2012 Golf hesitation/bucking

slbert

TDI
2012 Golf
I recently changed from a '04 Jetta TDI to a '12 Golf TDI. The new one is amazing..... quiet and very easy to speed in. There are a couple of things I am still wrapping my brain around..... One is the re-gen process.... lots to read about with that. Second is when I am driving at a speed where the car is close to coasting, but still needs some fuel to keep going I find it tends to buck.... like it gets too much fuel, then not enough. There is not a smooth transition between the 2. I am planning on doing a diesel purge once the weather is a bit warmer, wondering if the injectors are a bit clogged (160,000 kms).
Thoughts, and thanx in advance.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
it may be a side effect of your exhaust flap closing/opening for emissions. I would have that happen on my CBEA and CJAA when the car was not fully warmed up. Don't have it happen anymore since the DPF delete.

slbert

TDI
2012 Golf
it may be a side effect of your exhaust flap closing/opening for emissions. I would have that happen on my CBEA and CJAA when the car was not fully warmed up. Don't have it happen anymore since the DPF delete.
If only it were that simple.... happens even when the car is fully warmed up. Not sure if I am up to a DPF delete yet.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
hill cresting fuel cutout

hill crest shudder

hiccup

The hesitation/stutter is a well-documented phenomenon on these cars. It's most noticeable with light acceleration, especially if cresting a hill. In 3rd gear it's most noticeable for me and it happens everyday at the same place on my drive. My understanding is that it's caused by de-fueling, an ECU managed occurrence that saves fuel.

Bottom line, it's normal operation. No worries!

Last edited:

Sliks

TDI
Golf 1.6 CR Tdi
Dpf is OK it stops the black soot, please keep it. In my opinion it's a good bulletproof system (unless it cracks which seems like a North American problem cos I've not heard of it since the earliest days of dpf's)

When it's working you don't need to do anything. Some people continue driving if it's regen-ing but that's not actually required

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Slbert, I have the same ‘feeling’ with my ‘12. 2nd or 3rd gear mostly, very light acceleration or just enough to ‘keep it moving’ it’ll stutter, you can hear the engine bite change a bit. Stepping on it will make it go away. I’m deleted and stage 2, lots of logs to the tuner and they couldn’t see anything wrong.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Dpf is OK it stops the black soot, please keep it. In my opinion it's a good bulletproof system (unless it cracks which seems like a North American problem cos I've not heard of it since the earliest days of dpf's)

When it's working you don't need to do anything. Some people continue driving if it's regen-ing but that's not actually required
The DPF certainly is not a bulletproof system. They were fragile prior to the VW fix and now failing at even a higher rate due to extensive regens and higher soot loading.

Sliks

TDI
Golf 1.6 CR Tdi
The DPF certainly is not a bulletproof system. They were fragile prior to the VW fix and now failing at even a higher rate due to extensive regens and higher soot loading.
Hi Matt927 you may be right, but from my prospective with limited diy level knowledge/research Inc being a reader of multiple vw forums, and I am over the pond, I have concluded the dpf is a reliable system (nearly 200k miles untouched on mine). This means I am happy to have the dpf and feel confident that even if a fault is reported on the system it can be repaired very cheaply.

Almost all dpf faults are other things preventing the dpf from regen-ing in this opinion. Worst case scenario it needs cleaning (only if you left repair very very late) and the fault preventing it from regen-ing rectifying.

I'm not aware of failing dpf's but do acknowledge that north America is reporting some cracked dpf's.

To benefit from the overall reliability a person has to be diy, the system may become a costly complicated pain, not bulletproof, if one needs to pay professionals to do the work.

Last edited:

slbert

TDI
2012 Golf
Sorry, got caught doing the work thing.... the hesitation is not all the time, just occasionally. It probably is the "de-fueling" as mentioned above. Like the car is trying to find the sweet spot between coasting and giving gas..... it just doesn't do it well. I won't lose sleep over it.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Hi Matt927 you may be right, but from my prospective with limited diy level knowledge/research Inc being a reader of multiple vw forums, and I am over the pond, I have concluded the dpf is a reliable system (nearly 200k miles untouched on mine). This means I am happy to have the dpf and feel confident that even if a fault is reported on the system it can be repaired very cheaply.

Almost all dpf faults are other things preventing the dpf from regen-ing in this opinion. Worst case scenario it needs cleaning (only if you left repair very very late) and the fault preventing it from regen-ing rectifying.

I'm not aware of failing dpf's but do acknowledge that north America is reporting some cracked dpf's.

