4Runner TDI swap

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I figured I would post an update on this. I've been daily driving the truck since it was finished. My summer car never made it out of the body shop this summer so it was driven WAY more than I ever planned. This was supposed to be a winter rat/extra car.

I have about 15k on it at this point. I've had very few issues with it since the swap was done, its proved to be very reliable. Mileage was about 31mpg average in the summer. It has been 29 ish lately. This spring I will do some suspension work, install AC and possibly a webasto setup for the winter. The heat is not great at all this time of year. :)

Greg@RME

TDI
2009 Jetta
Thats awesome, thanks for the update! How's the overall power for driving, better than the 22RE? Does it run at freeway speeds well? I thought a Toyota w/ 4.10's and 31's would be geared too low for a TDI motor & have the engine spinning faster than was healthy.

Last edited:

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Hey, it does run pretty well on the highway. It will cruise at 80mph or faster if you want to. It does not feel very safe though. :p I drive about 70-75 usually.
It fine with the 32s, not reving too high or anything.
Power wise its much better than a 22RE or a 3.0 even. Its got roughly 200lb/ft of torque right now

b1gmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Overall, how do you like it?

You used the 1Z/AHU engine, but did you go with a maual IP, or do you control it with the ECU? Did you keep the complete Toyota dash & instrument cluster? Or did you do a hybrid with the AHU instrument cluster?

How does it feel with the 4cyl transmission and gear driven transfercase? Would you go with the R150F and Turbo 22r bellhousing if you could?

What size radiator did you use? Stock toyota?

If you could regear it, what set would you go for?

Which alternator and powersteering pump did you end up going with?

You're happy with the 1.9L engine, would it be bearable if you had the 1.6 turbo?

I've got a 93 xtracab v6 4x4 pickup that I'm planning a similar transplant into, just trying to figure out driveability characteristics before I set myself on 1 engine / transmission combo.

Thanks,

~ryan

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Overall I like it alot. The swap works well, its smooth and reliable. The chassis needs some work at this point. It will have 200k on it by summer time and the suspension is getting whipped. The leafs are flat so there is no travel anymore so the ride is pretty harsh. The body is also not liking the salt either. :(

You used the 1Z/AHU engine, but did you go with a maual IP, or do you control it with the ECU? Did you keep the complete Toyota dash & instrument cluster? Or did you do a hybrid with the AHU instrument cluster?

-Its is an AHU with full electronics. You don't need the cluster with this swap. Mine dash is all stock Toyota.

How does it feel with the 4cyl transmission and gear driven transfercase? Would you go with the R150F and Turbo 22r bellhousing if you could?

-I actually swapped in a R151F this summer. I blew reverse in the W56 and this one came up locally so I grabbed it. It works well, I like the super low 1st. gear and slightly talled 5th.

What size radiator did you use? Stock toyota?
-mine is a stock VW MK3 2.0 radiator flipped upside down. It runs on the cool side, the fans never even kick on.

If you could regear it, what set would you go for?
-I wouldn't re gear unless I went with bigger tires, I like it as it is. I wouldn't mind trying 4:30s or 4.56s but its not worth the expense IMO.

Which alternator and powersteering pump did you end up going with?
-stock VW 120a alternator and stock VW PS pump with some custom lines. Both work really well.

You're happy with the 1.9L engine, would it be bearable if you had the 1.6 turbo?
-A worked 1.6 TD would probably be fine. I don't know much about the IDIs to honest.

Steve777

Veteran Member
Congrats on a nice conversion.

This is one that I have been eyeing for myself, and had a question that perhaps you or someone familiar with 4Runners might know.

I have a 1.9TDI from a 96 passat with all the electronics as a donor, and have been looking for a decent 4Runner. One showed up locally recently with a blown engine; only possible issue is that it is an auto tranny.

Any feel for how the stock Toyota Auto tranny in these cars hold up, and how they would perform (or not) with a TDI which is going to have much lower rpm and torque range. Or alternatively, how hard would a 5sp tranny swap be (can the xfer case and rest of the drivetrain be re-used)?

TIA

quietmission

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI , 04 S500, 95 GTI TDI (Past)
Almost the same questions here. How hard is it to do that swap in a second generation v6 4runner? Will i need to transfer over a 4cyl gear box or can the v6 tranny work with a 4 cyl bellhousing?
For example, using the v6 R150f tranny with a turbo 4cyl r151f bellhousing. Or should i just transplant the whole R151f tranny with transfer case instead?
Which will be easier to do and more reliable? I really like the 90 to 95 4runner body style and there are hard to come by in manual tranny let alone 4 cyl.
The truck will be used in a tropical climate and see a lot of high grade mountain drives.
Will eTDI works best or an mTDI? Also best choice of turbo?

Thank!

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Steve777, I really don't know much about the Toyota autos. I'm guessing you could probably use a Toyota diesel torque converter to get the stall speed inline, but I have not idea beyond that. Swapping to a five speed is pretty straight forward though. You just need the pedal cluster, clutch master and lines.

quietmission, You can use the R150 trans with the R151F bellhousing but, the input shaft on the, R150 is longer so you need a spacer or custom input shaft. The spacer is availalbe from a couple different places. R151Fs can be tough to find but in the NE they seem pretty available. The advantage to the R151F is the gear driven t-case and the 4.31:1 first gear.

