that I delivered to Road America in Plymouth, WI..

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
What? Are you saying that the truck got 53mph towing 2 cars in the trailer? I think you segwayed without warning. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Got a chance to drive my car for the first time since:

The pistons,
Turbo,
Transmission,
Regulator
CPU chip
and
Rear Struts were swapped out.

Since I am using Jason's old tune that was set up for smaller injectors and a different cam there are some surge and smoke issues that still plague the car so I may be jumping the gun making any observations just yet, but here goes.

The car is punchier down in the 1400-2200 RPM range but you quickly realize you have a smaller turbo when you get over 2400 RPM. If I were still looking to do any kind of racing with the car I'd want the 2260vk, but for the sporty daily driver I now want, it is just about perfect when paired with the 6 speed tranny. I might feel differently if I still had the stock 5 speed.

It hits just about every major speed limit @ 1800 -2000 RPM when paired with the correct gear. With the old 5 speed 50MPH was always a pain, too fast for 4th and too slow for 5th.

Hopefully Jeff and Jason will be able to figure out the programming and I will finally have a chance to enjoy the car.

On a side note, the speedometer/odometer is off about 3% and Jason said the computer wouldn't take the fix, not the end of the world but if anyone has a fix we'd like to hear from you.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^ Ya the impulse number" coding in the instrument cluster refuses to accept a change...

The speedometer is about 10% optimistic and the odometer is 3.5-4% optimistic.. Worst case would be to use a Dakota Digital signal converter to adjust the output..

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Well, it's been a year now since the new hardware, but I am still running on the tune from Jason's old Jetta. His tune was for smaller injectors so it's not ideal but the car gets me from one place to another.

I was hoping that I could just get the tune nailed down and put this project to bed, but like everything that has gone on before, it is turning out not to be as simple as one might expect.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
MOVING ON TO OTHER THINGS. CAR FOR SALE.

I PUT CLOSE TO $20,000 INTO THIS. WILL TAKE FIRST OFFER OF $6500.

The engine and Transmission have about 20K miles.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
New Day

The end of one story, the start of another.

I'd like to thank Jason and Matt for the hours of work they put into this project, as well as several other board members who offered their expertise and services.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
It's unfortunate that you weren't happy with you car's performance after all that.I've been struggling over the years with my 99.5 jetta also.I completely understand and agree with your updated post below.Thanks for posting you experience.

Post dated 11/8/2014

Why I sold the car after a 5 year build:

First let me say, I'd do it again. I got a chance to meet a lot of great people and had some VERY interesting times along the way... That said I have a word of caution for those who might want to venture down this path.

If you are not a mechanic, or love to tinker on mechanical things EVERY weekend and have a real aptitude for it, or have VERY deep pockets then just get a tune, maybe slightly larger injectors and call it a day. In the end I handed this project off to someone more qualified to finish it because the people I needed to make this work became unavailable and with this kind of build, there just aren't that many people out there that can put something like this together and polish it off. So... if you can't finish it yourself, best not to start.
Most people were spoiled with their 90hp ALH when they added some bolt-ons like 17/22,clutch,bigger nozzles and a tune.I think this let others to believe that there was alot more potential if simply stepping it up from the bolt-on crowd.

What have you replaced this car with ?

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
It's unfortunate that you weren't happy with you car's performance after all that.I've been struggling over the years with my 99.5 jetta also.I completely understand and agree with your updated post below.Thanks for posting you experience.

Most people were spoiled with their 90hp ALH when they added some bolt-ons like 17/22,clutch,bigger nozzles and a tune.I think this let others to believe that there was alot more potential if simply stepping it up from the bolt-on crowd.

What have you replaced this car with ?
I haven't made up my mind yet. Most likely to sell my wife's Mini as well and buy a Subaru Outback. The 2015 model gets pretty good gas mileage and the car is perfect for NE PA winters.

I considered the TDI wagon, but my wife is afraid to let me any where near another Diesel Jetta :)