A3 Wiring Harness Removal

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
I'm stuck trying to remove the wiring harness from my 1998 Jetta.I have the engine completely removed and I have been carefull to remove all the wiring from the engine. I'm stuck now at he point where the wiring enters the interior. I see no way of getting the wiring either direction through the fire wall.

What am I missing or what is the secret.

Bill

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Unplug the connectors form the fuse block, then push the connectors through the hole in the firewall. It's a little fiddly, but it's very doable.

-J

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
Unplug the connectors form the fuse block, then push the connectors through the hole in the firewall. It's a little fiddly, but it's very doable.

-J
That's what I was thinking, but after I got the connectors loose, I thought it looked impossible. Now that I know it's possible I'll give it another shot.

Thanks,

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
I have one small group of wires that is giving me problems. It takes a turn immediately and goes accross the front of the car underneath the dash. I have remove the dash bolts at the bottom, but I can't figure out what is holding the top in. I'm surprised there isn't a plug on this small group of wires. Definitely nothing has been easy about this.

Bill

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
That sounds like radio wiring. You sure its part of the engine harness? On the cars I've taken apart everything engine related stopped right at the fuse block.

-Jason

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
I thought it might be the passenger air bag. I can move the bottom of the dash, but its still connected at the top somewhere.

Bill

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Ya the airbag wiring goes back there too... but why are you trying to remove it? If your intention is to remove all the wiring from the car the dash and carpets have to come out.

-J

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
I finally got the wiring harness out. I located a connector for that last group of wires and presto the wiring harness was out. Thanks to everybody for their help.

rudolfgreen

TDI
04 Jetta Manual BEW, 83 Vanagon 5spd 1.6NA, 86 Vanagon Syncro ALH (Sold)
Nice thread

Stupid question, how does the large round wiring harness to the right of injection pump come off?
Cannot figure out how to disconnect it..feels like pins might be frozen up in there..

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Stupid question, how does the large round wiring harness to the right of injection pump come off?
Cannot figure out how to disconnect it..feels like pins might be frozen up in there..

Turn it counter clockwise. Be careful, the plastic is 13 years old and is prone to breaking. The plug costs $80

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Turn the RING clockwise (top towards the back).
See the connector in the image? The part still at the engine, not the empty ring being held? Note the helix thread on the connector. The connector does not rotate, but the ring (normally) around it does.
As the ring rotates CLOCKWISE, it pushes the connector and pins off the engine half.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To remove it you need to turn it counter clockwise, the grooves show this in the picture.

rudolfgreen

TDI
Got it..many thanks, hopefully pulling the engine today.

00013cave

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta TDI, 1997 GLX TDI
For what application are you doing this/ Are you installing your TDI into a non diesel ? If so, you will also need the instrument cluster harness also . And the connector that you had problems with was probably for the throttle pedal, so keep that in mind also.

rudolfgreen

TDI
Good heads up..going in an 86 syncro that already has an vw inline 4 gasser installed. pulling all the wiring including the cluster, even though I dont think I have to use it with the AHU..cheers