I don't have much experience with M-tdis so I can't comment much on that. I would stick with something small that spools fast. The stock KO3 on the AHU works well, smaller VNTs would be good too. I have a cheap chinese KO3 replacement (mistake) that is a little larger and spool up suffered big time over the KO3.

quietmission

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI , 04 S500, 95 GTI TDI (Past)
That's good to know. I could get a rebuilt tranny from Marlin Crawler but their core price of $650 sour the deal since i don't have a r151f tranny core right now. Unless they would take the v6 core and sell me a r151f.
Also, where can i get motor mount & support made for that project? I have zero fabricating skills and i would like to acquire all my goodies before i have someone do the swap for me.
I am not sure if acme sells mount/support for their TDI adapters kit but I know there are few people that has done the toyota swap before. Has anyone come up with a good design for motor support and mounts that they will be willing to fabricate or sell?
From your own knowledge, do you forsee this swap being any different than yours in a v6 2nd generation 4runner?

Last edited:

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I doubt they would take a R150 as a core. R151Fs are very desireable for offroad use and sought after especially out west. You can find one if you really look around. They generally go for $500-700 for a working trans and t-case.
Acme sells the adapter kit but not the mounts. Nobody makes pre made mounts for this swap, they have to be custom fabbed. A V6 truck's engine mounts are in different positions compared to a 4 cyl truck so reproducing them would not be easy. I re-did mine serveral times finally settling on a design that worked.
A 2wd truck would be easier to do because you don't have to worry about oil pan clearance.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I never did install the AC. For the last few days in the 90s... I wish I had, LOL.

I'm still putting 60 miles a day on it. Its still running great, I fabbed a new rear bumper and receiver to do some mild towing and I bought some new OME rear springs to to level it out. (sagging ass 4Runner)

I will most likely be selling it whole and/or parting it out in near future. Time to move on to another project. :)

Frankendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Was wondering - where did you get that blue tubing that you have on the intake plumbing? Looks nice; need some for my swap too!

Thanks!

Travis

Paddyboy

TDI
none
What kind of fuel are you running on this beast? (Forgive me if I haven't read this whole thread).

Nice job btw!!!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Paddyboy said:
What kind of fuel are you running on this beast? (Forgive me if I haven't read this whole thread).

Nice job btw!!!
I'd bet its diesel:p

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Haha, just regular D2. I planned on running biodiesel but I never did.

This Truck is For Sale btw. Check the classifieds.

hardhatz

TDI
not yet
texasmeat said:
We are currently developing a plug n play conversion kit for the ALH TDI into a Tacoma, 4runner and Jeep wranglers. PM me for more details.
Do you offer a kit to put a Toyota automatic trans behind the VW TDI?

Has anybody done that?
Or, it there any adaptor to put any good overdrive RWD trans on a TDI?

I have heard the late Toyota trannies are all electronic control... is that true, and is there a standalone box for operating one without the Toyota ECM?

Last edited:

hunter4321

TDI
1.9 tdi
Here are the accesories... all factory VW from the TDI, the crank V-belt pulley is a smaller one from an ABA code gasser and its way smaller. My stock one was bent so I had to make do with this one for now. Everything fits great WITH the AC deleted. The compressor would not have fit but there is a really cheap way to delete using a factory non AC water pump pulley and a shorter serp and v-belt. I used a PS hose kit from PSC to make a pressure line along with a couple adapter fittings and a new return hose. So far so good.

[/QUOTE]

Do you still know the part number for the non-a/c water pump pulley and the new belts that you used. I am working on this same swap in a 94' Toyota pickup and I am trying to get everything organized and the engine ready to go for my swap in a couple of week. I want to avoid any issues, if you had the info for these parts to delete my a/c compressor it would help me out a lot, I have searched for an hour today on-line and have yet to find this pulley. Thanks for your time.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
If you call the dealer and ask them for the pulley from a non-ac 1Z/AHU/AAZ, they should find it. I can get the part # and belt sizes but i will have to go and check my truck.

Luke

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Non-AC 1Z/AHU water pump pulley part number

Here are the accesories... all factory VW from the TDI, the crank V-belt pulley is a smaller one from an ABA code gasser and its way smaller. My stock one was bent so I had to make do with this one for now. Everything fits great WITH the AC deleted. The compressor would not have fit but there is a really cheap way to delete using a factory non AC water pump pulley and a shorter serp and v-belt. I used a PS hose kit from PSC to make a pressure line along with a couple adapter fittings and a new return hose. So far so good.
Do you still know the part number for the non-a/c water pump pulley and the new belts that you used. I am working on this same swap in a 94' Toyota pickup and I am trying to get everything organized and the engine ready to go for my swap in a couple of week. I want to avoid any issues, if you had the info for these parts to delete my a/c compressor it would help me out a lot, I have searched for an hour today on-line and have yet to find this pulley. Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]

Hunter4321, this is late, but maybe the next person looking around for this same info will find it here.

The non-AC water pump pulley for a 1Z/AHU is PN 028 121 031K
(this is also a VR6 water pump pulley).

The shorter serpentine belt is PN 028 803 137BB

The power steering v-belt is 12 x 685 - I believe the PN is 028903137BB.

spulen81 gets mad props for making these easy for me to repeat. -- edit -- this is spulen81's page, I see. Though it was Hunter4321's... derka derka....

Last edited:

TDI B2200

TDI
2006 Jetta
Motor mounts

Do you have any pictures and advice on the motor mounts. I'm doing a 2001 TDI swap into to a Mazda B2200 if I go inline. I'm leaning toward keeping it front wheel drive?

osubucks1044

TDI
98 1.9
im wanting to do the same swap on my 93 pickup with 85 runner frame( solid axle and lifted) crawler/DD. i can make the mounts and do all the fitment and whatnot. the only thing i have a question with is the electronics of it!! how?what?where? etc etc... if u ask " what is ur question regarding the electrical aspect of it" me answer is "everything" idk any of it. how does it work what has to be changed what has to be taken from the doner car. what has to be moddified, EVERYTHING!!!! lol thats my dilema! thanks in advance!!