Agm or Lead Acid? Whats everyones favorite?

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Keep in mind there are like 3 major companies that make most of the batteries that are sold in the US.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
LiFePo4 is an excellent replacement for lead acid as long as it doesn't get below 32f. They do make them with heaters in them controlled through the bms, but again very pricey. I use homemade LiFePos for my bikes, tractor, and generator. They work great, were cheap to make, and are dead reliable.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
For the cost of 1 li-fe battery you can easily buy 3 or 4 lead acid batteries and 2 or 3 agm,.if not more. Till the price comes down at least 60% there is no benefit to them. They also have less energy storage capacity then li-ion or li-po. If your going lithium just go with the better chemistry, the bcm is more then capable of managing the minor voltage differences in fully charged packs.
To the op. Over the years I've used about every and any type of battery brand out there being an over the road diesel mechanic. I personally only run a few different brands, and get the best rated battery I can, or swap out for a better battery so long as it fits. I try to stick to interstate, deka(east penn), or exide (they make interstate) always had very good luck with them. Never had a long lasting wally world battery. About only thing I put them in is the mowers and it's hard to keep them going more then a few years, even being removed and hooked up to a storage charger. They are cheap though.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
LiFePo4's best feature is that it won't burst into flames like most all the other lithium tech. While it does have less energy it makes up for it in safety and cycle life. Also, it's much more tolerant of overcharge and discharge.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
LiFePo4's best feature is that it won't burst into flames like most all the other lithium tech. While it does have less energy it makes up for it in safety and cycle life. Also, it's much more tolerant of overcharge and discharge.
The realistic chances of li-on or li-po catching fire is very low. We use them everyday in high drain devices with no issues. Over/under charge conditions are limited by the bcm. Sure failure happens it does with everything, and I'm sure people were afraid of gas powered engines when they started to replace horses.
I digress, and were getting off topic...

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
My Audi calls for AGM. Walmart had the best price locally. Some recommended buying from fcpeuro to get the lifetime warrany. OE lasted 10 years. Last 2 MKIV got a Advance Auto AGM. Bit of overkill, but at the time you could use a discount code.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
dec 2010 Optima AGM in my TDI swapped taco until mid last year. Went dead for some reason but charged right back up, tested good and now lives on in my 69' mustang project. Over 12 years old and still kicking!
TDI swapped taco...do tell more. Photos?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Don't worry too much about the mass impact on horsepower. A Lead-acid is only costs about a single horsepower accelerating at 65 mph... :)

30 kg, 30 m/s and 1m/second squared...

Douglas

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
TDI swapped taco...do tell more. Photos?