23N5 software update thread to address turbo failures

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I would like this to be a thread for people who have completed the 23N5 software and their evaluation of the update. Please provide any technical data or a seat of the pants evaluation. If you have pre-23N5 data (EGT's, etc) that would be outstanding.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Well since I haven't programmed my SGII yet I don't have any numbers, but my SOTP evaluation is there are no changes in warm-up drivability.

One thing I do know is that it's taking longer to warm up according to the stock temp gauge.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thank you for making this. Honestly the Turbo thread was muddy enough, then the software update thread was merged with it. They are related, but not mutually exclusive. They should not be combined.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm fine with keeping the software update reports in this thread. Real data will help to not muddy it up.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Sorry... what is the 23N5 software "upgrade"?

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Well I've certainly started my car a few dozen times in real cold temps despite having a Frost Heater. I use it regularly, but at times, don't have a plug to use. With a Polar Vortex winter.....it's tough to keep the cold out of the car.

So, this has me wondering. I've yet to confirm if my 14' has the extended Turbo warranty, but would like to find out during the update for sure.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
To my knowledge, the turbo warranty has been extended on all CKRA engines.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Here's the first of two videos. This is my pre 23N5 warm up. It's not terribly entertaining, note that I lost video as the temp reached 150. I will try again tomorrow, but wanted to get this one published, as I have limited memory on the phone and needed to move it off. FYI, I am displaying EGT (pre turbo) and what I call DPF (cat sensor - b1s1), water temp and boost.
I plan to have the dealer update the software tomorrow and will post another after to compare.
http://youtu.be/l_70DFn7Yyw

Edit: I just checked the weather. NOAA is forecasting -15F tomorrow morning. I've cleared some data off my phone, so I'll plan to re-do this pre update video in the morning.

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
Thank you for making this. Honestly the Turbo thread was muddy enough, then the software update thread was merged with it. They are related, but not mutually exclusive. They should not be combined.
Aggread! I made a thread about the update and it got merged the same day. Honestly if it wasn't for my cousin finding out from the dealer during a warranty visit last week. I would have waited for the letter.

I dot have time or luxury to read through 3000+ posts on the turbo faliour thread to find out the ECM update.

My finding of the warm up pre-update is that when I'm in 3rd and blow tourch starts my boost spiked from 2.X psi to 8+! At 35 km/h.

I will try to take a vid of the warm up for both pre and post ECM update. I schedule the update for this Saturday.

MOD: Do not merg this thread please

Last edited:

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
After 3 minutes

15 degrees outdoors. Car has been sitting, turned off for 4 hours after a 45 minute drive. Upon starting, scangauge II says water temp 92 degrees. Idled for ~20 seconds before starting drive home. At the 3 minute mark, EGT goes to 1260-1286 degrees. Continues at this temperature for over 1 minute before lowering to mid 900's.
When the Passat was in for it's 50k checkup last week, the dealership downloaded updated software.
I remember the old software would go into the mini regen at 45-90 seconds, lasting <1 minute, after starting on a cold morning. Dealership said the difference was to reduce the stress on the turbo when the motor is cold.
Interesting.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
So they started the "mini regen" 1.5-2.25 minutes later and increased the duration of the "mini regen"? I could see that extra time before the "mini regen" helping the turbo warm up a bit before being hit with high egts. My guess for this "mini regen" in the first place would be to warm up the other cats to reduce emissions.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
I did not get a letter, but my dealer has a "reccomended" service indicator on their site, I just entered my phone number to schedule service, their system linked to my passat showing the recommendation, and I booked it online. If your dealer has similar online scheduling, you might try that...

As a follow-up to my first video, I had to reschedule my software update, then my heat started acting up, so I am scheduled for the update and heating diagnosic at 4:45 tomorrow. I'll shoot a post update video on Thursday morning when the car is good and cold.

Last edited:

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I'm not sure what the numbers were before, but wow, they are still astronomical after the update.

