Another 01M running from Freddy

b1gmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
That's 100k hard wheel spinning miles with many miles driven to the maximum indicated speed of 120 mph. I have cruised over 100 mph for ~3 hours or so and for shorter durations as well... all on off-road closed race courses of course.

So I guess Oilhammer would tell me that Amsoil non-VW wrong transmission fluid has done me in? Live and learn I suppose.

In any case CoolAirVW, would you like to take a crack at the VB to see if that will buy me some more time despite my insistence on using the wrong transmission oil?
I would say 100K of hard driving with a bigger turbo, chip, injectors etc is a long life for an O1M. Given most O1M's last 100-150K under normal driving conditions.

When you started Amsoil ATF your transmission was already failing with the shifts and bits in the filter/pan. So regular changes, Amsoil ATF and "normal" driving, I would expect an O1M that has not started failing to last well into the 200-300K mile range.

Thanks for being honest with your usage of the car and what maintenance schedule you had it on with the Amsoil ATF.

~ryan

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I hope I'm not done just yet!

Let's see what Richard can do with the VB and how many more miles I can outrun Freddy!!! I plan to use any extra borrowed time to obtain the needed 5-speed conversion parts, either as hand me downs from a six speed conversion of "Red" or as an outright package from elsewhere.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
UPDATE:
Been 10K since the VB rebuild by CoolAirVW. No codes-no more TCC slippage, so that seems to have been resolved. Great, now I just cursed myself in the interest of providing data to this group. Hope you guys appreciate it!

After resetting the TCM and coding to 00002 (sport-DSP off) a couple K ago, no more clunky shifts. Shift timing still doesn't seem right, but I am beginning to think that that is just the crappy design.

I'll check in after another 10K

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
That's where it was before I recoded. It was giving me the occasional clunking shift and flaring when it was 00012. Clunking shifts are (almost) gone with 00002 and flaring seems reduced as well.