2006 no run issue

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Up date on Mine
New Harness from VW $355 no Help! still cranks but no start!
Cleaned all grounds under hood I could locate as noted in year Model specific Bently manual.

Vagcom shows no codes

Am I missing something stupid?

I bought used ECM off of ebay for $100 all same numbers.
Does this new ECM absolutely need to be sent off to be programed to my VIn # ????? Or will it plug and play??????
New used ECM is said to be removed from same car as mine 06 Jetta TDI 1.9
ECM # 03G 906 016 AB removed from my car and the new Ebay one match.

I am at a loss here in 30 years of fixing cars I have never had to replace an ECM NEVER!
I have always found bad wiring or Sensors this is a first for me.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I am pretty sure it does need to be programmed for the car due to the immobilizer, maybe others can chime in.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Is the tac still coming up to 300/400 RPM when cranking?

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I did not notice Tach needle moving on dash when cranking on it but wasn't really looking for it either.
I did note engine rpm on the Vag com scanner though even checked for it is showing.

again I am at a loss here

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Yes, the used ecm has to be sent along with the original one. They will clone the used one based off of the original one.
I just went thru all this with Charlie at Kerma TDI. https://kermatdi.com/
Car started right up and runs great.
Sent out the original one the first time to Module Experts ---charged 100.00+ to tell me it could not be rebuilt and than wanted 700.00 to send
me one that works. A Big Rip. So I got in touch with Kerma , end of story------

Just before this one, I had to replace the ECM in a 99 4runner. First time ever as well. The scan gauge was not a help.

Last edited:

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
RX7145
Yes RPM needle is jumping up to about 200 rpm or so while cranking. (Is that good or bad?)
(Dark in the shop and battery is drained a little from trouble shooting but did turn on lights to see it yes it is moving as I said about 200 rpm or so)

You mentioned in an earlyer post that you have these ECU's?
as I said above I bought a used one off of ebay it has the same numbers as on mine # 03G 906 016 AB
I read some were on line that just because the numbers match doesn't mean its for a manual transmission?????
I am not sure what I bought is correct or not now??????

Are you capable of checking these things out and cloning them as described by "Studebaker"
I am concerned about this automatic transmission deal, My car is a Manual..
I really have no way of knowing if the one I bought off ebay is any good or not either dont really have much faith in Ebay sellers anymore after being ripped off many times......

I also read some were online that even though the battery is disconnected unplugging the harness from the ECM some how messes up the ECM settings by simply unplugging the harness from the ECM is this true ???? could this be my issue?

Studebaker
I am glad you got your car running wish mine was, My back up car is way to expensive to drive daily as a commuter its putting me in the pore house.
What did Kerma charge you out of curiosity????

Last edited:

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
My understanding is if the needle is jumping/showing two 300 RPM the computer is able to compute engine speed and should fire injectors.

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Wow ok well now I am really confused?
I double checked fuel filter for being clogged up it had been changed recently when I did fuel pump in tank a few weeks back It was nice and clean when I opened it today but went ahead and installed another new one today while I had it apart, I had a friend turn key on and off and Fuel ran from top of filter assembly into a Cup so in tank pump does run at this time.

I had just changed the Tandom pump last week and wonder if it could be bad? I still have the old one I could put it back on for trouble shooting?

I also double checked for broken timing belt, its good. Pulled Valve cover inspected Cam All looks good.
Inspected wires to injectors no unpluged or loose injector wiring.

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Oh I will call them I have their Cam in my engine, I still have to wait for new ECM I bought off ebay to arive.
IF Its any good I don't have much faith in ebay. That and yesterday was Saturday today being Sunday they aint gonna be open.

I am gonna try to check New Tandom Pumps outlet fuel pressure today IF I have enough fittings to make it work with the Diesel fuel gauge set I have.
Or maybe put my old pump back on it it still ran with that old pump its only 4 bolts,

I would think the VagCom could see if Injectors are firing????? I am not great with that scanner tool never have been,
When I looked at Measuing blocks for the injectors The numbers were changing when I cranked the engine. that tells me they are firing but I am no TDI guru.

Yesterday when I checked the intank fuel pump I did get fuel out when key was engaged but It wasnt as much as I have seen come from a Gas powerd engine cars, Anyone have any Idea the amount of fuel it should push up when Key is cycled? I am seeing less than a what I would consider a full cup of fuel. but pump only runs a second or two b4 shutting off.

Just want to make sure its the ECM

Last edited:

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Got the new used computer today

Called Kerma talked to a guy on phone he wouldn't let me talk to Charly or anyone else said to email them they would respond in 24 hrs its been 3 days no reply. ****y customer service.

Does anyone know of another company that can change the Immobilizer chip and clone my old ecm over to the new used one?

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I got the new used ecm from ebay last night wish I could just plug it in and try it.
I may Try to do immobilizer chip myself ? BUT I would rather some one experienced did it.

Why a Guy just cant plug in the cars serial number with the Vagcom /VCDS is beyond me?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Because then anyone that could purchase a VCDS could easily steal a car. If you make the immo too easy to go around, you defeat the purpose of it in the first place.

Although there are other ways to do it, obviously, so....

As it is, the VIN plate is visible through the windshield, as is the gov't standard. You can have a key cut by the VIN. So, an unscrupulous dealer parts guy could order a key from a VIN from anyone without any sort of proof of ownership, then that gets you in the car, and lets you turn the systems ON, then if you could just do a few key strokes with a laptop and software and go around the immo, you could steal your neighbor's car whenever you wanted. Heck, you could even just add your key to the "accepted" key count, and use it every night without them even knowing. :D

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I found the following on the VCDS web sight, My question is how do I get the Pin #s from my ecu and how can I get the Pin # for this new USED ECU? ANYONE?

Engine Control Unit (ECU) Swapping (USED ECU)

Prerequisites:

• The NEW (USED) ECU is already installed in the car.
  • Battery voltage at least 12.0 V.
  • All relevant coding and adaptation values have been transferred from the OLD (ORIGINAL) ECU to the NEW (USED) ECU.
  • Make sure to have BOTH PIN's, from the OLD (ORIGINAL) and the NEW (USED) ECU.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]

[Security Access - 16]

For the following procedure, use the PIN of the NEW (USED) ECU.

• 4/5-digit PIN
    • The PIN needs to be entered as 5-digit number. For example, if your PIN is 1234, enter 01234.

[Do it!]

• The instrument cluster now shows Immobilizer Adaptation active, wait until it changes to Immobilizer active - this may take up to 2 Minutes.

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter 050 in "Channel Number".
[Read]
For the following procedure, use the PIN of the OLD (ORIGINAL) ECU.

• 4/5-digit PIN
    • The PIN needs to be entered as 5-digit number. For example, if your PIN is 1234, enter 01234.

[Test]
Check the 1st measuring value.
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

• Switch OFF the ignition and let the car sit for ~1 minute, then switch ON the ignition again.
  • Verify that the NEW (USED) ECU now shows the VIN (and if supported IMMO-ID) of the vehicle now.
  • The challenge of instrument cluster and ECU never matches, so don't bother checking them.
Engine Control Unit (ECU) Swapping (NEW ECU)

Prerequisites:

• The NEW ECU is already installed in the car.
  • Battery voltage at least 12.0 V.
  • All relevant coding and adaptation values have been transferred from the OLD (ORIGINAL) ECU to the NEW ECU.
  • Make sure to have the PIN of the CAR.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Adaptation - 10]

Enter 050 in "Channel Number".
[Read]
For the following procedure, use the PIN of the CAR.

• 4/5-digit PIN

[Test]
Check the 1st measuring value.
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

• The instrument cluster may now show Immobilizer Adaptation active, wait until it changes to Immobilizer active - this may take up to 2 Minutes.

• Switch OFF the ignition and let the car sit for ~1 minute, then switch ON the ignition again.
  • Verify that the NEW ECU now shows the VIN (and if supported IMMO-ID) of the vehicle now.
  • The challenge of instrument cluster and ECU never matches, so don't bother checking them.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a different tool. Ross-tech has refused to put that feature into their tool, because of liability and security reasons.

Google search "how to get SKC from Volkswagen"

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Oil Hammer
Did what you said Found Nothing! evidently VW can'T get it either they use special program to retrieve info from car?

Found threads about VCDS Tacho? deal that is supposed to be able to retrieve PIN#s

Found link on Kerma web sight for deleting Immobilizer and a sentence about cloning ecm's......
I am waiting for them to open and will call them again.

Last edited:

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Finally talked to Kerma said purchase ECM immobilizer delete online they send shipping info.
Said it was $159 to delete Immobilizer and another 159 to clone my old ecu BUT their is way to purchase cloning deal and again not able to speak with anyone about process. I asked if they were able to verify that new used ecm is good or bad? Said the guys who do it check it out first.

Sorry to say But I didn't get any real good information in my opinion nothing that made me feel any better about any of it.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's only an Immobalizer issue if the car starts and runs normally for 3-5 seconds and then shuts itself off, with the IMMOB light flashing.

Doesn't sound like yours starts at all?

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
OK well I took a deep breath started over with my trouble shooting and shot gunning parts........

Said F that Pulled brand new Tandem pump off and reinstalled my old original pump...... Car start's and runs fine once again!
I am gonna invest in a new fuel pressure gauge set up and some new fittings, Manual says to hook up gauge and run engine at 4k rpm!!! Well what do you do when it wont start??? If I had had correct gauge and fittings I think I would have seen something???? not the same pressure as at 4k rpm but something.

