23N5 software update thread to address turbo failures

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
It's all because the oil is too think while is still cold, meaning HTHS is more than 3.8 cP, just because it's last long oil. All these sacrifice is for environment and less oil interval.
Stupid, same as gasoline with ethanol.
Oh boy...:p:D

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
Yes, and I wish I would have gotten it on video :(. I ended up stranded in the town I work in yesterday due to snow and winds blowing 45-60 mph creating blizzard conditions and resulting in every highway (Fed, State and County) being closed and barricaded. When winter decides to get ugly around here, it gets really ugly!

Anyway, there is a small hotel here that has garages attached to each room and I was able to park the passat inside last night. When I started up this morning the ambient temp was 53*F in the garage and the water temp was also 53*F when I started the car. Like you, I shifted into 3rd when the water temp was just under 100*F (Of Note, outside ambient temps were -2*F) and I drove until I reached 185*F on the water temp before I had to park in the lot, and did not see the warm up routine start, nor did I see the "reduced" blowtorch effect I saw yesterday after the update.

I wasnt expecting to be in a position to look for this until sometime in the spring, as I my brides ride and my BMW are in our garage, so I park outside year round. I am afraid it may be a few months before I have the opportunity to look for it again...

I'll be curious to see if those of you in warmer states start seeing this on a routine basis.
I'm still pre-update but in a warmer state. I have a SGII and watch very carefully. I've noticed two warm-up routines:
- Typical weather (cool, warm, hot). I THINK it does the warm-up routine this way unless the car has been driven recently and coolant temp starts > 145*. The 'blowtorch' starts when coolant is around 90* and if you run continuously, stops when either 1) CAT temp reaches approx 755* or 2) or, if you don't run open throttle during the whole warm-up process, it stops 'blowtorching' when CAT temp has been over 600 for, say, 20 seconds total or 3) coolant temp reaches 145*
- Cold weather. I THINK it does this routine when it's cold (i.e. the silly '*' warning is on the MFI. I THINK the warm-up start when coolant temp is around 100*, but then it keeps going until either 1) CAT temp reaches approx 855* or 2) CAT temp has been over 700 for, say, 20 seconds total

Will be ready to compare/contract after getting the update :)

Last edited:

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Just a quick trip local,
Oat 20f

As eng was warming, started at 24f, the DPF warm cycle started at 85f 25-30mph in 3rd gear. I noticed that although it went to 1060, it elevated slowly, not an instant burst.

lmnop88a

TDI
B7 NMS
Got a letter today, dated Jan 2015
Ditto. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Guess I'm calling them tomorrow to book an appointment.

I've been using my coolant heater as well as the IDParts grill cover and haven't noticed anything unusual. After work in the evenings, when the car has been sitting out in -18C temps all day, don't notice anything unusual. Delayed upshifts (DSG). That's about it, but that's normal to me in cold weather.

I'll be taking the grill cover off when I bring it in. Don't want any hassle or reason for them to decline warranty coverage.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
Can anyone tell me if I my warranty will be denied for making changes using my Ross Tech VCDS? I have changed just a few comfort settings.

I got the letter today also and want to make the appointment but wanted to check on the warranty question first.

lmnop88a

TDI
B7 NMS
Can anyone tell me if I my warranty will be denied for making changes using my Ross Tech VCDS? I have changed just a few comfort settings.
I got the letter today also and want to make the appointment but wanted to check on the warranty question first.
This is what it says on the bottom of my letter. Not sure if it applies to your situation.

http://i.imgur.com/UlK5jDm.jpg/image.pngrotate=90

Sorry on my phone and thought it was rotated.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
This is what it says on the bottom of my letter. Not sure if it applies to your situation.

Yeah that is what I read on my letter also that why why I asked. I never did any performance chips or tuning just some basic settings through the VAGCOM. I am not sure if it is traceable or not.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
With regard to the statement at the bottom of the letter, there is no "work" that will be needed to restore your ECU (unless you physically modified it). The update should reflash the engine management maps in the computer from scratch. If you have a tune, say goodbye to it, but don't worry about having to pay VW anything extra. VCDS tweaks may or may not be retained (but please let us know!).

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
yes I'm afraid so. So I might skip this. I need to send email for Rocketchip

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Jeff will be able to retune you at Impex this year, I'm sure. Check with him to be sure.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
My 23N5 ECM update letter was received this afternoon. I can't wait to drink my free cup of java at the VW dealership afterwards.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Received our letter this afternoon, as well. It'll have to wait until February when we get back from various travels. It also gives you guys some time to be beta testers and report your findings. ;)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Just picked my car up yesterday after getting a couple of minor issues fixed. I asked if this reflash was done, and he said the system didn't list it as required. He thought perhaps because the car is so new it was done before I picked it up in late September. When did this update become available?

