Adding an AC to B4 Passat

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Is it possible to add AC to a B4 Passat that did not come with it from the factory? Better yet, would it be too much trouble to not make it worthwhile?

Last edited:

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
It’s absolutely possible if A/C was an option for that engine and chassis. The process would the same as retrofitting A/C on any other car.

I would never want to attempt it, personally given the amount of work involved in both sourcing the parts and doing the labor. Anything that involves pulling the dash is just something I’d rather avoid. That said, wiring is probably the biggest challenge… no idea if the non-equipped vehicles shared the same body harness.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
labor, probably easily 40 hours, 10 to take the dash on and off, another 10 sourcing parts from yards and eBay, and another 20 putting it all together.
It would add no value to the car other than sell-ability and that's not necessary.
sounds like a LOT of parts and if you do not have hvac tools it could be very costly.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I’m going to ask a few shops here to get an idea on cost. Parts won’t be the issue but labor more-so. Actually that brings up another possible issue, I may not be able to import it back to the U.S. with a non-original AC.

It’s absolutely possible if A/C was an option for that engine and chassis. The process would the same as retrofitting A/C on any other car.

I would never want to attempt it, personally given the amount of work involved in both sourcing the parts and doing the labor. Anything that involves pulling the dash is just something I’d rather avoid. That said, wiring is probably the biggest challenge… no idea if the non-equipped vehicles shared the same body harness.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
even if a shop takes 20 to 30 hours to do the job, its still about $2500 in labor. parts probably another $1500, new compressor and what not with new fan and evap and condenser, the rest can be junkyard.
my guess would be this is close to a $4,000 job if you paid someone to do it right. do it yourself and you could maybe get out of it for maybe a grand if you are willing to gamble on used parts.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
it really isn't the kind of thing a shop would do. it would probably cost a fortune, and the quality of work could be very hit-or-miss. i wouldn't even think about it.. but it's totally do-able if you can tackle it yourself and take the time and love the car. i added in AC to my mk3 using a universal condenser (not stock, have fmic etc so factory parts a no-go), modifying a couple lines and making a couple (bought an cheap amazon AC fitting hydrualic crimper and some quality fittings). did my own wiring, also not stock, but i think better. my flex-a-lite twin rad fans controlled by 1 simple relay and an adjustable speed-sensitive switch. the end result was awesome and working flawlessly. however, it took quite a bit of time figuring out the fitment, decide how to wire it, made some stupid mistakes that took hours and hours to troubleshoot. used the basic harbor freight AC gauge set and a couple cans... ideally, i would have used an extra valve to fill the 2nd can without adding in any outside air but i ran out of patience and just swapped cans real quick.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Oh, and you would need a vacuum pump.i bought the harbor freight one. Worked fine. Hoping it will last me a while, as I likely will only need it once in a blue moon...

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
For what it’s worth you can fit the A/C components yourself and let the shop do the final fill of the system and installing the receiver drier. That’s what I did with my Jetta. Still doesn’t help sourcing the parts… these cars are rare enough as is.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not only a gauge set, vac pump, scale, and adapters bit you also need a micron gauge, thermometer, a tank of nitrogen and a regulator and some other misc things like new o rings and all the various components.
You will probably need a donor car or you could try to pice the under dash HVAC togeather. You will need a new enclosure that has the ac coil and while your in there a new blower motor, blend door fix HVAC tape, and might as well go with an upgraded all metal heater core.
Other than this it's all bolt on under the hood.

The best advice has been said.
Do the dash swap and bolt on a compressor and get all the parts done. Take it to a ac shop and have them pressure test and fill it. Best to let them do the final connection on the dryer as if it sits with atmospheric air it will fail. It's a last minute connection. They are filled with dry nitrogen and require a clean ready to vacuum system.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks everyone. It is a super nice specimen with only 50k kms but I think Im going to go with the red one I looked at last month, a “Pacific” model. Theyre both arguably in equal condition and it already has AC.

I would like to add that I love this site and in the age electric I am glad there are still a few of us sticking with our TDIs. 🤙
Good choice, especially since it has the factory AC installed. However, bear in mind that importation would not care whether it did or didn't come with factory installed AC, lots of dealers in the US had the ability to install a factory supplied AC system on Mk2 cars in the mid/late 80's. I wouldn't doubt that a similar unit was available for Mk3 if so desired.

Also, you get those 15" wheels that we never got in the US...which is nice. I would also consider, if you can find one, picking up a spare of that wheel since they are not here in the US at all AFAIK. That way if something should happen you would have a replacement.

Condition of both cars is really nice....very good finds!!

Steve

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Absolutely, I will definitely be bringing over as many key parts as possible. 👍 Im also on the hunt for w syncro b4 or golf but even over here those are pretty rare. Im not sure if they even made a b4 passat tdi wagon syncro. If they have Ive never seen one over here.

Good choice, especially since it has the factory AC installed. However, bear in mind that importation would not care whether it did or didn't come with factory installed AC, lots of dealers in the US had the ability to install a factory supplied AC system on Mk2 cars in the mid/late 80's. I wouldn't doubt that a similar unit was available for Mk3 if so desired.

Also, you get those 15" wheels that we never got in the US...which is nice. I would also consider, if you can find one, picking up a spare of that wheel since they are not here in the US at all AFAIK. That way if something should happen you would have a replacement.

Condition of both cars is really nice....very good finds!!

Steve

Last edited:

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V, 2006 Dmax, 2005 Allroad, 2005 BHW
Do keep us posted... I’m looking at succession planning for my B4V and being in Canada there are a few options out there!