About the emissions warranty

Synchro

TDI
Jetta
Hello everyone, I’ve got a question I’m too lazy to call the Volkswagen dealer about lol.

my car had the fix on July 5, 2018 at 65451 miles.

I see on the Volkswagen page it says “The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date.” So does that mean it’s covered until 120k, or 120k miles ABOVE the 65k?
(Currently at 101,000)
But then there’s

“In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification.” I’m confused and wanted to ask the experts for help, thank you

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is whichever is longer. So in your case, since the car had such low miles on it when the fix was applied, it will be covered until 120k miles (since 65 + 48 is only 113).

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
It helps if you add the year of your Jetta to you profile, and tell us the transmission.

Just to add or clarify to what OH said, it is the longer of the two conditions (10/120k or 4/48k), but the 10/120k starts from the in-service date, and obviously the 4/48k starts from date of modification.

That means you get the longer of (1) vs (2):

(1)
Whichever of (a) or (b) two occurs first, but only if (1) is longer than (2)
(a) July 2018 plus 4 years = July 2022
(b) 65,451 miles plus 48,000 miles = 113,451mi

(2)
Whichever of (c) or (d) two occurs first, but only if (2) is longer than (1)
(c) In-service date plus 10 years = insert date here!
(d) In-service mileage plus 120,000 miles = usually 120,000 miles

So, no, it's not 120k miles on top of 65k miles.
Yes, 120k miles is greater than 113k miles, but the original in-service date may impact you based on model year.

Synchro

TDI
Jetta
It helps if you add the year of your Jetta to you profile, and tell us the transmission.

Just to add or clarify to what OH said, it is the longer of the two conditions (10/120k or 4/48k), but the 10/120k starts from the in-service date, and obviously the 4/48k starts from date of modification.

That means you get the longer of (1) vs (2):

(1)
Whichever of (a) or (b) two occurs first, but only if (1) is longer than (2)
(a) July 2018 plus 4 years = July 2022
(b) 65,451 miles plus 48,000 miles = 113,451mi

(2)
Whichever of (c) or (d) two occurs first, but only if (2) is longer than (1)
(c) In-service date plus 10 years = insert date here!
(d) In-service mileage plus 120,000 miles = usually 120,000 miles

So, no, it's not 120k miles on top of 65k miles.
Yes, 120k miles is greater than 113k miles, but the original in-service date may impact you based on model year.
Ah okay I gotcha, and sorry. It’s a 2011 Jetta with the DSG

thank you

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
In case it helps:

"The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service."

whawker

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI 6spd used to have '03 Jetta TDI wagon
On top of everything else that makes it complicated, at least for my 2010, it matters whether you have the automatic or manual transmission. My extended emissions warranty has another 6000 miles on it because of manual, 126000, not 120000.

You can call the VWofA 800 number, give them your VIN, they can immediately look you up and give the details of your coverage.

ALSO, I learned that there's an extension to the extended emissions warranty when I took my JSW to the dealer a month and a half ago. I *think* it was the 4 years/48000 mile thingy, I was now good til April 2022 and/or 151,000+ miles, but he would *not* give me anything in writing..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It has been posted here many times already (the pdf doc for this). It has all the details and you can go online to the site and enter your vin and get all the info you need. The 4/48 thing isn't new either. It has been in place since the lawsuit was settled. It is important to read and know the document if you actually want to use it to get anything done. Most people won't bother and get run over with BS. Is it perfect, no. But it can help those who help themselves. It isn't all that complicated at all.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just my opinion from reading but it would seem yes they are obligated to do the fix whenever it is brought in. I don't think there was a time limit attached to the fix itself but only the warranty that goes with it. Seems like they would also be obligated to put you under the extended emissions warranty as well for the after the fix time/mileage limits (vs the in service date limits). This would be an excellent question for the CA attorneys who handled the case. They could also say you are required to fix certain items before they will do the fix. The car should be in completely stock form.

Jettec1979

TDI
2013 VW Passat 2.0TDi
Just my opinion from reading but it would seem yes they are obligated to do the fix whenever it is brought in. I don't think there was a time limit attached to the fix itself but only the warranty that goes with it. Seems like they would also be obligated to put you under the extended emissions warranty as well for the after the fix time/mileage limits (vs the in service date limits). This would be an excellent question for the CA attorneys who handled the case. They could also say you are required to fix certain items before they will do the fix. The car should be in completely stock form.
What is this FIX you speak of, I bought USED 2013 VW Passat 2.0tdi and now I have a adblue error and I keep seeing chatter about FIX and extended WARRANTY.... can you enlighten me or link me somewhere I can read about it. I live in California and bought this from dealer which bought from out of state....

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What is this FIX you speak of, I bought USED 2013 VW Passat 2.0tdi and now I have a adblue error and I keep seeing chatter about FIX and extended WARRANTY.... can you enlighten me or link me somewhere I can read about it. I live in California and bought this from dealer which bought from out of state....
Post #6 had the info for you.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The "fix" was an update of software and/or hardware done to the cars to update their emissions systems, before the left over new cars and buy back cars were allowed to be resold. Any that didn't have a government approved fix for emissions updates were to be crushed and not resold. This was mandated in the "Dieselgate" legal proceedings. Along with this fix it was also mandated that an Extended Emissions Warranty also be issued for all cars. The link above will tell you the details along with reading the many posts here about it. Probably cover your adblue issue if you haven't exceeded time/mileage limits.