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
The high idle is occurring after the engine is warmed up. I haven't noticed a higher idle on a cold engine with any heat settings or when I have the heated seats on. It only occurs when I (assume) the DPF regen is occurring, because when I roll down the window, I can hear the engine fan running at high speed. Temp's have been moderate, in the 40's most mornings, but today it's in the teen's - can't wait to see the crappy mpg's on my commute!

BTW - I didn't receive the letter either. Shortly after learning about this update, I had already scheduled my 10k service and it was done without me asking about it. Funny, the service form states "..customer requested software update to be performed..".
FYI - I got the letter yesterday. Also with it was a notice stating if I had paid out-of-pocket for any repairs related to it, to apply for reimbursement. Is this a notice for any turbo-failure or related repairs because while the software update letter states "...the turbo may fail under certain cold start conditions...", I didn't read in the notice for reimbursement about any details about what/when/if circumstances reimbursement would be paid. When I originally inquired about my TDI turbo with VWoA, the response I got back indicated the extended turbo warranty applied to certain vehicles isolated by manufacture date/place and mine wasn't part of that campaign.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Received our letter this afternoon, as well. It'll have to wait until February when we get back from various travels. It also gives you guys some time to be beta testers and report your findings. ;)
I'm not going to rush out and get it either. I hope that we can nail down what it really does.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Just picked my car up yesterday after getting a couple of minor issues fixed. I asked if this reflash was done, and he said the system didn't list it as required. He thought perhaps because the car is so new it was done before I picked it up in late September. When did this update become available?
I've seen the TSB. It clearly states ALL 2012-2014 NMS Passat Clean Diesel TDIs, US and Canada. I see no indication of it being VIN specific.
In time, you'll be getting a notice from VWoA.

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Talked to Jeff he said this is not much of the update, it's like 1% change. So I will be skipping that. Actually he can do this update. Of course remember I chipped my car by RocketChip, so this post is only for RocketChip tune.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
+1 on the letter yesterday.

What is this "blowtorch" effect you guys are talking about?
Extra fueling on cold starts to bring the exhaust components up to operating temps as quickly as possible.

40F this morning when I left home and in less than a half mile, in under two minutes, and rolling at 30 MPH exhaust temps exceeded 1,100F as soon as I hit 3rd gear (manual trans) until the DPF is over 600F. Pretty much a "blowtorch," no? :eek:

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI

It is covered extensively in the turbo failure discussion thread.

TL;DR during the first few minutes on a cold start, when you reach third gear, the car goes into "blowtorch" mode to warm up the emissions components. This creates significant stress on the turbo charger in the form of increased boost pressure (beyond what is safe for a cold temperature) and extremely high exhaust gas temperatures (similar to what you would see at full load up a mountain), both of which are responsible for a number of turbocharger failures.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT

Some of us have posted videos and or temp data, if you start at the beginning of this thread you can see a few videos and data during the "blowtorch" emissions routine pre and post the ECM Update. As VeeDub pointed out the Turbo Failure Discussion Thread has a few days worth of reading on the subject as well.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Just dropped off my '14 passat for heater core replacement at the dealer. They are going to do the 23N5 while it's there. They also confirmed in writing that mine has the extended turbo warrantee.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I got the letter about two months back for the extended turbo warranty. I got the letter yesterday for the software reflash recall, stating that "-your car is one of those affected by this issue-" or something like that. Debating whether or not I'll take it in to have this done now, or just wait until the 30K service. Having had no trouble so far, I'm inclined to just wait.
Given this issue, I may just think about trading this car in Summer '16.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Given that they're actively working to correct the problem (kind of unusual for VW), I wouldn't be hot to sell it just yet. At least wait for the turbo's extended warranty to run out before doing so.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I got the letter about two months back for the extended turbo warranty. I got the letter yesterday for the software reflash recall, stating that "-your car is one of those affected by this issue-" or something like that. Debating whether or not I'll take it in to have this done now, or just wait until the 30K service. Having had no trouble so far, I'm inclined to just wait.
Given this issue, I may just think about trading this car in Summer '16.

What VeeDub said. I would add that, since you live in a very cold region, I'd get the update done at your earliest convenience, since this has been determined (possibly? to be a cold-region issue.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
I just got my letter today. I'm not sure if I'm going to rush right out and have it done. I'll wait until I'm really bored or can't play golf. :rolleyes: It's 70 miles one way to the dealership that works on my car.