ALH engine in a 2009 CBEA Jetta TDI

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
Hi! Do you know somebody who put ALH engine instead the stock CBEA on a 2009 Jetta TDI, 6M ? Will fit with the stock transmission? Will be nice to have a mechanical engine and to trow out all those captors in CBEA! How about 1.9 PD? Thanks!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Anything is possible, but I don't think it would be worthwhile. You'd run into a lot of wiring headaches. And it would technically be illegal. Also, all engines are mechanical. Why not modify the common rail engine to be more reliable?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think that would be silly. Just find a nice, clean, 2002 Jetta TDI if that is what you are after.

The CR engine proper is overall pretty good. Smooth, quiet, powerful. If you are thinking about thumbing your nose at the legal side of things and put an old engine in a newer car, I'd instead consider making your newer engine more reliable and less of a headache and modifying some of it with some of the parts/software that is available to do so.

The CR engines run absolutely fantastic with a DPF/cat/EGR delete and a mild tune, don't smoke or smell any different than an ALH would (maybe even less) and get about the same MPGs.

I do like the idea of the DPF, though, as it does (when working properly) drastically reduce (pretty much eliminate) and black diesel soot and smell. I just wish they could be made to be more durable as well as not tax the rest of the engine components so bad.

RomanDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta SW 6M
I like the CBEA engine, but I don't like all those sensors / captors (electrical stuff) that are much less reliable than the engine. I bout the car @ 100000 km / 2 years old. Two monts later I found oil in the expansion tank cooling system. I learn that the car had the same problem twice before, but was "fixed" by flushing the cooling system. VW changed the engine head for free and send it in Austria were was made, to see the problem (they brought in an expert from Toronto, ON and another one from Chattanooga, TN). Later: EGR problem, fixed also for free.
At 200000 km I decided to change the transmission fluid: I found metal (magnetic - silver, and nonmagnetic - cooper like) particles in the old fluid. After another 100000 km no particules at all in the fluid. Also, too many electromechanical parts failures, including HPFP! That make me think that the previous owner was an *******! Did not toke care at all about the car! And the cherry on the cake: working in the timing belt side, I noted that most likely the oil pan was removed and reinstalled: the creature who did the job used the cheapest white silicon (3 $ probably)to seal it !!! Could be possible that the previous owner did more km than indicated by odometer?
My father had an old MB 200D (1978, 123 class) and last like a champ for more than 500000km.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A lot of the problems can be adressed simply by deleting and tuning out components. DPF, hp and lp EGR, cats, exhaust flapper, intake flapper, ASV, extra egt sensors, etc. And the hpfp and aux. lift pump can be replaced with the cp3 hpfp. That should eliminate 90% of the headaches.