www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 8th, 2004, 21:25   #1
vwsandman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/47/44
Default Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!!

I have my drivers door all tore apart. I am trying to fix my door switch. The one that tells you if the door is open or not and turns on the interior lights and the door light on the door. I have determined that the little switch that does this is bad since it fell apart when I removed the lock assembly! Does any one know where I can get a replacement switch from? I hate to replace the whole assembly when just the little switch is bad. I figure Cherry electric must make a switch like this one. Someone must have found the part number/vendor for this little switch. It will be a piece of cake to fix just this switch.

Ok, we can fix this door switch for $3 USD! You need to go to Radio Shack and purchase Part number #275-016A. This is a Submini Lever Switch. It has NO and NC contacts. Now here is what you need to do.
1) Tear the door down to the door lock assembly. This is detailed in the Bentley.
2) Remove the door lock assembly from the door carrier assembly you just removed. You will need to drill out a rivit to do this as detailed in Bentley.
3) Once you have the door lock assembly out, you will see the switch in question. It is the one that has a red and blue wire going to it. Mine was ruined as outlined above.
4) You will need a dremel tool to slot out the holes that hold the switch in place to the new switch fits in.
4) Observe the posistion and how the old switch works.Then remove the old switch. It is held in place by two plastic plugs that are melted to hold the switch. Pry it out with a small flat bladed screwdriver and clip the wires at the switch. Then slot out the holes for the new switch with your dremel. You will be able to see what you need to slot by comparing the two switches.
5) Take the new switch and remove the lever by slowly twisting it out with a pliers. You don't need it, just the main body of the switch.
6) You will need two tiny screws and nuts, which I had laying around, otherwise you can get them at the hardware store. Attatch the new switch and solder the red and blur wires to the switch. One to the Common and one to the NO (normally open). Plug the electrical plug back in and test the operation of the switch.
7) Button it all back up and rejoice in the money you saved!

I also lubed the new switch with electrical grease and hopefully it will last for awhile. Now that it is all modified, I can slug a new one in if it fails again in the future. (hopefully I wont have to!)

I know these instructions are very basic, but if you have the ability to get all of this apart, you can change out this switch.
vwsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 19:44   #2
vwsandman
Veteran Member

TTT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old May 9th, 2004, 20:01   #3
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

Very nice!!!!
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 20:21   #4
JetPuf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: loswest mpg 32 Towing, average 45, highest 53 hwy

Sounds wonderful, now I have two reasons to goto Radio Shack, Evry mod, and this. My passanger door has the same problem you have and looks like I'll be able to get it fixed... GOOD WORK!
JetPuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 21:39   #5
MaxThrust
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 53mpg @ 85mph (best run)

Excellent write-up, and great detective work. As the above poster, my passenger door has become somewhat stupid. Next time I have time and no money, I can run to RS, grab that switch and fix my passenger door.

YMMV

Mike [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
MaxThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 21:51   #6
NYTDI
Veteran Member

Nice Work!

This should be sticky-ed or archived in a few places for easy reference.
NYTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:26   #7
vwsandman
Veteran Member

Thanks, Sorry no pics, I had every intention of posting some, but when I looked at all my pics they were too blurry to use. I sure wasn't going to tear into the door again to take more. Sorry.
Old May 12th, 2004, 00:24   #8
tadc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/37

Favorite Thread - Click!

Thanks, another project to add to my list...
tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:58   #9
BratscheMan
Veteran Member

Ivan,

I'm not having your specific problem, but for at least a couple of months my NB has "lost its voice" [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. When I shut off the engine while leaving the key in the ignition I no longer get the warning noises when I open the driver's door...even when the headlights are still on. I haven't drained the battery on account of leaving them on...yet. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Since you seem to be the Christopher Columbus of VW door panels [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I thought you might be the one to ask: Are there additional switches located there, or does the part you describe govern those features as well? Let me know once you have a chance to recover from your latest voyage. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
BratscheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 19:48   #10
tadc
Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not having your specific problem, but for at least a couple of months my NB has "lost its voice" [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. When I shut off the engine while leaving the key in the ignition I no longer get the warning noises when I open the driver's door...even when the headlights are still on. I haven't drained the battery on account of leaving them on...yet. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Since you seem to be the Christopher Columbus of VW door panels [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I thought you might be the one to ask: Are there additional switches located there, or does the part you describe govern those features as well? Let me know once you have a chance to recover from your latest voyage. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your problem is the same switch as he is talking about (tells the car if the door is open).

There are 3 switches in the latch mechanism. See this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...rev=#Post668340
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:28   #11
vwsandman
Veteran Member

Yep, what tadc said...three swithes...it is a whole new world getting to the other two switches... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:19   #12
JetPuf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: loswest mpg 32 Towing, average 45, highest 53 hwy

interesting yes... 3 switches makes it all that much more complicated... anyone have ideas what those other switches control?
JetPuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 20:55   #13
tadc
Veteran Member

probably the key-sense, for when you do the magic "windows-up" and "windows-down" thing.
Old May 28th, 2004, 15:42   #14
MaxThrust
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 53mpg @ 85mph (best run)

Thank you for taking the time to figure this out and then sharing it with the rest of us. I did this fix today and now my lights come on again when the door is opened. The switch was $2.89 and I spent roughly $40 on peripherals like a set of Triple-Square tools to get the lock carrier off the door. Other than the Triple-Square tools (Lisle {my sister's middle name} from Auto Zone), the most expensive tool was a Carbide carving tip for my Dremel at $13. The job would have been under a couple of hours, except I forgot to get screws to hold the new switch--had to call my wife to come and get me, she needed a break form work anyway--and found that some of the panel holders were missing, probably from the window regulator/clip replacement. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I will tackle the passenger door tomorrow morning while it's still cool. I now have the procedure down and hopefully all of the little 'extras' I might need to get the job done in short order.

You don't realize how much the interior lights are used until you open your door and they don't work. It is also annoying if you open the door and don't put the key in the ignition right away and the car locks and rearms itself.

One last note; if you tackle this job yourself you might want to read this write-up from Vortex, complete with pictures, on how to take the door apart. It really helped me out and I could run in the house and refer to it as needed.

YMMV

Mike [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
MaxThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:35   #15
vwsandman
Veteran Member

Mike,
Glad to have been able to help! What would be really cool is to do some more research and find an exact replacement switch...someday I will have the time...