To benefit from the overall reliability a person has to be diy, the system may become a costly complicated pain, not bulletproof, if one needs to pay professionals to do the work.
It is a well known issue in North America, more so after the Volkswagen fix. I am not sure how the DPFs are fairing on the newer EA288, but on the older CJAA engines, etc they are failing at a good rate. I have been through three since the Volkswagen emissions fix, in 60,000 miles of driving. It continues to happen and was a reason for the national shortage of DPFs last summer.

Funny thing is, almost every TDI I see in a parking lot now has black soot in the exhaust tips. You used to be able to run your finger in the exhaust and it would come out clean.

Sliks

TDI
Golf 1.6 CR Tdi
It is a well known issue in North America, more so after the Volkswagen fix. I am not sure how the DPFs are fairing on the newer EA288, but on the older CJAA engines, etc they are failing at a good rate. I have been through three since the Volkswagen emissions fix, in 60,000 miles of driving. It continues to happen and was a reason for the national shortage of DPFs last summer.

Funny thing is, almost every TDI I see in a parking lot now has black soot in the exhaust tips. You used to be able to run your finger in the exhaust and it would come out clean.
Yes the early dpf's did have more regen trouble, 2009 especially and the system must have been tweaked by 2011. Since then I'm not aware of any panic level issues. Don't get me wrong dpf's are getting full and being replaced. However this is due to other issues and the dpf 'replacement' being wholly unnecessary except in the case of cracked dpf's (ie soot in the tailpipe with dpf installed)

A few of the common case studies, customer:I got a dpf problem, fault light on. Garage: let's replace dpf. Customer comes online forums says I got dpf problem. He is asked what did you do. He says I fixed xyz and left exhaust clamp loose. I kept driving the car so soot loading is now so high it won't allow regen, not even standing regen. Best Solution: now clean dpf and ensure exhaust clamp is sealing. Possible solution 1:replace dpf. solution2:delete system, remap ecu.

A second common case study: Customer:my dpf is blocked. Garage: you have fault codes for egr/throttle valve, and dpf. Lets replace the lot. Real solution: identify actual problem with egr/throttle body and rectify as required, go on a drive and allow dpf to regen, cost: as little as 1 can carb cleaner. Labour might require some hours though

Case study 3, customer: I look after my car but keep having EGR and dpf issues. Upon a thorough investigation he says I use a brilliant expensive oil at service. Upon further investigation it is found that brilliant expensive oil does not meet vw ash content specifications 'c' rating. Solution clean EGR, replace oil to correct specification, regen dpf.

I hope the above makes sense. The dpf's themselves do not have issues impeding regen. It is always something else (except in the case of cracked dpf's in North America.). The dealer ecu software has caused some trouble as well on some models but again that's an external issue to the dpf itself.

So as far as my research into the matter over the last few years has concluded, the dpf's are bulletproof in that they are not at fault themselves. I hope you can see where I coming from

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Excessive soot loading and extremely high temperature/long duration regenerations caused by the Volkswagen Emission Fix are causing DPF failures in this country. I do not know about the United Kingdom though, I am in North America. The amount of cracked DPFs prior to the fix was unacceptable and now it is laughable. No one will be able to continue to pay for DPFs after their warranty is expired from Dieselgate. Two or three replacements is more then the value of some of these vehicles.

I am referring to the complete line of pre EA288 engines, not just the 2009 vehicles.

Last edited:

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
I've felt this too. Either upshift or give it a little accel and let off the pedal. I've tried a different MAF thinking that was a potential cause but it wasn't. Just need to adjust your driving accordingly.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Someone posted that the Dieselgeek P2015 manifold fix significantly reduced the hesitation. On my list.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Someone posted that the Dieselgeek P2015 manifold fix significantly reduced the hesitation. On my list.
I don't believe that comment. I had a similar fix and there was no change. Then I received a brand new manifold under warranty and again there was no change in the behavior. The de-fueling scenario is a "feature" for our cars. I think the only thing that would change the behavior is a tune of some kind.

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
I have a 2011 JSW and Had the exact same thing happening. Just as you described. As others have mentioned, it's a common, well document problem with these cars.

The fix for me was a delete and tune. This issue vanished.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Whose tune? I strongly suspect it can be tuned out, especially since the issue seems to vanish when ambient temperature is below 5C, which I believe is the lower limit of emissions testing. Maybe I’m just cynical.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Whose tune? I strongly suspect it can be tuned out, especially since the issue seems to vanish when ambient temperature is below 5C, which I believe is the lower limit of emissions testing. Maybe I’m just cynical.
I first noticed this on my car after the VW fix, never before. Then it was deleted and tuned. Still doing it. At all temps (-40 to +30°c)
Light pedal, not really accelerating, just ‘coasting’ along usually more noticeable around ~2000rpm. As soon as you step on it, or let off the throttle it’s fine. At least in my experience. Tuner had no indications of a problem from multiple data logs.