88 4runner - ALH

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
*Pins 1 and 2 of 121 red/lilac 30amp fuse key on (if you're grounding either one of these your gonna FRY SOMETHING!! don't ground either pin 1 or 2!!!
*Pin 18 of 121 blue/yellow (this is the wire that has to go to coil side of R109 or similar) on mine it goes to the toyota circuit opening relay....engine will not start without this connected
*Pin 37 of 121 black/lilac to 10a key on
*Pin 88 of 121 black/green to 10a key on
all browns to ground!! ..... do yourself a favor, get a bentley and a factory toyota service manual and learn to read diagrams ;)

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Thanks for the concern and tips! I definitely am in over my head here... but I am being careful about actually hooking items up though and am ringing them out with the ohm meter ahead of time.
So far no red wires have been grounded.

On the plus side, I do have the full scans of bently and toyota manuals. Obviously my wiring diagram reading is not quite up to par yet.
I somehow got this part of the manual a bit confused and thought pin 1/T80 went to ground. I did not actually hook it up to ground at any time though. :)

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
ahh... The bently scan is for an ALH, but my ECM is definitely a 121 pin one...
That could explain why my wiring diagrams aren't making much sense.
I figured T80 just meant the 80 pin connector and the other 41 pins were on the other connector.

Definitely gonna have to stop figuring things and find the bently for a 2001 jetta instead just the ALH engine.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Yeah....you got the wrong diagram bud ...hence the confusion ....lucky if you have not fried anything yet....just go by loneranger's and my wiring above and you should be good to go

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
It was a 2001 jetta.... I've had the immobilizer deleted and it was tuned to RC3. :)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Have you had the immobilizer defeated on your ECM ?....if not the engine will only fire for a second each time until completely locking you out ....unless your running the vw cluster and key combo

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
blah... unproductive night... nothing started :/

I have pins 1, 2, 18, 37 and 88 hooked to 12 volts... 4,5 browns are grounded via the harness.

Here's pins 1 & 2 on the red, 18 blue/yellow, 37 black/violet, 88 alligator clip from the other section of the harness.

Ground

Checked the timing... bled the injectors multiple times... pulled a glowplug on cylinder #1 and fuel misted out like crazy, when I cranked it.

If I'm getting fuel out of the injectors, have compression, and nothing restricting my air flow, what else could be stopping my engine from running?
I should have kept the steering column and immobilizer. <_<

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Daniel, pin 18 does NOT go to 12v!! period!! it goes the the COIL side of relay 109 (or similar) and the engine will not start unless the ecm sees this coils resistance.... your truck probably has the same circuit opening relay that my tacoma has (it controls the intank pump) on my truck I simply cut the green yellow wire coming from the toyota relay and attached the blue/yellow wire coming from pin 18 of the ECM....so basically my toyota fuel pump relay is a surrogate for the relay 109....

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
oi! Thank you so much for putting up with my idiotic antics. I greatly appreciate your edit. :cool:

My truck does have that fuel pump opening relay. I will be investigating it tonight.

To explain my logic of 18->12 volts, I didn't just hook it up based on what I read. I went out, looked at the side of relay 109, saw how terminal 30(a 12 volt wire) and 85(pin 18) seemed to be directly connected, and I thought "Oh! That would make sense."
Obviously I need to read more about relays, as they seem to be a bit more than just electronically operated ON/OFF switches. :)

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
The COR on our trucks is tucked away behind the passenger speaker. Its bolted to the kick plate above where the ecu was.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I found it while tracing dash wires earlier.
Can't wait till 5:20 pm!

I studied up a whole lot on relays, so I think I finally understand how the ECU would be looking for the resistance, rather than just power. :)

Hopefully I don't manage to botch it up again!

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Blah... so close I can feel it!
Unfortunately, I keep failing. :/

I temporarily hooked up another ECU I have, theorizing I managed to fry my current one due to the 12 volts to pin 18. It didn't make any difference, so I suppose the ECU's probably fine, just isn't getting ground or power somewhere.

Any other obvious reasons I'm overlooking that would keep things from starting? Maybe I'm missing some obscure ground wire?

I triple checked the whole harness and all the sensors are plugged in...
What else can stop the engine from running if it has fuel/compression/air?

Hooked up relay 109 just like it's hooked up in the VW harness and nothing.
Green alligator is 12 volts to the relay and the black alligator is going to the blue/yellow wire.

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
the clutch switch isn't hooked up on the VW harness... do I need to depress that to let the engine run? Time to study the wiring diagram a bit more. Hopefully I don't get any stupid ideas.

I have the toyota ignition and starter cranking over nicely. The IP is clicking when I power up the VW side of things. I pulled a glow plug and got a nice spray of fuel shot out of the cylinder.

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
I have mine hooked up off of the assumption that you did, havent read anywhere that it is necessary though. :D

You need an OBD scanner/VCDS so you can see what the ECU is complaining about. If its getting fuel and air, I think it should be running to some degree.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
so... inspired by #tdiclubchat I got my obd2 hooked up!
The grey/white wire on the orange T10 connector is the k-line. :)

5 codes that I cannot eliminate...
Code:
Thursday,07,June,2012,22:27:44:08988
VCDS Version: Release 11.11.3 (x64)

Address 01: Engine       Labels: None
Control Module Part Number: ROCKETCHIP
  Component and/or Version:  s03 R4 EDC  G500G  2527 
           Software Coding: 00002
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00000  
                      VCID: ECD9B5B59C90569
Fault Codes have been Erased

5 Faults Found:
17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146) 
            P1562 - 35-00 - Upper Limit Reached
19561 - Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239) 
            P3105 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
17564 - Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) 
            P1156 - 35-00 - Open/Short to Ground
17957 - Boost Pressure Regulation Valve (N75) 
            P1549 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
17660 - Commencement of Injection Valve (N108) 
            P1252 - 35-00 - Open or Short to Ground

Readiness: N/A

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
N108 and N146 are concerning. I doubt the engine will start without these sensors working properly. Is your wiring to the IP okay? You have your N108 plugged in as well?

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the tips.. I'm gonna check those Saturday evening.
Gotta really busy Friday and Saturday morning planned. :)
Camping in the jetta!

Daniel

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
!!! GOT IT STARTED!
Had to hook up the yellow/black and red/lilac from the engine wiring harness (E29) connector...

So happy right now lol

Still have a couple codes from the other sensors, but I'll get them figured out quick enough.
I think I finally understand how to read the wiring diagram lol :)

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
It was pitch black when everything roared to life... I'll get some video in the morning. :p
Gotta find out which toyota fuse is switched power from the ignition.

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
Youll want to attach ECU power supply wire (blue/red for me) to the toyota EFI relay. If you look on the passenger side kick panel there is a nice big wire that went to the toyota ignitor (blk/red) its keyed to +12V at run.

Starts great! What starter are you running?