Alarm arming issue??

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
PREREQU: The only thing i've done today before this happened was:

golf tee the EGR. It threw a code. I put it back, went to autozone, cleared the code.

THEN:

I rebadged my car tonight to Bora, and decided to take it to a lighted parking lot for pictures. My friend closed the passenger door to follow me out and the alarm armed! :mad: While car running! :mad: Good thing my window regulators need to be replaced, we slid the window down...

Later:

I was in, and dropped friend off. Passenger door closed again, about 30 secs later, security system armed...couldnt unlock doors. Had to manually unlock - set off alarm - put key in door to disable.

K, so I thought only the mk4's locked the doors after time, etc. Why is this happening, and only today, and only with passenger door? HELP please...

tmoya4646

Veteran Member
TDI
98' black Jetta TDI
At least yours arms right away, even when you don't want it to :p...mine arms after 1 minute of pressing the lock button on my key fob....sigh...

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Known issue. Search for "door lock microswitch".
One of the 4 microswitches in the door breaks and the system no longer recognizes that a door is unlocked or open. Alternatively - or in addition to this defect - there may be bad solder contacts on the circuit board. It is all well described in the postings.
It is a DIY repair/replacement or you can buy a complete lock assembly and replace ($$$).

Ok, I caved in...here is the link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=77648

Last edited:

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
do you have any other wiring issues going on? You may want to check your grounds if you do.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
thank you for that link, thats aweome! I didnt know that would have to do with security, you learn something new every day! I will do that today.

as for other electrical issues, I cleaned the grounds recently but my GP light still flashed, after new brake switch was installed still. Brake lights work...

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
tmoya4646 said:
At least yours arms right away, even when you don't want it to :p...mine arms after 1 minute of pressing the lock button on my key fob....sigh...

i still owe you picture man, Ive been busy but I will have them coming. I ditched my fob. till i read a thread last night about how to reprogram it...i shall try that today. you give it a shot too, your symptom was described. search 'security system'.

tmoya4646

Veteran Member
TDI
98' black Jetta TDI
Thanks Bora. It's not a SERIOUS problem, but it is annoying. Having to wait by my car in Newark for 1 minute before I can go to class - it's necessary, but a nuissance..

I'm all for reprogramming the alarm system, but I'll check the passenger door first. Most likely it's a cut wire or disconnected plug somewhere...just need to know how to take apart the door. I tried it yesterday but to no avail. I can't seem to pry it open with the screws out :(

I'll search for 'security system' like you said. Maybe I'll find answers along the way. Thanks again!

~Tony

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
if you have to wait that long, it makes me wonder if that still happens when you use the key to lock it? Ive just gotten used to using the key for so long I still do it like that...

Im literally at my friends house right now about to go out and replace my switch. its been acting up a whole bunch starting last night with that DANG door. To get the panel off, make sure you have all the allen screws out. (check again) cuz they can blend in well. Then gently pry, because the clips are along the top. Start with the outside and lift up/out simultaniously (if you cant spell, stay consistant) and it will pop out. its just about being gentle and not using a lot of force. Then work your way in...Im out to do mine, Ill keep you updated!

tmoya4646

Veteran Member
TDI
98' black Jetta TDI
Thanks for the advice, Bora. I'll try it out this weekend, AFTER I install my PP520s and Aligator chips :D Hopefully all is well with the doorlock assembly.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
okay, we ran into a problem already...

took all the time to take my door apart (its COLD outside) to realize these instructions are for an A4:mad:. I dont even have wires going to that side of the door. looked further at a switch that is on the B pillar on the car, NOT the door. Is this my switch? Cuz if its that easy, then I can just go to the stealership and get the switch. Hmmm as my friend is sitting next to me taking the switch apart it has a TON of corrosion on it. We will try to clean it and test i guess. I wonder if the switch is just bad though and needs replacement.

It is different then the 3$ entirely so that mod can't be used...input?

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Last night we took the door apart again, and even the lock assembly out. NO microswitch. I realized that this has happened once before a few months ago, so it could be a short somewhere. Is there a ground location for the passenger door to look for, for cleaning? Seriously running out of ideas...

and its really embarrassing when a girl gets in (Single college life) and I have to reachout the door to unlock door. Lame.

tmoya4646

Veteran Member
TDI
98' black Jetta TDI
You know what sucks?? Limp mode...that is a B****!!!

I found out that I had a REALLY clogged intake and some bad vacuum hoses....but these were just a little portion of the cause. I also had a broken air filter/turbo hose....and I'm going to have to go to the stealership and get the part...sigh..

Alarm issues for my car will have to wait until further notice. Good luck in solving your alarm issues...wish I could be there to help you, but I've got bigger fish to fry...

~Tony

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Bora-chiara said:
Last night we took the door apart again, and even the lock assembly out. NO microswitch. I realized that this has happened once before a few months ago, so it could be a short somewhere. Is there a ground location for the passenger door to look for, for cleaning? Seriously running out of ideas...

and its really embarrassing when a girl gets in (Single college life) and I have to reachout the door to unlock door. Lame.
Truly sorry to send you down the wrong path; I must have seen the New Beetle entry in your post because I automatically assumed you were talking about an A4.:cool: