2010 Golf TDI with HPFP Failure

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
A possibility here is that the new members are the ones that bought 2009's and 2010's, and want to absolutely deny that they are driving a car that could have a catastrophic failure (in our out of warranty). :confused:
As a "new member", I'd like to say that I have 45,000 miles without major mechanical problems (only problem was the battery that failed after a year). I have yet to do the DSG maintenance or change the air filter, changed the fuel filter 4,000 miles late, and did the oil 2,000 miles late. The oil didn't look gross or smell bad like used oil does, and the fuel filter was clean enough that I should have shoved it right back in and gone another 10,000 miles.

I do my maintenance when I feel like it and just drive the car, like I've driven and maintained every other car I've ever had. Am I worried about any issues with these components since I have by some accounts neglected them? Not really. Reading the sky-is-falling posts here about the HPFP failures made me almost certain that I'd see rust and metal chunks in the filter housing, and I didn't. I'm now convinced that it's a rare manufacturing problem that no amount of additives or preventative measures will fix. It should also be covered by warranty or extended warranty. If you make it past that point, it shouldn't grenade. If it's not covered by warranty or extended warranty, there is no gasoline in the fuel, and VW doesn't cover it, the post is either fictitious or the dealer needs to be reported to the BBB and fought until they cover it.

To state this simply... A lot of posts exist to prove that HPFP failures exist, but they are by far not the norm (perhaps they are the norm for posts here though), and the majority of drivers should have no reason to be concerned.

Some people might, for one reason or another, want to discredit anyone posting a HPFP issue, and this post is exceptionally unbelievable in that the OP was given "hush money". Does that mean that we shouldn't take the OP seriously? No. Because if we react with "OMG YOU'RE SO LYING", and he is lying, then we are feeding the troll. If he is not lying, we are making a potential asset to the club feel alienated and unwelcome.

So, while some people might not believe someone posting a HPFP issue (remember how badly dwiesel was reacted to??), the best course of action is to respond with encouragement and sympathy to their issue. If it's a troll, they'll silently disappear (trolls eat uproar and unrest). If it's legit, the person might actually be able to provide some valid feedback that might help the whole community (e.g. "I filled up with gasoline", "Dyed diesel fuel", "Additive brand X", "Station Diesel had x% gasoline", "Growing an algae farm in my fuel tank", "Build date X", "Fuel pump serial number X", etc.)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
My god people, pick a part on these cars...any part and survey the failure rates among the board. I have news for you, sh*t breaks. why is that so hard to accept? Hey my 09 had a tire blow out and needs rear breaks at 33k. should i upload some pictures of my thinning pads and scan my costco recipt for the 4 michilins? Why dont all the members here get barcode tattoos that we can scan every time we need a repair and Fred can play big brother monitoring the authentisity of our claims. If you excuse me i need to make a new tinfoil hat so VW cant read my thoughts.

+1 Were can I get my bar code:D That all Fred needs now is keep track of bar codes like he has nothing better to do :rolleyes:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I don't think anybody was saying the OP didn't have an HPFP failure, just that the no-diagnosis-$1,000-hush-money was questionable.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
....... if you guys believe this I have some basement apartments for sale over on the beach. BS....
I call BS.

it wasnt HPFP it was bad fuel, if it even happened, which I doubt
... I just find it odd that as the "lore of the HPFP" has spread, the accounts get sketchier and sketchier. People join forums just to talk about the horror, but don't sound credible. Don't mean to impugn everybody who has suffered, but this is sounding more and more like ginned up baloney to me.
Second one in a week that just doesn't pass the smell test.

P.
Not sure where you live but in my neck of the wooks that's called a bribe... Don't believe the guy anyway...... :rolleyes:
OP is a troll and full of BS
I also have my doubts about the whole story, too. So until the repair sheet scan gets posted I'll remain a skeptic.....

Yea the VW apologists didn't jump on this one, so far the only person missing is Rod- I chalk it up to him being on vacation and not checking the forum.

I will say the vibe of this forum has changed in the short time I've been a member, during the huge DMF mess people posting weren't treated this rudely. I, like someone else has already posted, find it seems to be many of the newer members.

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
I will say the vibe of this forum has changed in the short time I've been a member, during the huge DMF mess people posting weren't treated this rudely. I, like someone else has already posted, find it seems to be many of the newer members.
+1

Outside of mass-misfueling, this is another byproduct of selling a mainstream diesel...can we send these folks back to vortex? :rolleyes:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
K.M,
Charming. Very helpful. Now just go away.
Moderator, please delete his post. It has no value whatsoever.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
saaronson-

What exaxtly did VW say to you when they "offered" the $1,000? Was this for your "inconvenience"? Did you have to sign something in order to receive this money? Do you have the money in hand yet? I don't believe you have replied back to the forum on this so-called "hush money" and the details behind it. I'm curious as to the circumstances of this "payment for your troubles". This could open up Pandora's box. I'm certain the VW liars errrrrrrrrrr... lawyers are on this forum daily trying to figure out how to sweep this HPFP under the rug. What ticks me is that some dealers cover it, others do not. My 2009 is running like a champ with almost 40K miles. If my HPFP craps out, I'll be taking a copy of your work invoice with me to the dealership in case they have amnesia about the HPFP problem. Thanks for posting it for us.

If you get the money, you will make out better than those that end up being part of any class action lawsuit. The total payout from VW to all those owners will be about $200/car. The lawyers are the ones who get most of the lawsuit money anyway.:p

K.M

TDI
none
K.M.: Go buy another F150. I'm sure it will be just as trouble free as your 500k mile one has been.
Thanks, but my 500K F150 is doing fine unlike this HPFP issue. Too bad what seemed to be a decent car engine combo, VW has totally handeled wrong and have been fiercely defend by many on this site.

The only reason to even consider the TDI (despite it being a VW) is it is a CAST IRON block 4 cyl diesel (longevity ...should go at least 300k even though I would expect more seeing I have put 500K on a gas engine) Second, it is a DIESEL (gas mileage). The HPFP has made both of these points moot. If this issue continues and is not resloved, most will probably trade or sell these cars; totally counterproductive to the purpose of owning a diesel in the first place.

Question? Mercedes has used common rail direct injection (CDI) in the U.S. on 2005-2006 E-class models; pre ULSD. If this was fuel lubricity issue, like some have speculated, why are these cars not grenading their HPFP?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I think it might be better said. The HPFP issue affects an extremely small percentage of CRs in a big way.

dweisel
True. But I don't think VW is doing anything different than any other manufacturer out there when there's a very small percentage of catastrophic failures out there. Some get warranteed, some don't. The more that get reported to the NHTSA, the more likely there is to be a recall.

K.M said:
Thanks, but my 500K F150 is doing fine unlike this HPFP issue. Too bad what seemed to be a decent car engine combo, VW has totally handeled wrong and have been fiercely defend by many on this site.

The only reason to even consider the TDI (despite it being a VW) is it is a CAST IRON block 4 cyl diesel (longevity ...should go at least 300k even though I would expect more seeing I have put 500K on a gas engine) Second, it is a DIESEL (gas mileage). The HPFP has made both of these points moot. If this issue continues and is not resloved, most will probably trade or sell these cars; totally counterproductive to the purpose of owning a diesel in the first place.

Question? Mercedes has used common rail direct injection (CDI) in the U.S. on 2005-2006 E-class models; pre ULSD. If this was fuel lubricity issue, like some have speculated, why are these cars not grenading their HPFP?
More than likely the HPFP on the Mercedes is a different pump, built to different standards, to pump non-ULSD fuel, at probably different pressures, with a different filtration system.

What are they expected to do? Give all CR buyers a disclaimer that there's a small chance that the HPFP might grenade? AFAIK there's no recall for the PD cam issue or balance shaft issue. How many people have had problems with those items?

