2013 JSW, what is this clear sunroof tube for?

jovol

TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW 5sp, '13 JSW 6sp
I'm trying to fix a leaky sunroof issue. Had a lot of rain today and found about an inch of water in the rear passenger footwell area, and the front passenger headliner was wet. Pulled the A-pillar trim, mirror and ceiling handle. I blew compressed air through the brown drain tube. It cleared out some stuff, and its been draining well the couple gallons of water I've been pouring into the sunroof area. However, I noticed if I really dump the water in the area, there is this smaller clear hose that is leaking into the headliner: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TZh8sGe2ZvskZ1Y28

What is this hose for? Is it supposed to be water tight, or is it like a vent and under normal circumstances there isn't enough water to backup and go into this hose?

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm trying to fix a leaky sunroof issue. Had a lot of rain today and found about an inch of water in the rear passenger footwell area, and the front passenger headliner was wet. Pulled the A-pillar trim, mirror and ceiling handle. I blew compressed air through the brown drain tube. It cleared out some stuff, and its been draining well the couple gallons of water I've been pouring into the sunroof area. However, I noticed if I really dump the water in the area, there is this smaller clear hose that is leaking into the headliner: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TZh8sGe2ZvskZ1Y28

What is this hose for? Is it supposed to be water tight, or is it like a vent and under normal circumstances there isn't enough water to backup and go into this hose?
That brown tube is a water discharge pipe for the it rains. Runs down the pillar and into the windshield wiper cavity. They are prone to failure and leaking. Recommendation is to silicone/shoe goop that nipple to hose fitting interface and snip the outlet end of the tube so it doesn't get clogged

jovol

TDI
Thanks yea mine was clogged. I cleaned it out and all it draining well. Just curious what that clear tube is for? Seems like when the drain tube clogs up, the overflowing water was entering my headliner where the clear line goes to.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks yea mine was clogged. I cleaned it out and all it draining well. Just curious what that clear tube is for? Seems like when the drain tube clogs up, the overflowing water was entering my headliner where the clear line goes to.
So did the snaking the drain line fix your original issue or do you still have a problem. Don't know what that clear tube is for. Sunroof cable sounds right.

jovol

TDI
I took the drain line off and blew compressed air through it. There was a bunch of backpressure then whatever blockage was there blew out and all was good.