ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
MPG info.

1st tank - 30.195 mpgs
2nd tank - 29.95
3rd tank - 31.12

My guess, we are hauling somewhere between 500 and 700 pounds of "stuff."

As stated previously, after the speedometer settled down, the Cruise worked fairly well at and above 60 mph. Seemed to "hunt" below 60 mph.

Okay, got the Malone Tune this afternoon ......... Gees, what a difference!

The starting issue is gone (fingers crossed...LOL). The extra torque across the RPM range is definitely "much" improved. Also, accelerating at about 1900 rpm in 4th gear is very doable, whereas, previously, that was a no, no and had to be achieved with a shift to 3rd gear.

Back to the Cruise, after the tune, it is very settled at speeds down to 30 mph... no hunting or kicking-out!

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
MPGs look good!

I also vouch for Malone - in fact, just made him a little testimonial for his web site. I think he has tuned more TDI Vanagons (and 78 Buses) than anyone else. Did you get get Stage 1 or Stage 2 or?

One suggestion: I've been lookng for ways to minimize transaxle issues. This is acute for me as I'm paying to have the 2nd rebuild done right now and it's spendy and very inconvenient.

So, about your comment of flooring it at 1900 RPMS... I've been asking around and Justin Soares who has done many Vanagon TDI conversions told me to not to lug. I asked him how he defined lugging and he said:

"I would say anything under 2k and under load (ie, heavily loaded, towing, or going up hill) is lugging. Better to over rev than to lug a diesel"

This is a big YMMV. I'm not sure that is written in stone somewhere and I was quite happy for a while driving exactly as you described. I'm also not convinced this caused my issue...

Mark

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Yep, if gearbox is considered "weak", then use a lower gear to accel or climb, and let engine rev higher. That reduces the torque going through the gearset to get the same job done. It does not change the torque at the ring/pinion, but does reduce the load on at least some of the tranny parts.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
When I mentioned accelerating from 1800 to 1900 RPMs in 4th gear, I did not mean WOT. I'd never do a WOT from that RPM range in top gear (in the Van or my Jetta).

The point I was trying to make, is how responsive it is at 1800 RPM in 4th gear on the level ......... remember, the Vanagon tranny is not geared the same as a Jetta/Golf/Passat. 4th gear in the Vanagon is very similar to 4th gear in the Jetta/Golf/Passat (Vanagon @ > 2975 RPM = 70 mph).

My tranny has the up-graded 3rd/4th gear hub, new 3rd and 4th gears, new bearings, etc., and is the coveted tranny for the rail buggy entusiast. It has new German Lobo CV Joints. However, I don't plan to abuse it.

A final tweaking last evening/earlier today has, 1. further improved the starting to an almost instant bamb when I hit the ignition (cold or hot), 2. the response in all gears is more impressive, 3. overall driving is much smoother, 4. more fun to drive ........ will make those long road trips very enjoyable!:)

In the morning, before departing Sunday River, I have to address the pressure side Turbo hose (blows off)...:D (someone said something about using hair spray as a glue:D)

Last edited:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Andy,

Sounds good. It's nice when all the pieces are working nicely. I remember when I finally resolved my clutch not disengaging issue and I could finally drive without stress :)

Are you using Swepco 201 in the trans or ?

I also heard about using hair spray as glue for silicone tubes to stay put. That said, I have had no issues with anything blowing off. I have nice T-bolt clamps cranked down hard on metal tubes and not as hard onto plastic.

Good luck!
Mark

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi, 1998 New Beetle TDi, 1.8T powered 87 Westy Vanagon
Been following your thread for some time, and am currently contemplating malone tunes for both our MKIV cars... Thanks for the input!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, today, we drove east from Bethel, Maine (Sunday River Resort) to Acadia Island, Maine on the coast........ awesome in the hills, valleys, curves, etc. Not pitching a tent tonight ..... motels have cut the rates big-time. Raining like crazy here at 6:30 pm.

Due to the rain this morning, I did not "fix" the blown loose Turbo hose until I reached a dry community (in McDs parking lot:eek:). The hose wasn't entirely blown off, it did hang on enough to provide up to about 12 psi boost.

Anyway, when I hit the road after fixing the hose connection (cleaning and hair spray), the Turbo went into limp mode (about 1 to 2 PSI boost). I suspect the ECU didn't like the new numbers after repairing the leak. So, as I was traveling along at about 40 mph down hill (in traffic), I cut the engine off momentarily and then kick-started........ limp was gone! It has started and performed flawlessly the rest of the day! ........ very happy!:D

As I understand, the lowest level tune will make a very noticeable difference in performance........ and, as I understand, the extra power (any tune) is there for the tapping. It will only affect fuel economy negatively if you tap into that power a lot.:)

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Wish you the best on your trip, I hope all goes well, I am hoping this next year we can get our camper together and bring it to the next fest

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We cruised Acadia National Park most of the day! The engine prrrrs like a kitten on cruise in 3rd gear at 30 to 35 mph........ excellent for holding a good steady speed in those places where enforcement is strict!

