Air conditioning

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
I have a 2003 wagen that the compressor clutch won’t spin. Chilton manual shows I can jumper pins 1&2 on a 4 pin plug but mine is a 3 pin plug. Or is there a way I can do it with my VCDS? Thank you in advance.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
The compressor clutch is a 2-pin connector. You can test the clutch coil with a multimeter, should read a few ohms. Open circuit clutch coils are not uncommon.

If you are referring to the 3-pin connector on the radiator, that's the temperature sensor for the fans. Both fans should run on low with key on AC on.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The compressor also won't spin if there's no pressure in the system, and neither will the fans. But you can check the functionality of both as outlined by @P2B above.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You should check out DanG144's thread, it will have some good troubleshooting for the HVAC/cooling system.

On a 2003, the fans should BOTH come on LOW speed if the A/C is switched on, even if the engine isn't running (so long as the key is on).

oilhammer

TDI
As mentioned above, it is not a switch, it is a sensor. Don't mess with "jumping" anything, you'll run the risk of damaging something like the solid-state fan control module that controls the compressor and fans. This isn't 1985. And I'd trust a Chilton manual for a Volkswagen as much as I'd trust a BBQ invite from Jeffrey Dahmer.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
You should check out DanG144's thread, it will have some good troubleshooting for the HVAC/cooling system.

On a 2003, the fans should BOTH come on LOW speed if the A/C is switched on, even if the engine isn't running (so long as the key is on).
Which one am I looking for? He has a lot of them. I tried just hooking a can up to it and it wouldn’t kick it on. I was also wondering how likely the pressure switch is to go bad. Also both fans do come on

oilhammer

TDI
Third time: not a switch. A sensor. And they never fail on the ALH cars. Typical 3-wire sensor: Power, Ground, Signal back to controller (in this case, the solid state Fan Control Module).

Here is Dan's thread:

Put the silly cans down. Please.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Have you checked fuses or clutch coil resistance yet? Those are by far the most likely culprits given the fans run.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Have you checked fuses or clutch coil resistance yet? Those are by far the most likely culprits given the fans run.
I’ve checked all my fuses but have not checked clutch resistance yet as I haven’t been able to get it up under it to do so.