2009 TDI dying under any load

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
I have a 2009 Jetta tdi cr
Got new HPFP, injectors, fuel pressure sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, both low pressure fuel pumps, flushed whole system
Just deleted the DPF/egr last weekend and now under any load, the pump seems like it is running out of fuel, the car starts misfiring and will die if I keep my foot on the pedal. It basically can’t go above 30% throttle or it’ll start doing this. It just started doing this after the delete. Is it possible the fuel filter clogged up while it was sitting? I did the delete over a few weeks.
what could be the issue. Im not getting any check engine lights, not going into limp mode. I can send a video of this happening too if it’ll help.
Edit: I have Malone 0.5 tune with delete
Edit 2: fuel filter replaced, no change.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I had similar issue with my 2014 JSW the culprit was mold/mildew in the fuel tank from sitting as an buyback car. Make sure your fuel tank is clean. How long did she sit?

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
I had similar issue with my 2014 JSW the culprit was mold/mildew in the fuel tank from sitting as an buyback car. Make sure your fuel tank is clean. How long did she sit?
It’s had this fuel in it for probably over a month at this point. Sat for 3.5 weeks total I’d say if any mold or mildew got in the fuel filter then I bet it would’ve have had enough time to grow and clog the filter.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep it can be small tiny black specks in the fuel meter valve housing. That’s a telltale sign. I will upload a pic of that soon as I get on the pc.

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
Yep it can be small tiny black specks in the fuel meter valve housing. That’s a telltale sign. I will upload a pic of that soon as I get on the pc.
That’s a relief, I took off the meter valve to check for metal, as I thought my new pump might have taken a crap, but I just saw 2 black specs. So I will go ahead and replace that fuel filter tomorrow.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I had my BRM screen plugup in the tank and would cause random stalling.

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
ok. check fuel tank inside. my JSW was caked with mold/mildew in the fuel tank from 2 years sitting.

Okay, I put a new filter in. Same issue. So what I found is that if I prime the fuel system, it i can floor it for about 7 seconds before it does the symptoms. But then after that point, any load at all above 30% will start vibrating the car. So I’m thinking it may be a pinched fuel line from the fuel tank. Not sure what else would cause a lack of fuel. I guess it’s also possible that I got a bad lift pump from Bosch.

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
And again, this never happened before I deleted it. Right when I deleted it, it started doing this.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
with bad old stale fuel, it will cause engine to run rough and awful sounds. exhaust fumes wont be nice........ I dealt with that a while back. stopped going to that gas station with low traffic.

I've been going to high traffic fuel stations such as Racetrac and Wawa. tons tons of diesel trucks go there in Central Florida.

here's a prime reason why,

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
with bad old stale fuel, it will cause engine to run rough and awful sounds. exhaust fumes wont be nice........ I dealt with that a while back. stopped going to that gas station with low traffic.

I've been going to high traffic fuel stations such as Racetrac and Wawa. tons tons of diesel trucks go there in Central Florida.

here's a prime reason why,

I was searching an earlier thread and I happened to stumble upon some of your older posts. I saw you converted ur cars to CP3 pumps. I’m afraid my hpfp failed again, due to this mold contamination. I saw some shavings in the filter, so I’d like to swap to cp3 before it grenades and ruins everything else. Mind if I message you about some specifics of cp3 swap?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
sure go ahead. glad you caught the metal shavings.

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
Update: got the cp3 installed and I’m faced with the same issue. Fuel pressure and injection quantity are great. But it still misfires and dies. Here is some more specific details. I did my DPF delete. During that same time, I installed both new electric fuel pumps and a pressure regulator valve, as well as put a 0.5 Malone tune with emissions delete. The pressure regulator valve was faulty from the factory, so I warrantied it out for a new one, and that’s when it started dying like it is now. Before the old valve would give me limp mode every time I hit the throttle, and now the new valve just makes the car die under any load (except now with the cp3, it does sometimes get into load and work good. Is it possible that it is the lift pump? Or did I somehow get two faulty pressure regulator valves? This car is really frustrating me at this point. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

edit: I did forget to mention at the top, that even when the car dies and stops firing completely, the fuel pressure and injection quantity are still up to spec. I did drain the entire fuel tank and filled it with fresh diesel from a station with high semi truck volume, so I know it’s quality fuel.

Last edited:

Hornblende1

TDI
2004 Jetta
Could it be related to my injectors? Maybe they got algae contamination which is creating some blockage.