99-05 Climotronic retrofit?

grandpa's TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Is it as easy as taking a climotronic unit and installing it in a non-climotronic car? Is it plug and play? I doubt it but figured I would pose the question. See a few on ebay for 200 bucks and thought it would be a nice upgrade if it was fairly simple to do...

Thx

Zwei Bora Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Svtweb

grandpa's TDI said:
Is it as easy as taking a climotronic unit and installing it in a non-climotronic car? Is it plug and play? I doubt it but figured I would pose the question. See a few on ebay for 200 bucks and thought it would be a nice upgrade if it was fairly simple to do...

Thx
Well, easy? I think it took SVTWEB from Maryland a few weeks to put it together. You should have seen the mess before he sorted it out! Bought all the parts and got it done! He is THE man! You better do some research first. It is an ordeal. Good Luck!!:)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, you can do it. Gotta change out a lot of stuff.

However, I gotta tell ya the A4 Climatronic has about 1000x more troubles than the standard A4 HVAC. But if you want to pile more things to fail on your car, you certainly can! ;)

tp_taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GOLF GLS TDI
That is kinda my thought. I think it is a cool setup, but ultimately it is a project I will not tackle. And I like projects...

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
It is quite the undertaking, and if you're only *thinking* about doing it, then you shouldn't do it. You have to WANT it.

You need to R&R everything from the seats forward...the entire manual airbox (next to the firewall on the passenger side) has to be replaced with a Climatronic airbox. To get the airbox out, you have to have your A/C refrigerant drained (vacuumed, really). In addition, you have to run a whole harness' worth of wires from the dash area up through the rain tray into the engine compartment.

That said, I have to say it's not all *that* bad. It took me two eight-hour days to do the physical work, and I was working alone with only a *decent* mechanical skill level. But I also put in about three months of research with wiring diagrams before I felt ready to tackle the installation.

There are maybe six of us now who have done it. SVTWEB was the first, and he had it the toughest because, well, no one had done it before him, and he was working with a wiring harness that he extracted from a Climatronic car. Now you can buy the harness from kufatec.de for about $150 shipped from Germany. I used that harness, and so did pheller.

Phil's timelapse video on YouTube is a classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVCcDwMj_o

--Chris

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
It took my mechanic only 1 day and 300$ to replace the whole thing here in Eastern Europe. Parts are used.

This is how it looks like at the moment.

Last edited: