2007 Arctic Cat 700 Diesel 4 wheeler

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I just wanted to announce that I just bought one and that I should have it in a couple of weeks (shipping from across the country). I can't wait to ride it. Anyone else have a diesel ATV?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, I have a '99 Polaris 455cc Diesel ......... it's a horse on the trails!

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I'm jealous! I've been eyeing one of these since they first came out. I had a AC 400 4x4 that I loved to death but it got totaled in an accident. So I've been looking for something better to replace it :). I also just saw in an atv magazine the other day that AC is bringing back the diesel for the 2010 model year. Bout damn time; a 2 year run was not enough.

Read this for how to turn up the injectors, courtesy of club member Cutter:

"They tell you you need some very expensive tools to perform this task but, I did it with screw drivers and wrenches. you will need to purchase a "torqs" bit, tamper proof type that has a hole in the center, to allow you to remove the valve cover. The most difficult part is you have to remove all the front plastic and the air cleaner, use bungee cords to hold the water hose back out of the way and be careful not to damage the valve cover gasket. Once you have access to the injectors, follow the instructions in the book and adjust them to the maximum setting. If you do this they should stay balanced. Now, loosen the lock nut on the injector timing screws and turn it 1/4 turn to the right, clockwise and re-tighten it. Be sure not to over tighten the torqs screws on the injectors, just snug them up. Put the valve cover back on and start it. Let it warm up and take it for a spin and see how it does. You may need to tinker with the timing a little but too much advance is just as bad as not enough. Remember to turn the timing screws equal amounts and if you need to back them off a little, back them off in equal amounts. 1/2 turn on the timing adjustments equals 5 degrees. Lombardin sets them at 13-14 degrees before top dead center and that is fine for the stock injector setting but when you increase the injector stroke, you also need to turn up the timing. It won't smoke in normal operation but will produce some faint grey smoke under full throttle operation. You will feel the difference as well as hear the engine working better. The last thing you need to do is to remove the three screws on the spark arrest-or and pull it out. The engine needs to breath and this will help a bunch. I made a triangle out of steel, drilled the holes for it and then had a tailpipe welded on. You also need to tack weld or even better, silver solder the spark arrest-or to the inside of new tailpipe so you can re-install it. Running on bio-diesel, even with the new tuning, the AC diesel is still eco friendly and a lot more enjoyable to ride. I will tell you the increase in torque and horsepower is significant."

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
I took delivery of my (new to me) oil burner quad on Monday. It definately sounds like a diesel! I put about 5 miles on it tooling around my neighborhood and a close by field. In my opinion, it's fast enough for what I'm going to be doing (trail riding and some work around my property). In high gear, I hit about 43mph (according to the display). I will be putting my gps on it to compare accuracy. The engine was tuned using (atvwithcutter's) directions. It needs new rubber and I'm looking at some aftermarket items.
I need to get a picture of all 3 of my diesels.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Was that a new or used one you bought?This week I saw 2 new ones(leftovers)-one had a BIN of $7400 and the other sold for $5400 I think.I was looking at these awhile ago.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for not responding quicker. I bought mine used, very used...but also very cheap ($2300). Just under 6,000 miles on it. The plastic is pretty scratched up and 2 smaller cracks, but the engine, tranny, and drivetrain is pretty sound. If I were going to buy another used one (07 or 08), I wouldn't pay more than $5500 (they're listed at $9600 new). Check out craiglook.com and search for "arctic cat diesel" There's some deals to be had with slightly used ones (less than 500 miles) with many aftermarket options (winches, hand warmers, passenger seat, etc). It cost me ~$500 for shipping (haulbikes.com)