2015 Jetta 2.0 cranks but won’t start

J Adams

TDI
VW 2015 Jetta TDI 2.0
Some quick history. Had a burning smell coming out of the vents thought it was a bad heating element/aux heater. Replaced cabin air filter before I messed with the aux heater. Replaced filter drove 1 mile to Walmart bought some food and the car just cranks now and won’t turn over. Tried jumping it, fast crank. However the climate control fan just clicks and does t work either .. thinking this is all related. Hoping I can limp it home somehow? I put a tester on just about every fuse and they are seemed fine. I thought for sure it was a blown fuse. Any thoughts or help would be huge.

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a winding or two is gone on the alternator. Happens.
Mine burnt up on my 2010 in june last year while it started a regen, while I thought it was the regen , turned out two of the windings melted. Fan dropped out and just made it home and turned the steering wheel, engine died. No start.
New alternator, cleared codes and all good again

J Adams

TDI
VW 2015 Jetta TDI 2.0
No havent changed it yet .. planned on changing it in March .. just hit 100k. I pretty sure I had the cabin air filter in backwards if that might have shorted something out? Would the car still start with a jump if it was the alternator?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Manual transmission? Just bump start and get it home.
It might be the starter not catching the flywheel. Can you see some rpm in the dash while cranking?

Nothing related to the installation of the cabin filter can cause your issues

J Adams

TDI
VW 2015 Jetta TDI 2.0
Automatic unfortunately. No rpm’s do not move when cranking. I thought about crankshaft positioning sensor.. is there a way to test it without specialized tools?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Was working fine... changed cabin filter and messed with the aux heater... now not working?

If so, might be worth double/triple checking what might have gotten bumped/dislodged/wiggled in the vicinity of the cabin filter and the aux heater.

Correlation does not always imply causation... but now and then it does. :)

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Automatic unfortunately. No rpm’s do not move when cranking. I thought about crankshaft positioning sensor.. is there a way to test it without specialized tools?
I don't think there is a conclusive test, but it is not that hard to change out (not in a Walmart parking lot in the winter, I would tow it home).
There is a window in the case, between the engine block and the transmission, you need to remove the oil filter to have a better visual. It is tight, and almost fly by wire, but I was good with my cellphone camera guiding me:

Thread of a guy with CPS issues:

Last edited:

J Adams

TDI
VW 2015 Jetta TDI 2.0
Do you guys know where I could disconnect the camshaft positioning sensor. Dealer advised it could be that or timing issue. Wanted to try a simple disconnect of the sensor but I’m unsure of the wiring location?