I did my normal thing... start car, let idle for a minute or so, let clutch out in 1st no throttle, shift to second no throttle and the egt was over 600 degrees. Touch the pedal and add another 3 or 4 hundred. Insanity, especially in cold temps.

Not what I expected to see that's for sure.

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
I'm not sure what the numbers were before, but wow, they are still astronomical after the update.

I did my normal thing... start car, let idle for a minute or so, let clutch out in 1st no throttle, shift to second no throttle and the egt was over 600 degrees. Touch the pedal and add another 3 or 4 hundred. Insanity, especially in cold temps.

Not what I expected to see that's for sure.
Haven't got mine updated yet. But my guess is that the warm-up strategy was changed to use a protocol similar to the regen (more post-combustion injection without as much turbo boost) to get to the same high temps needed to 'light-off' the Cat.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Duplicate threads

Welcome to my constant headache.

Please post in the existing threads, folks!

Trvln Canuk

TDI
2013 Passat TL TDI
I had my 23N5 update done on 01/02/15. I have now had the chance to have 3 -14c morning runs with the new software, and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. Last winter I had constant hesitation/stalling, especially on the shift to 3rd when the engine was cold. Now, there is no trace of any stumble or stall. The DSG even seems to shift more smoothly when cold. I do not have any Scan Gage or other ways of determining exhaust temperatures, but the car is now a pleasure to drive when it is sub zero outside. It does take the engine longer to come up to full temperature, as I now get to work (a 9km ride) and the temp gauge is still a couple of ticks from normal. Last winter it would get to normal about a km from my office.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I know I commented about this update in another thread, but since this one is dedicated to it, I'll give an update here. I have noticed the DPG regen occurring more often since the update, but initially thought it was my imagination and now know it's not. My last regen occurred when I had just over 600 miles on my last tank, and I refueled yesterday at 702 miles. Having gone only 23 miles since, I noticed at a stop light this morning about half way through my commute, that my idle was about 900 rpms vs the normal 800 rpms, the only indicator of when I know it's going through a regen cycle. So it's only been about 125 miles since my last regen occurred, when before it was occurring about every 300 - 400 miles. I haven't altered my driving style, idling periods or anything else since the update, and have put about 1,000 miles on the car since it was done at my 10k service. Anyone else notice this? No real cold weather yet as it was in the typical low-mid 40's this morning, but the cold snap will hit tonight with a low of 17f, and high's of low-mid 30's tomorrow. I did note a slight burnt odor from the car when I parked, but the idle was back to normal then.

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
High idle doesn't always mean regen. Was your temp needle in the middle when this happened? I know the car high idles when the heater is on and the car has not reached operating temp to allow the 500W aux heater to warm the cabin.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I know I commented about this update in another thread, but since this one is dedicated to it, I'll give an update here. I have noticed the DPG regen occurring more often since the update, but initially thought it was my imagination and now know it's not. My last regen occurred when I had just over 600 miles on my last tank, and I refueled yesterday at 702 miles. Having gone only 23 miles since, I noticed at a stop light this morning about half way through my commute, that my idle was about 900 rpms vs the normal 800 rpms, the only indicator of when I know it's going through a regen cycle. So it's only been about 125 miles since my last regen occurred, when before it was occurring about every 300 - 400 miles. I haven't altered my driving style, idling periods or anything else since the update, and have put about 1,000 miles on the car since it was done at my 10k service. Anyone else notice this? No real cold weather yet as it was in the typical low-mid 40's this morning, but the cold snap will hit tonight with a low of 17f, and high's of low-mid 30's tomorrow. I did note a slight burnt odor from the car when I parked, but the idle was back to normal then.
My thoughts are that the increased REGEN's are caused by the update, a bad thing for MPG for sure, or your REGEN's are increasing due to cold(er) weather. Something that several people have noticed during the cold weather.

Thanks for the update.