The Tandom pump new from AutohouseAZ pump was a "Pierburg" Brand if any one wants to know a Brand to steer clear from? it was $250 plus shipping. OH another thing about AutohouseAZ they only have a 30 day return window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am within that window and will get my money back from them but you may wanna keep that in mind if you buy parts from them.
Their is no way I will accept an exchange from same manufacture after towing car nearly 250 miles home and loosing 2 days work.

Any know of a Good name brand for these pumps other wise may buy it from VW ?
Glad i didnt do the ECM stuff I am only out $100 for the ebay computer purchase deal and can send it off for the Immobilizer delete at my convenience to have Generic ecm laying around for trouble shooting purposes.

Last edited:

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
OK well same day earlyer after getting it running I drove car up to gas station to get Pack of smokes then posted that above thinking I finally solved the issue, Got it home with no issues shut it off went in and got cleaned up Told Ol Lady lets go eat and Take VW ........ It wont start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH man ready to dump few gallons of gas on it throw a Match to it!!!!!!

Took my Vett instead had ok dinner at local place very discouraged, Was very unhappy with finding bad fuel pump BUT now???? what the heck is my original with 334K mile pump suddenly bad now too? Thats my guess at this point?

I have another used pump that I know worked when removed to try first just to make sure.
Other than fuel pumps I have no idea whats going on. I am at witts end with this thing.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Glad you got it going. That’s very odd that the new pump was bad. Sorry I need to ask this again but are you sure no fuel lines are switched? Your problems are the same mine.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
After re-reading the thread the ECM sounds like it’s dying.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Pierburg is one of the main OEMs of that particular tandem pump... you may have gotten a dud but the brand itself is very reputable.

You're 100% certain your in-tank lift pump is working correctly, every time? I ask because I faced a similar issue once... swapping the tandem pump got it running and I danced for joy... only to have it not start again the next time it was shut off. T'was an Intermittent in-tank lift pump. Priming the tandem pump made it work, but then it would die the next time the car was started... and they are prone to failure these days.

The tell, which I should have noticed sooner, is that after the no-start the fuel filter was dry.

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Played with it more today Yes Lift pump is working yes it is Plumbed correctly double checked hoses per Bently manual Put another Old Tandem pump on it and its running again, let it run for an hour in shop Drove around the block a couple times runs fine.
Parked in drive way gonna let it get cold for a couple hours see if it will start.

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Left it sit and tried it again and it fires right up so far so good.
I don't yet trust it for my work commute. (230 miles one way)
Need to get a few hundred miles on it hear locally first.

Been looking at BMW 330 Diesel any one heard anything about them?

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Well, I'll do an update on my ecm issue. Car is still running fine after changing it out with the junk yard unit that Kerma re-programmed.

Before I changed it, I had ordered a Ross Tech VCDS. They charged 199.00 for the unit and 36.77 for fedex ground shipping. Not knowing how big or heavy the box was they were sending, I did not complain about the shipping. (total on invoice 235.77) (see below, found they had actually charged my card 249.70, not 235.77 that was on the invoice)
After doing some more reading from several posters that said the VCDS would not tell you if the actual ECM was bad, I called and asked if I could send it back as it would not do what I needed. I had not even taken it out of the box it was sent in. Got the return number, put that unit still in box into a bigger box and shipped back priority mail for 10.85, a difference of 25.92 for shipping cost.
Checked the tracking number and info told me it was at post office ready for pickup. The next afternoon I sent an email showing tracking and ask why it had still not been picked up. Got a nasty reply back --
(You are expecting Ross-Tech to send someone to pick this up at the post office?
You did not send it for delivery to our offices????
We do not have spare personnel to run to a post office to pick up packages.
When and if the goods you are returning reach our offices, then we will refund the cost of the product returned as agreed.
Regards,
Bruce Ruhf
Director of Operations, Marketing and Sales)
So, I gave Bruce a call to find out what was going on, as I had sent it back to the proper address. I called the local USPS and they gave me the USPS number where the package was at, called them and found out the package had been put on wrong truck and would now be delivered in 10 to 15 minutes. Checked later and it had been delivered to them on 11/04/22. Never heard back. Just checked today 11/16/2022 and found they had originally charged my card a total of 249.70, a difference of 13.93 over the invoice. So, not only do I feel like they overcharged for shipping, but also orginally charged my card more than the invoice amount.
I will not recommend them to anyone else. I won't own or work on another vehicle that has to have a VCDS in order to work on it. Up to now, the Autel scanner I use had done eveything I needed as far as showing any trouble codes.