Aftermarket Clutch Sound

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Beginner here. So please bear with me.

Just bought an 04 Passat BHW. Has Whitbread Kevlar Clutch installed along with some other goodies. Slight sound when clutch pedal isn’t pressed. Can barely distinguish from sound of engine. Goes away when pedal is pressed.. It’s more annoying than anything. Car holds power in all gears under full throttle too. Don’t worry about it?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Can’t add video

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Sounds like it is the normal single mass flywheel noise. I picked that up, and knew I would have it, when I changed over to the single mass flywheel. That is a known difference over the dual mass flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I honestly think all the hype of the noise found with single mass clutches is actually false.
I read a lot about clutch chatter when getting ready to install a new clutch in my car. After installing it I heard a different sounds that went away with the pressing of the clutch and assumed it was the so called clutch chatter.
Since I have installed a new transmission due to failing transmission. Now I hear nothing.
When in the process of finding this transmission I was looking at a new clutch and someone pointed out that it was actually more likely to be the input shaft bearing, so I installed the clutch I had as it wasn't very old.
I'm now very convinced that the dual mass clutch gave enough play that it didn't make the sound like it did with the old transmission.
The last transmission had probably 300kMi and the new one only has 160kMi now and is silent clutch pressed out not.
Lighter flywheels might change that, I do have the 21# single mass.

To answer your question OP, to do anything about it would require removal of the transmission and changing the input shaft bearing and seal. If it's slight, I would probably ignore it until you can tell it's really getting bad and you can't ignore it anymore.
I do recommend a drain and fill of the fluid. Be sure to fill it completely when you do though.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I honestly think all the hype of the noise found with single mass clutches is actually false.
I read a lot about clutch chatter when getting ready to install a new clutch in my car. After installing it I heard a different sounds that went away with the pressing of the clutch and assumed it was the so called clutch chatter.
Since I have installed a new transmission due to failing transmission. Now I hear nothing.
When in the process of finding this transmission I was looking at a new clutch and someone pointed out that it was actually more likely to be the input shaft bearing, so I installed the clutch I had as it wasn't very old.
I'm now very convinced that the dual mass clutch gave enough play that it didn't make the sound like it did with the old transmission.
The last transmission had probably 300kMi and the new one only has 160kMi now and is silent clutch pressed out not.
Lighter flywheels might change that, I do have the 21# single mass.

To answer your question OP, to do anything about it would require removal of the transmission and changing the input shaft bearing and seal. If it's slight, I would probably ignore it until you can tell it's really getting bad and you can't ignore it anymore.
I do recommend a drain and fill of the fluid. Be sure to fill it completely when you do though.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

It may also depend on the variance of transmission, I replaced the bearing and seal when I put in my single mass. Have just a slight noise when clutch is out. Barely noticeable though, unless you know what to listen for.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I had a SMF bolted to the ALH in my Vanagon. The sound I heard wasn't clutch chatter. It was the entire mass of the SMF rattling. Press the clutch pedal down and the rattle would go away. It rattled from day one. I changed the OE Pilot shaft to an aftermarket Pilot Shaft that accepts the TDI Clutch plate....... no change.

So, I installed a LUK DMF........... sooth as Kentucky Moonshine with zero rattle at idle or when pulling down low in a top gear.

Now, a few years ago, I installed a SMF from Idparts (the quiet one) in a friends 01 Jetta........... quiet and smooth.

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Well, I had a SMF bolted to the ALH in my Vanagon. The sound I heard wasn't clutch chatter. It was the entire mass of the SMF rattling. Press the clutch pedal down and the rattle would go away. It rattled from day one. I changed the OE Pilot shaft to an aftermarket Pilot Shaft that accepts the TDI Clutch plate....... no change.

So, I installed a LUK DMF........... sooth as Kentucky Moonshine with zero rattle at idle or when pulling down low in a top gear.

Now, a few years ago, I installed a SMF from Idparts (the quiet one) in a friends 01 Jetta........... quiet and smooth.

Hmmmm, interesting. Don’t fix what ain’t broke right? I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it