Dang! It is raining cats and dogs! Yeah, it should have been a Westy!

ErnDawg

TDI
2002 Jetta, 1991 Vanagon Westfalia w/ 96 1Z TDI
Wishing you the best on your trip as well! I am going to take my Westy over to Tennessee for a wedding this weekend. This is thanks to all of the information from everyone on your thread! I wish I would have done the same. I still have some planned tweaks to make and I'm sure some unplanned as well. All said, my hands touched most all of the transplant which gives me tremendous insight for the future! Hope to make one of the trips someday, thanks to the tdiclub.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another day cruising Mt Desert Island (Acadia National Park) with lots of stops for viewing, pics, etc. (the sun was out, awesome)

I filled-up the tank this evening (all it would hold).........GPS - 412 miles, gallons 10.659 = 38.652 MPGs

Yes, that is hard to believe. I filled-up at the station right outside of Sunday River Monday morning.... all it would hold. We drove here to Acadia and then practically all over the island the last two days......... lots of 2nd and 3rd gear use as well as 4th (top gear).

The next tank will provide the balancing info as to whether these numbers are good and real.... if so, the Tune has made an awesome difference. Of course, we've done very little over 60 mph with this last tank of fuel (first one after the Tune).

Now, the bad news: Google no longer supports my Dishmail (e-mail account)... lost it last night. So, no communicating back home via e-mail.

Then, this evening, I lost my cell phone.........:mad:
Walmart trac phone, here I come!:D

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I filled-up the tank this evening (all it would hold).........GPS - 412 miles, gallons 10.659 = 38.652 MPGs

Yes, that is hard to believe.

With an AHU and stock tune in my Westy (400 pounds more than your tintop?) I once averaged 39 MPG over 1500 miles, so your 38.6 is totally reasonable IMO. Most of the 1500 miles was at 55 MPH or slower fwiw.

emus528

Veteran Member
TDI
See sig
Andy. After my conversion (ALH with Rocketchip 2/3/4) I was constantly blowing turbo/IC hoses.

The tell-tale "pop and woosh" was so familiar that my daughters would groan and say "dad, a turbo hose just blew".

Whenever I thought I "fixed" one another popped off. Seemed like the "weakest link scenario". What finally worked for me was "flaring" the ends of the tubes (amazing what 5 minute JB weld can do :D). I also used T-bolt clamps and haven't had issues since.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dang!

The only place east of the center of North America where it's raining, is right over our TENT in Acadia National Park, Maine....:mad::D

Lee Braselton

TDI
2001 Jetta - this one got totaled @ 222k miles, now have 2003 with 168K
Andy, check your facebook page, I sent you a message, a lady has your cell phone. I'm not sure where she is located but she left her number with Freda.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We got the phone back this morning......... nice lady!

Thanks bro for all your help!

We had a great 3rd day here at Acadia National Park........ heading for New Brunswick tomorrow!

EDIT: VW Nut.......... even if I didn't over pay the water bill, I/we deserve a refund....LOL

Last edited:

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
well i hope the rest of the trip is a dry one Andy, ill be praying for ya thought you might find that cute...lol

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, we only made it to Calais, Maine (just across from Canada) on highway 1. We spent some time today on Campobello Island south of here in Canada (Roosevelt Campobello International Park).

On the way back through USA Customs, with the window down, I could hear a "cow bell" ring in the rear of the Van. The officer said it was probably exhaust related. He was right!:eek:

The two braces (angle iron) on the left rear of the engine that hold the exhaust up, had both broken. The main hanger, which is welded and bolted to the CAT, was still holding the exhaust/CAT/muffler in place with no issues there! (Wow! David Marshall, where are you when I need you?)

An old dude at a little garage sent me to a welder in the coastal bush back country. The welder allowed me to work in his parking lot to remove the braces for him to weld...... got it going in about an hour.:D

Also, found a minor coolant leak due to poorly fitting hose clamp (spring type). I replaced it with a screw type clamp from NAPA (no charge, wow:D).

We are debating whether to continue on to Nova Scotia or head for home on some scenic routes (my Schnauzer, Scruff, misses me:rolleyes:, according to my aunt).

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
When I first got my swap going I had the exhaust system break repeatedly due to fatigue from the vibrarions.

We figured if we tied the exhaust to the engine then it'd all vibrate together and not come apart, if that makes sense. It didn't work.

Now it's been pretty well sorted for a while. The solution was to use a rubber exhaust hangar at the place where it was breaking rather than trying to tie it together solidly with the 1/4" thick steel.

On mine, there's a solid mount that holds the exhaust right after the flex pipe. Then at the tail pipe end is the rubber mount.

Good luck!
Mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I first got my swap going I had the exhaust system break repeatedly due to fatigue from the vibrarions.