While I'm sure that not all HPFP failures are listed here as there's only 27 listed, how many CRs have been sold in the US with ZERO fuel system problems?

I'm not defending VW. My '09 has 40,500 miles. If my HPFP fails, I'll be pissed. I could go tomorrow and buy a Prius and then have the battery pack fail. Or have an accelerator problem. Or need a $300 headlight bulb.

Last edited:

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'll guess that I'll weigh in some on this.

I bought one recently without knowing about the HPFP issue (my own fault, should have done the research). Almost returned it for a gasser because I was worried about it and have decided to stay on board and hang in there with it.

I can't help but wonder how many people search the internet after having this problem and end up in here. I know it's the first thing I would've done.

What that may mean is that it seems like a more common problem than it really is because there is a relatively high percentage of folks who come to this board BECAUSE of the problem.

I noticed this with our recent failure in Australia for the Tiguan. He joined up and posted AFTER he had the problem, not before.

I'm coping by running B2 and maybe changing the fuel filter at 10000 miles to inspect it. It doesn't hurt that the thing is SO much more fun to drive than my old Prius.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... when there's a very small percentage of catastrophic failures out there. Some get warranteed, some don't. The more that get reported to the NHTSA, the more likely there is to be a recall....

...While I'm sure that not all HPFP failures are listed here as there's only 27 listed, how many CRs have been sold in the US with ZERO fuel system problems?

I'm not defending VW. My '09 has 40,500 miles. If my HPFP fails, I'll be pissed. I could go tomorrow and buy a Prius and then have the battery pack fail. Or have an accelerator problem. Or need a $300 headlight bulb.
Nor am I defending VW. I have now visited 3 high-volume VW dealers in the N. VA. area (suburban DC). In all 3 cases, I heard the same thing. ZERO TDI HPFP failures.
So how many 100s of CR TDIs have they sold in the region? I know of at least 10 within 2 miles of my house. There are 3+ million people in the region, with the VW/Audi line being big sellers.

I agree with Dweisel...the "HPFP issue affects an extremely small percentage of CRs in a very big way."

Last edited:

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Nor am I defending VW. I have now visited 3 high-volume VW dealers in the N. VA. area (suburban DC). In all 3 cases, I heard the same thing. ZERO TDI HPFP failures.
So how many 100s of CR TDIs have they sold in the region? I know of at least 10 within 2 miles of my house. There are 3+ million people in the region, with the VW/Audi line being big sellers.

I agree with Dweisel...the "HPFP issue affects an extremely small percentage of CRs in a very big way."
Lets be blunt, unless you really know the person, they aren't going to tell you anything. When the DMFs were coming apart, I went to Fitz, King and Congressional and sure enough, none of them had heard of a DMF failing unless it was abuse. Only took 6 more months for a TSB.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Boy this thread is sure sounding like the VW denial of the B5.5 balance shaft mess about a year ago. Yes a very small percentage of the cars grenaded but most of the cars didn't barf out during the warranty period. VW said, "Oh there is not a problem" or the dealers gave the "deer in the headlights look". I'll take my fixed B5.5 balance shaft over this. I sure hope they get a grip on this.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no reason NOT to believe what I was told, based on the extent of my conversations with each of these folk. While none is a "friend", I've been in close contact with 2 of them since Dweisel's HPFP failure.
Of course, you're entitled to believe what you want as well.
Based on my shopping experience with 2 of the dealers you mentioned, I wouldn't believe them either!:D

slash28

TDI
none yet; '08 Rabbit S
...I went to Fitz, King and Congressional and sure enough, none of them had heard of a DMF failing...
I was at [one of those three dealerships] a few months ago and asked the service guys if they'd heard of the HPFP issue. Of course, "No." I told them how much I'd read about it on the Internet. "The Internet you say?" Just then, another employee walked up front and heard me discussing HPFP failures, but apparently hadn't heard the other guys' responses. He immediately mentioned the TDI that was currently in the back getting the entire fuel system replaced.

