91 Jetta td

Leon R

Veteran Member
Just bought a real nice 91 jetta td with 67000 klms for my daughter. I am giving it a complete service including timing belt. I am also using chevron delo 400 and want to know if a 15000 klm service interval is appropriate for that engine and that oil.

Leon R

Veteran Member
Hmmmmmmm no response!!! the manual calls for 8000 klm service for the turbo diesel. how much longer can I extend that service using Delo 400 synthetic?

Dominique Cormann

Veteran Member
I own, and like to play around with pre-TDI vw diesels.

I would use the conventional delo at the normal VW recommended intervals, but I think you can use the synthetic delo ( or other quality synthetic diesel oil ) for longer intervals...16,000 kms is fine. A few VW fan list members have done this with Delvac 1, with oil analysis results to prove it was okay.

I'd also consider joining the two VW diesel lists.
http://www.vwfans.com

and the other is an egroups list. So just go to the egroups page. The vw fans list though is where everyone is.

Ted

Veteran Member
Leon,

I think that extending the recommended oil change interval by 50% is okay ...if you wanted to run any longer, I'd do some oil testing. Also, the first batch of synthetic will clean out any pre-existing oil deposits, so you may want to reduce the filter change interval by 50%.

TooSlick