We figured if we tied the exhaust to the engine then it'd all vibrate together and not come apart, if that makes sense. It didn't work.

Now it's been pretty well sorted for a while. The solution was to use a rubber exhaust hangar at the place where it was breaking rather than trying to tie it together solidly with the 1/4" thick steel.

On mine, there's a solid mount that holds the exhaust right after the flex pipe. Then at the tail pipe end is the rubber mount.

Good luck!
Mark
Mark, I had also assumed just let the exhaust vibe with the engine ... obviously it doesn't work in the long run.

So, I'll be doing some mods using rubber........ and, I had never given it the slightest thought. Thanks for the tip!:D

Well, it's morning and we still haven't made a decision as to go on or turn south toward Kentucky.....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We are on the coast of New Brunswick up from St John in a small community named Hopewell.

The Van done fine today, although the Turbo hose has blown loose again. I found that issue right before turning in for the night. Apparently it is providing adequate boost as there is no limp mode or check engine light.

The engine continues to start good, cold or hot. However, not reported, there was one morning it acted strange with an 8 to 10 second crank before firing up. That has not been repeated. I think it had to do with me just hitting the starter without allow the GPs to do their thingy.

We filled-up in Calais, Maine this morning....... 35.665 MPGs.

Tomorrow, we are heading to Glace Bay, Nova Scotia.......... eastern end of Benton, Island.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
Andy,
When you get home, have somebody either "roll" a bead (local tuner shop, kids with turbos...) on the end of your metal charge pipes or weld a small bead all the way around at the end. Either one will stop your clamped hose from sliding off the end and use good stainless "T" bolt clamps, tightened well. Clean the pipes and inside of the hoses with brake clean spray solvent and wipe with a clean rag. Allow to dry off then connect. Done this way, it will never be an issue again.
About the muffler, I agree with the Mark guy above, it's just too long, hanging off the pipe. If you can weld in a long (6 inch at least) stainless flex pipe with stainless braided covering, as close to the engine center line as possible (to minimize the amplitude of motion) then hang the muffler on rubber mounts, it should be more durable.
Cam

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Andy if you are on your way back to Kentucky and Cape Cod isn't too far, you can swing by my shop and use my bead rolling pliers and anything else you need to make your final leg more pleasant! It is worth a visit IMHO :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Andy if you are on your way back to Kentucky and Cape Cod isn't too far, you can swing by my shop and use my bead rolling pliers and anything else you need to make your final leg more pleasant! It is worth a visit IMHO :)
Wow! That is an option we may not turn down. I was looking for a quick return route that allows me to swing through West Virginia near Beckley. Dee wants to photo shoot some covered bridges there.

So, down I-95, then work our way over to I-81 is the tentative plan. I-95 puts us right through Boston.....

No promises, but will let you know.

I do have a new hose for the Turbo,,,,,,, spare on board!:D

EDIT: Cam, I definitely need to re-visit "hanging" of the exhaust system. It will be fine until we get home! (check your e-mail)

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Wow! That is an option we may not turn down. I was looking for a quick return route that allows me to swing through West Virginia near Beckley. Dee wants to photo shoot some covered bridges there.

So, down I-95, then work our way over to I-81 is the tentative plan. I-95 puts us right through Boston.....

No promises, but will let you know.

I do have a new hose for the Turbo,,,,,,, spare on board!:D

EDIT: Cam, I definitely need to re-visit "hanging" of the exhaust system. It will be fine until we get home! (check your e-mail)
We could even throw it up on the lift provided I don't have something tying it up :D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today

Just over into Nova Scotia, the rain and wind were awful and getting worse by the mile. We stopped at the visitor and information center to get a weather forecast. The forecast indicated basically the same all day and tomorrow as well as most of the rest of the week.

So, we made a tough decision .......... turned around and headed home.

Also, the Turbo hose blew-off during the deluge of rain. In fact, I drove it probably over 200 miles with no or low boost. It would occassionally go into limpe mode. The extra ignition was perfect for shutting down the engine for a few seconds and then kick starting it to get out of limp mode. I did that a few times. It would go into limp mode on hills when I pressed the accelerator down to maintain speed.

We finally found a dry spot over near Fredericton where I replaced the hose.......

We are now south of Bangor, Maine!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today

We left Waterville, ME very early this morning putting in an 11 hour day of drving. Although it was a long day, the distance could have been farther, if it had not been for delays due to road repair and a couple of wrecks. Also, one stretch of back road (non-interstate) turned out to be a bad decision.... road work and lots of local traffic.

Anyway, we are in Carlisle, PA on I-81 west of Harrisburg.

The repair on the Turbo hose was a success... no blow-offs today. Also, I ran at and above 70 mph at least 50% of the way with the rest at or above 65 mph (other than when stuck in delays)

The one fill-up was 29.998 MPG ....... tapping the extra power from the tune and cruising faster.

Tomorrow, we plan to spend a little time in the back country of WV at Babcock State Park.......ultimately arriving at home late!