I'm not making any accusations, but I didn't leave with a positive impression when (A) the service reps supposedly weren't aware of a catastrophic potential warranty problem carrying an $8K price tag (even if the number of occurrences is small), or that (B) they weren't aware of the car they were currently fixing, seemingly for that exact problem. They'd also never heard of TDIClub.

I realize that it's difficult to keep track of everything that is going on with everyone else at work, it is impossible to be aware of every website on the Internet, and everyone can't be an expert on every issue plaguing a particular brand of automobiles. That being said, I find it very hard to believe that none of them knew about any of this, unless they really just don't give a **** about their chosen trade.

Last edited:

bradysplace

TDI
2013 bug conv. tdi
Nothing seems to change

If you enjoy cars and car talk most people will populate on to the apporiate forum. I usually get two to three new cars a year (I don't drink or do drugs - cars are my choice of drugs) and find myself on different forums. Had a 2011 Subaru Outback for three months and boy the forum was all churned up about a shake in the front end and the factory was hesitant to acknowledge the problem as being anything more than an occassional issue. Much name calling and questioning forum contributors etc. People were not polite and often insensitive ............ just like this forum (and almost all others). Because its the internet we are forced to deal with people with all levels of intellect and maturity. Thats not to say all posts are truthful - its how we deal with perceived untruths that say something about our group as a whole. This is my 6th tdi. Over the period of years there has always been some issue that caused a stir! I am not naive about corporate practices but this car business is truly a small world (because of things like the internet) and only VW knows the extent of hpfp failures and they will do what is required under the warranty to fix the problem. If the problem happens outside the warranty it will be handled as they would any other problem outside of warranty. They know that because of the retail cost of repair being so high - if a significant number of cars have the problems outside of warranty - perspective buyers (and car mag's) will get word and the sales will begin to tumble. This problem has been around for over a year now and hasn't hurt VW tdi sales a bit! Sorry for sounding off - but the poor person who had this fuel system problem in a new tdi simply wanted to share the issue. I bet the poster did not expect to get the treatment that was handed out.

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
If you enjoy cars and car talk most people will populate on to the apporiate forum. I usually get two to three new cars a year (I don't drink or do drugs - cars are my choice of drugs) and find myself on different forums. Had a 2011 Subaru Outback for three months and boy the forum was all churned up about a shake in the front end and the factory was hesitant to acknowledge the problem as being anything more than an occassional issue. Much name calling and questioning forum contributors etc. People were not polite and often insensitive ............ just like this forum (and almost all others). Because its the internet we are forced to deal with people with all levels of intellect and maturity. Thats not to say all posts are truthful - its how we deal with perceived untruths that say something about our group as a whole. This is my 6th tdi. Over the period of years there has always been some issue that caused a stir! I am not naive about corporate practices but this car business is truly a small world (because of things like the internet) and only VW knows the extent of hpfp failures and they will do what is required under the warranty to fix the problem. If the problem happens outside the warranty it will be handled as they would any other problem outside of warranty. They know that because of the retail cost of repair being so high - if a significant number of cars have the problems outside of warranty - perspective buyers (and car mag's) will get word and the sales will begin to tumble. This problem has been around for almost three years now and hasn't hurt VW tdi sales a bit! Sorry for sounding off - but the poor person who had this fuel system problem in a new tdi simply wanted to share the issue. I bet the poster did not expect to get the treatment that was handed out.
AFAIK, dweisel was the first to report an HPFP problem on TDIClub ( 09-28-09). That's a little over a year ago not three years ago that I and probably most members became aware of a potential HPFP issue on the Jetta CR.

I also know that VW replaced the fuel system on one a 2009 Jetta TDI being tested by Popular Mechanics (August 2009 Report).
The dealer techs found that the fuel system had been contaminated with either water or bad diesel. So the entire fuel system was replaced, along with the fuel tank itself—all under warranty
Please cite your source that the HPFP problem has been around for almost three years. The problem appears to have been around about one year not three and if this is true, VW TDI sales will be in trouble.:D.