ALH from 98 bug into 96 Audi S6

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
Sweeet. Oil pan, oil pan plugs, rod bearings and bolts, and oil pickup all arrived today. Time to get to work!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got to work on the car again. Dad had a Bombardier sidewalk snowplow in the shop for nearly three weeks.

So I finally got the motor together with all the new bits and pieces - coolant flange, oil pan, clutch and FW, pilot bearing, new rod bearings, and oil pickup:

Here you can see how the oil pan is shaped. I actually pick up three or four extra tranny-engine bolts as well because of the design of the pan, which is nice.

Here it is in the car and the gap to the subframe. I'll be able to put the piece I cut out of the subframe back in as is:

And finally the driveline. Looks pretty good to me:

79cbx

TDI
95 audi a6q avant tdi
audi a6 tdi swap

hi i have done a swap in a c4 avant quattro i will post some pics it has good power 44-48 mpg

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
So I finally started taking the wiring harness out of the bug. Bigger task than I had originally thought. I got everything ready to come out of the engine, but I still have to remove some stuff from the interior to get it all out. It's insane how much crap is in there. It's going to SUCK separating all of the unnecessary stuff out. I've been looking at this thread for some guidance.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Seriously, what a PITA this was... I even cut some wires to make my life easier. The ones to the rear of the car as well as the ones past the center console heading to the passenger's side of the car. Anyway, now it's time to get to the nitty gritty and pull out just what I need for the motor/ecu. Fuel pump, glow plugs, etc. etc.

turboquattro

TDI
Audi 2,5tdi
Ahhh... nothing like some spaghetti for dinner... I am sure you'll figure it out.. ;)

A new project is about to start overseas.. just bought an 80quattro avant and going 2.5tdi again..

See you Thursday?

Cheers

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I will be documenting pretty much everything with the wiring out of necessity - I'll need to figure out *** happened in there at some point in the future I'm sure!

I officially have a "finish date" - August 23. I NEED to have this car done and on the road by then, because I'm committed to going to //Sfest in this car! I'm bringing my son and I need to look cool in front of all the other //festers for him ;)

Where did my list go.... ah, there it is:

- complete mounting
- swap engine harness/wiring/cluster/ECU/MAF
- swap go-pedal from the bug
- figure out fuel lines
- intake and exhaust
- plumbing: oil, water, A/C

Doable? I think so

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I will be documenting pretty much everything with the wiring out of necessity - I'll need to figure out *** happened in there at some point in the future I'm sure!

I officially have a "finish date" - August 23. I NEED to have this car done and on the road by then, because I'm committed to going to //Sfest in this car! I'm bringing my son and I need to look cool in front of all the other //festers for him ;)

Where did my list go.... ah, there it is:

- complete mounting
- swap engine harness/wiring/cluster/ECU/MAF
- swap go-pedal from the bug
- figure out fuel lines
- intake and exhaust
- plumbing: oil, water, A/C

Doable? I think so
Some people operate better under tight time constraints. Even though I prefer not to operate under said conditions, I tend to put myself in that position more often than I'd prefer to. :rolleyes: Get your ducks in a row ahead of time so you're not stalled by parts MIA. I think you can do it. Please keep us informed of your progress.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
The rolling chassis is done save for one bolt for the big Porsche brakes, which I have on order.

Finished the driver's side motor mount as well. Tomorrow the passenger's side will be done as well as the snub mount. Fabricating stuff takes a long time.

Then we're on to the other fun stuff! Maybe I'll start with the go-pedal, or fuel lines... I dunno, maybe the intake. Haha... we'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow I guess. The fuel lines should be really easy. Actually all of the other stuff should be really easy. I've got 20 days!

I'll get a photo of the mounts up soon. It'll be nice to have all of the basic really physical stuff done and then just plumbing and wiring.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Way to go, sounds like you are making some good progress on it. I ended up with your dad's old comp turbo, but that's a different project for a different day.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Way to go, sounds like you are making some good progress on it. I ended up with your dad's old comp turbo, but that's a different project for a different day.
Awesome! What are you going to use it on? I'm sure Hank already mentioned that an exhaust housing in the .8 A/R range will be best for that thing... you could even try a .6 if you wanted to help spool even more. Regardless I'm still curious to see what someone can do with that turbo on this side of the ocean.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2.7tt motor that I'll be putting rods into for a semi-budget big single v-6. I want to find a clean B4 90Q to put it into and run it on E-85.

I haven't really started anything yet, I need to get my TDI Audi finished up before I start another project.

Last edited:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2.7tt motor that I'll be putting rods into for a semi-budget big single v-6. I want to find a clean B4 90Q to put it into and run it on E-85.

I haven't really started anything yet, I need to get my TDI Audi finished up before I start another project.
The 6465 as a single turbo conversion would be pretty damn sick. Full boost at 4500 (use a QSV and it'd be below 4k!), 650whp, 35+psi.... hells yeah.

As for the TDI, I got the engine mounts and snub mount done and painted today. Now I have to remove the engine, put the throwout bearing and plate in, and weld the subframe back together. Then it's motor in and WOOHOO plumbing!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Tomorrow I am pulling the motor, welding the subframe back together, and reinstalling the engine. then it's time to get all the physical motor stuff done -coolant/fuel/intake/exhaust. I think I should be able to get most of the coolant and fuel and intake done tomorrow. I have an turbo outlet gasket kit with new copper nuts coming from IDparts. Wiring will be last. I have two weeks as of today.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Well that was a decent day. While my brother in law's car was on the hoist getting finished up I started tackling the last of the wiring harness. It's just one plug and what all it connects to that's left, and I'll need the wiring diagram to know what I can cut out.

Then the TDI went on the lift, I pulled the engine, then put the TO bearing etc in the trans, dad welded the subframe back together. It got a coat of POR15 and back in the motor went. For the final time! Got to tighten up all the mounts and everything looks good. Subframe has lots of clearance to the oil pan so that's great as well.

Once that was together I started tackling the intake and dad started on the coolant lines. In about an hour I finished what is perhaps the world's most ghetto intake. I used a bunch of the bug plumbing and the bug intercooler as well as the common "michelin man" hose from the S6. I'll have to take a picture but it's kind of embarrassing. I used a small cone air filter we had in the shop, then it goes to the MAF, then the MM hose, onto a rubber 90* from the bug which I put a piece of the original plastic plumbing in to keep it stiff. The intercooler is all out of whack as well, not straight or angled correctly but it WILL work temporarily. Eventually I'll be using a FMIC when I put a new turbo on so it will all change anyway.

Dad removed the rad because it's leaking and toyed with the idea of using the bug rad and ac condenser but it just won't fit, so we've got to take one off of one of the spare cars (yes, one of).

So then we started on fuel lines and I should be able to finish them in about half an hour once I get another 5/16" barbed T. I have one but I need two for the "H" fuel regulator setup. Now it's dinner and I'm being yelled at, so this is to be continued tomorrow! Perhaps with pics...

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
There have been things with my Audi that were less than pretty, but they were functional. This time around I'm taking more time and am trying to do things a bit better.

It's always gratifying to have a good days work.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Today wasn't quite as productive since I needed half the day to move a ****ing playset and then another three hours on top of that to go for lunch with my sister and brother in law. Which of course was great! But that playset... ugh.

Anyway, I finished the fuel lines after picking up $50 in high pressure fuel line from Canadian Tire. Then I removed the rad from the spare S6. The whole front end had to be taken off so that took some time. But anyway, pics from ghettoland coming. The to-do list is getting shorter!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
fuel lines with H (yes I know I need to cut the clamps)

general engine bay with superdope intake

overhead. I still need to somehow "mount" the filter

front sort of showing the angle of the IC. it'll work for now.

big font to-do list!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Today we finished off the coolant lines and got started on the wiring. All of the hoses I used were from the bug, the S6, or a 97 Passat. Pretty awesome.

Wiring is a nightmare. It's such a tangled mess. I've got nearly all of the ECU connections removed, save for one plug, which goes into the instrument cluster, the throttle pedal, vagcom, and a whole bunch of other little connections that I'm not sure about yet (blue, orange, red, black, white).

This is mostly what I need I think:

This is where I'm at overall with all the extra crap:

And this is the engine in the car, all plumbed and waiting to be fired up! Dang I hate wiring. Thank goodness for my dad and his patience because I think at this point I'd have given up.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Made some more good progress today. Got the throttle pedal made up and installed. I must say, it's very simple and a bit nicer than VW's solution :p

Also got pretty deep into the wiring. We've got everything labeled and taken apart now, with what we think is everything we'll need that's connected to the ECU. The Audi didn't have a clutch safety switch - is this part of the ECU? Anyway, full day tomorrow and we should be able to get most/lots of the wiring tied in. Maybe even have the car fired up!

Throttle pedal:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Need some help re: the starter. We tried to fire it up today only to realize that the 2.2L AAN starter is nowhere near strong enough.

SO after some researching, I figured that a 1.9L TDI Quattro starter should work - if it's quattro it should be the 01E right? Any advice would help. My dad just picked up a 2.5L 5cyl TDI A6 Avant but that starter is HUGE, two inches longer and much larger diameter. I can't fit one like it in with the engine mount that I have now, so I figured a 1.9 TDI A6 or A4 would work.

I just need it to bolt into the 01E and be strong enough.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Need some help re: the starter. We tried to fire it up today only to realize that the 2.2L AAN starter is nowhere near strong enough.

SO after some researching, I figured that a 1.9L TDI Quattro starter should work - if it's quattro it should be the 01E right? Any advice would help. My dad just picked up a 2.5L 5cyl TDI A6 Avant but that starter is HUGE, two inches longer and much larger diameter. I can't fit one like it in with the engine mount that I have now, so I figured a 1.9 TDI A6 or A4 would work.

I just need it to bolt into the 01E and be strong enough.
Use a 04-05 passat tdi starter. It bolts onto the 01E just fine :)

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been told that the Passat 2.8 starter will also work if you have difficulty finding the TDI starter.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I just purchased a new one off ebay for $120, shipping included - we'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the help guys. Back to wiring and waiting...

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
The Audi didn't have a clutch safety switch - is this part of the ECU?
If you plan on using cruise control you will need the clutch switch. If not then you can get away without it.

You will need both brake switches wired in though I believe.