A/C compressor adapter fittings?

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Sorry for the similar post. I might have been unclear in my original post. I want to use the factory VW A/C compressor with my conversion. The factory lines are not usable in my application. I am looking for either compressor adapter fittings or a different compressor end plate. It is a Sanden SD7V16 compressor. Model number is 1206. The VW number is 1J0 820 803 A. Has anyone found a work around for using the ALH engine and compressor in their conversion? Thank you Mark

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I'd really like to help in this matter, but I don't have knowledge in this area. I did see on a motorgeek thread that someone welded on the aluminum line together to create the needed a/c fitting. I too will be needing to do something similar to what your doing now. Mine might be a little ways in the future though.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Hey Jon, No worries, I may have come up with a solution so stay tuned. I was surprised that no one so far has been able to help. Maybe I should have posted something like this, "What A/C compressor adapter fittings work with Sprint 520 nozzles?" :rolleyes: The evaporator, condensor, and drier were delivered earlier this week. What ended up being the most difficult decision was the sound deadner and insulation. I spent about a week researching different products and pricing. I finally realized I could spend a month and still not be sure. Ended up buying a product called B-Quiet ultimate and for insulation order a few sheets of 1/4 inch dynaliner. I need to insulate the front area before I install the evaporator. I am going to start the fitting up and the wiring this weekend. I'd like to have the insulation done, the wiring done, evaporator installed, and the dash back in before thanksgiving. Got to have goals. Hopefully everything else external will be straight forward. The AC may surpass the cruise control as the favorite option. mark

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
I'd be interested in the answer to this too. I just picked up the VW A/C pressure transducer to put in my Jeep lines, but I don't have the fittings to connect to the ALH A/C compressor. I think I'm going to end up getting custom lines made. I just need a scrap set of ALH A/C lines to take the compressor fitting off of. Problem is, all the wreckers cut the lines and send the part I need with the motor when they pull it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Got to have goals

..........Got to have goals. .......mark
Hey Mark........ that statement was directed at me, was it?.....LOL.

Yes, I agree! We must have goals and strive to achieve them.

Well, I am making progress with my project. This AC issue you are dealing with sort of has me squirming! I did realize that the high pressure line coming out of the AC (TDI engine with OEM AC) would be a problem with the motor mount. I'm just wondering if a good aluminum welder could modify the line with success! The line needs to come straight away toward the front of the vehicle. In fact, it would seem to work better if it come up and then toward the front.

........ I am trying my best to get my GARAGE project back underway. In the last two weeks (three days each week), we've managed to correct the foundation issues and I feel real good about the work. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks we can be ready to pour concrete (30' X 54'). I'm getting excited!

Jet 02

TDI
2002 Jetta, Vanagon AHU project
I will probably have a simalar problem with the stock RH mount. There is a firm that makes adaptor blocks. They do not list the Sanden compressor. I will need to check with an AC shop and find out if any of the listed compressor adaptors have the same inlet / outlet port set up as the Sanden. Check out... docsblocks.com
Regards Tom
www.docsblocks.com

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I was looking at the line set-up last evening (OEM). I think I'll wait until I have the Motor Mount fabricated before customizing the AC line(s).

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I may have solved the AC Compressor location issue. As you know, the Compressor OEM location on the ALH engine conflicts with the right engine mounting bar. The Compressor can be rotated up and away from that area. In fact, based on my "rough" measurements, after some cutting away of the mount structure, the Compressor can be rotated about 180 degrees.

Finding a Serpentine belt to fit will be the next challenge. After the exact location of the mount bar is determined, a brace can be fabricated and installed to support the AC Compressor at its new oreintation.

I'm thinking this will allow the use of the OEM ac lines........hope so! I'll do postings and photos in my Thread when I get to that point...not far away!

Last edited:

Jet 02

TDI
2002 Jetta, Vanagon AHU project
Sanden SD7V16 connections

There are 90 deg. compressor tube connectors listed on docsblocs.
Go to docsblocks.com go to products go to compressor tubes. Item AA1759 shows a set of compressor tubes for the SD7. My problem is that I am working with a AHU compressor not the ALH. More research for me.
Regards
Tom

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
I found a company called AP Air. I had to remove the locating pins from the compressor, but don't think that will be a problem. For the low side I believe the part number was 451-1104 and for the high side it was 451-1103. I am going to use factory O rings when I get to the point of installing the compressor. I finally finished mounting the Vintage Air evaporator housing etc behind the dash. Good thinking Andy. My starter battery would be in the way I think of doing something like you suggest. mark

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
On my ALH and AHU swaps I had to do some minor line fabrication. I had the lines that were on the donors Mk3 and mk4 TDI Jettas and then the lines from the Corrados and a couple other cars from the junk yard. I found the lines that fit the best and then had an a/c shop weld the ends on. One on of the lines the a/c shop was busy to I dropped it off with a friend that does a lot of tig welding on aluminum.

To find an a/c shop near you that can fabricate lines you should ask the local american hot-rod builders. Thats how I found my local custom a/c shop (75 minutes from my house)

While you are doing this have the shop replace any of the rubber sections that are over 10 years old. It would suck to put together and then have a rubber section blow after all this work.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
I still have the original mainfold lines that came with the engine, but there was just no way to cleanly reuse them. I had considered cutting the compressor ends off factory hoses, welding up the offending hole, drilling and then welding on the common an ends. The problem with the installation in the Vanagon was there was just no way to use the factory hoses. I believe the adapters I came up with, will work fine and will clear the fabricated engine bracket. I also consider welding the an ends directly on to the compressor end cap, but really wanted something more serviceable, because the compressor will fail probably sooner than later. I am even considering installing a filter on the high side just in case the compressor does fail. In the Vanagon installation, you would probably never get all the crap out if the compressor did fail. Since I am making up new lines it would be easy to add a filter at this time. No black death for me.