2012 TDI Mileage Question

clumsywob

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I purchased my 2012 Jetta TDI in the beginning of May. I've put almost 3000 miles on and mileage seems a little low. I used Mileage and Fuelly to track my MPG and am only getting an average of 34.6MPG. There is a little bit of city driving but not much. According the the MPG on my trip, it shows mid 40's. I'm not sure why it's ~10MPG off.

Does this sound about right? I see so many other TDIs getting in the 40's. Even on a road trip, I still averaged only 35MPG.

Here is my Fuelly profile for reference:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2012/clumsy/290664

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Did you go over everything that applies to your car in my sticky thread atop the Fuel Economy section?

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
DSG or manual? if DSG are you driving in sport all the time? What is your total mileage now?

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Mine is a DSG, also 2012 and avg around 40. 80% Hwy with speeds from 60-85mph rest is around town with avg speed around 40 mph

dahui9

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan
I too have a DSG, drive 60 highway and 40 city, but I get around 42 (MFD) mpg, about 40 real world MPG according to my fill up history. That's doing around 75 on the highway and stop and go until I get out of the city.

-Charles

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Took the VW to San Diego last weekend and at 79 the MFD was 39 hand calculated it was 36.6 mpgs. AC was on the entire way. Temps were about 110-111. Mine is a dsg but you should be seeing better.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Your combined mpg is still above the EPA estimate of 34. I see you're averaging less than 500 miles per week. Unless you travel 35 or 40+ highway miles each way on your commute, all of your fill-ups would be considered combined (Avg MPG).

Until you fill up after driving nearly ALL hwy miles there's really no need to compare to the magical EPA estimate of 42mpg. This isn't easy to do in a car that can exceed 600 miles on a single tank. Like you, I thought my mileage was low until I finally (2 1/2 years later) logged a tank of 95% steady freeway miles.

You really don't have enough miles to pinpoint the cause of your perceived low mileage. Continue logging your fuel-ups. Time will tell.

Keep searching and reading threads here, there's much to be discovered.

Last edited:

clumsywob

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys. My commute is actually 60 miles a day roundtrip. That's about 75% highway. I just lowered my car as well, so I need to get an alignment anyhow. I'll make sure tire pressures are where they need to be then as well.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Thanks guys. My commute is actually 60 miles a day roundtrip. That's about 75% highway. I just lowered my car as well, so I need to get an alignment anyhow. I'll make sure tire pressures are where they need to be then as well.

That could be it...the MPG seem to creep up as the engine gets nice and warm and with only a 30 mile commute your just getting into the "zone"...although you are in FL...would think engine is warm to start:)

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I'm in Flagstaff at 7000' and did a phoenix and back trip yesterday, 2 big hills each way. At cruise and 80mph I got 42 going down the hill and averaged 38 for the whole trip, 300 miles. I've learned that 70mph does waaayyy better than 80 and 65 even better. At near the speed limit to Ensenada and back with just me I was exactly at 40mpg. 25mpg with a trailer and 2 dirt bikes and gear 2 weeks later.
Back to Coronado next week with the trailer but only 3 bicycles and a baby trailer. I hope to see if it is the weight or aerodynamics that make the difference, guessing 500 pounds total vs 1000 last trip.
We buy these to use and pile on the miles, right?? Ours is a 2012, just crested 10K and an auto. Bought it in March with 4K on it, a dealer buyback for a lemon law and mectronic (sp) replacement.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 White M6 w/Prem and Nav
My 2012 tdi manual has 39k on it. all but winter I get average about 40 around town. If I run strictly highway, I average 45+ depending on the direction I'm going (how wind affects the mpg). I tend to get higher mpg going N/S vs E/W. I think mine's about average.
The computer is pretty close to actual when I check manually.
Like the other mentioned - I do get better hwy mileage if I go slower...68 is my best mpg speed. This is from multiple trips and watching the mpg.
70 and up it drops a bit. I took a short trip the other day, and was getting 48mpg hwy. Some days I get over 50.

Last edited:

MK6_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 B7 Passat TDI SEL
'12 DSG and I get on average(depending on my driving habit that tank) 35-39 mpg based Off gal in/Miles driven. Ice never seen over 41...that was a lucky tank. Tire pressures are good but it's hot here and I average 45-50 miles round trip per day. Still getting 500-530 to the tank by the time my fuel light comes on.