ALH into Isuzu

SDGuy64

TDI
Alh
I'm wanting to convert my Isuzu to a VW TDI. There are no adapters available to mate the GM 60 degree v6 (Isuzu 3.2/3.5) to the TDI, but there are adapters for the Jeep 4.0l. Since the Isuzu ar5 is the same basic transmission as the Jeep ax15, can I swap the bellhousing and just use the Jeep pressure plate with an Isuzu clutch disk or do I need to change the ar5 input shaft to the Jeep part? I understand that I will need to take the slave cylinder into consideration, but I'm wanting verification that my idea for the bellhousing is workable.

Last edited:

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
Interesting. I have an ax15 external slave bellhousing in my parts pile, and even an extra OEM flywheel if your interested. Do you happen to know what the spline count is of the input shaft of yours?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Have you compared the input shaft legnth, diameter and splines between the two transmissions?

SDGuy64

TDI
Alh
I would definitely be interested in the bellhousing and flywheel... thank you. PM me with a quote on shipping them to zip code 57103. The input shaft is approximately a quarter inch longer on the Isuzu ar5, which I can easily trim if needed. I know the spline count is different but can't remember what it is without checking. My storage unit is about 30 miles away and we got several inches of snow last night, so not sure when I will make it out there next.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
If the isuzu is longer you can do what the land cruiser guys used to do on the Toyota land cruiser 3 speed to chevy v8 swap.

The clutch spline spine between Toyota and chevy was the same but the Toyota input shaft was longer than gm

The bolt pattern that attached the Toyota bell housing to the transmission was near identical to chevy bell housing.

A steel spacer was installed between the oem Toyota transmission and the new chevy v8 engine bell housing.

The difference was @ an inch.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Nothing wrong with mixing clutch disc and pressure plates as long as clearance is good. I know they make it more difficult these days because of liability :( but you used to be able to go through the parts books and find clutch disc's by spline and diameter. My first Isuzu powered Jeep ZJ had a Ford disc in it with the original Isuzu pressure plate but that was about 16 years ago.