2009 TDI Jetta DSG to 6 speed swap

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
Hey everyone. I have a 2009 TDI and this thing has been nothing but a nightmare since I bought it.
Anyways I was trying to sell it and right as I was going to send it off with the next owner, the dsg went (not shifting into gear and having issues shifting gears). Anyways, I don’t want to lose all my money selling it broken, so I am wondering how difficult it would be to 6 speed swap it. I could also throw a used transmission at it, but I feel making it a 6 speed would raise its value quite a bit.
Anyone here ever have experience 6 speed swapping a 2.0 CR TDI?

edit: if there is a way to rebuild the existing transmission, I’d be open to doing that as well (this car has already taken all my blood sweat and tears so why not a little more)
thanks for any replies

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Maybe we're just different, but there's no way I'd go through the hassle and expense of a swap just to sell it. Unless you have the pedals, linkage, and interior bits on hand its not going to be cheap. Not including a transmission.....and possibly the ECM? Most cars/trucks it matters, not sure about this instance.
I'd also question the consensus that it would add value....perhaps to many members here it would, avg Joe that's local and most likely to buy it, that's a crap shoot. Automatics have become more popular than standard transmissions to general Jonny Q Public. By numbers alone you probably have a better shot at selling it as an auto....

Have you access to VCDS? Maybe get a better perspective as to what happened to your DSG, unless it was a catastrophic failure and is obvious. Just a bunch of rambling, sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
Maybe we're just different, but there's no way I'd go through the hassle and expense of a swap just to sell it. Unless you have the pedals, linkage, and interior bits on hand its not going to be cheap. Not including a transmission.....and possibly the ECM? Most cars/trucks it matters, not sure about this instance.
I'd also question the consensus that it would add value....perhaps to many members here it would, avg Joe that's local and most likely to buy it, that's a crap shoot. Automatics have become more popular than standard transmissions to general Jonny Q Public. By numbers alone you probably have a better shot at selling it as an auto....

Have you access to VCDS? Maybe get a better perspective as to what happened to your DSG, unless it was a catastrophic failure and is obvious. Just a bunch of rambling, sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.
No that’s all valid points. I have an obdelevn
I’ll scan it after work. Just been upset with the thing since that whole incident so I haven’t wanted to touch it. That makes sense though about converting, didn’t think about all the extra crap I’d need.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I'd also capture a little bit of the fluid to see what it looks like. If you have a spare filter you could open it up and look for contamination. Those 2 things will likely tell you if you had a mechanical failure. If both look fine, it could be fixable.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why not try and diagnose the existing transmission problem first? The 02E is generally a pretty good unit.