After 230,000 the motor mounts begin to go...

akinodin

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon
While diagnosing a crack in the exhaust on my '96 Passat the local mechanic noticed my engine move roughly 3'' when going from first to reverse. He said this movement caused my flex coupler to crack and release exhaust into my air intake. Got the flex tube replaced, no more exhaust coming through the vents. Now I need to fix the mounts asap. Not to familiar with getting new mounts. The local european mechanic wants ~800, the dealership ~1400. Three mounts they told me, two for the engine, one for the transmission. Sounds like four or more hours labor... any ideas out there?

WINDSORB4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
LOOKING
If you are semi-handy with a ratchet, and own a small floor jack you can do this yourself. On the cheap end you are looking at ~$120 for all three mounts. From the dealership they are more, but from what I've read they are the way to go as they are higher quality and last longer.

To get an idea of what you are up against here is a link showing how to replace them and the part numbers needed:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a3b4/mk3-jetta-passat-motor-mount-replacement.htm

Good luck!
Vince

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I agree. They're pretty simple to replace, even in a driveway. I can't believe they cost that much to have replaced at the dealership.

For that price: drive to Maine, buy some lobsters, feed me dinner while I replace them for you, and you'll still have money left over when it's done.

Sheesh!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Contact member aNut. He's in boulder and can do it right. or scarroll. Not sure which member would be closer.

Purchase your mounts from 1stvwparts.com and bring them to one of those guys and you'll be golden.

akinodin

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon
thanks for all the ideas. i actually have aNut work on my car whenever there is a diesel specific issue, he does a great job. don't have much of a work space up here so i may buy the parts myself and get the local guy to install. would be fun to do it myself, but i'm a little concerned with not having an engine lift and doing the transmission mount without removing the tranny. going to look into the diy option a bit more though.

twob4s

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Blue
While diagnosing a crack in the exhaust on my '96 Passat the local mechanic noticed my engine move roughly 3'' when going from first to reverse. He said this movement caused my flex coupler to crack and release exhaust into my air intake. Got the flex tube replaced, no more exhaust coming through the vents. Now I need to fix the mounts asap. Not to familiar with getting new mounts. The local european mechanic wants ~800, the dealership ~1400. Three mounts they told me, two for the engine, one for the transmission. Sounds like four or more hours labor... any ideas out there?
Read this thread about vibration

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335553

.....would you be interested in selling the old transmission mount? Please let us know how the new mounts work from a vibration perspective.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
stock oem from the dealer (1stvwparts.com) or the black forest stealth mounts are good choices. I was required to get the poly stealth mounts because of my jump out of the bay on acceleration engine, but after 15-20k of miles, they aren't bad at all. Stock Oem would be my first choice though, as it will add some vibration in the cabin to go any type of poly.

I have not put in the solid trans mount but I'm not sure how bad that one will be.

big_worm81

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta TDI's
I just replaced all three mounts on my 99 A3. The passenger's side was in rough shape!!! The passengers side and the front mount were pretty easy to replace, the transmission one was a little harder. I unbolted the transmission mount bracket from the tranny and supported the engine/tranny with a chain fall in order to swap that mount ... PITA ...

Recently tried to change the passengers side motor mount on my dad's 98 A3 and all the bolt heads are totally rusted, its a rusty "salted winter roads" mess down there ... not sure what we'll do to get them off ... try the torches next I guess ...

akinodin

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon
so it turns out i am going to do this job on my own. plan to replace both the motor mounts and hold out on the tranny mount, see how that goes for a starter. i'll be doing this in a week or so, if anyone has ideas hit me up. the diy tutorial is my guide. twob4's , yes, i will sell the mounts if you are still interested.

Riley

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V
If your starter is due new brushes, do it while replacing the front mount.

akinodin

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon
never replaced starter brushes, probably pretty easy though? i get a squeal sometimes when i starter the engine and one person said it was dust in the starter. anyone know about this issue? how do you know if the brushes are bad or it is time to change them? thanks.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Just read through that DIY, and the vibration thread. Is only the hydraulic filled trans mount, the hardest to find?

Has anybody verified if any online sites carry that mount or the OE mounts? Huge jump in price from Autohaus Az and 1stvwparts.

-Todd