2004 Jetta vs 2005 Passat

cprboyle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, GLS 1.9L
Hi! I'm looking to buy a used TDI and low-cost to maintain is my priority.

I'm looking at a used:
2004 Jetta with 278k miles, manual transmission and
2005 Passat, 90k miles, newly replaced automatic transmission.
Both have new timing belts.

Assuming that the conditions are otherwise equal, which would you go with for reliability and cost to maintain?

The Jetta gets about 10 more miles per gallon I see. That could add up over time. (Also he sale price of the Jetta is about $500 cheaper... but that's *a lot* more miles.)

Thanks very much!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Passat is a nicer car. It should be. It cost more. It has a significantly more powerful engine, that more than makes up for the difference in weight. Even being an automatic, the BHW Passat will easily move better than a manual BEW car, and cruise much easier at higher speeds (they LOVE 80+).

But, it will cost more to fuel, and it will cost more to maintain under most definitions. I have/had both. If you just want A to B, a BEW+manual would be a better bet than the BHW Passat. Really cannot speak to the miles, as obviously there are a lot more things to consider. The Passat if it needed its transmission replaced at only 90k miles probably was not cared for. It also probably still needs its balance shaft drive addressed ($3k+). The Jetta should/would have had to have some items replaced in 278k. If not, it is likely in sorry shape.

Keep in mind, there are other cars that will cost even less to maintain, even if they only get 35 MPGs. They may not hold up as well for as long, but they'll be SO much cheaper to purchase/own/operate it won't matter.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have a 05 Passat wagon and have had a couple mk4 cars. The Passat is tons of fun to drive, loves 80+ mph and still gets decent fuel economy, but it's a ton harder to work on or get work done on. I'm a mechanic, so I do all the work on my own vehicles, but if I had to pay someone to work on my vehicles, I would probably avoid the b5.5 Passat.
Both of those cars are PD engines, and should have vw 505.01 spec oil because of the cam shafts. I use liqui-moly 4100 oil, which costs me about $45 for the oil change, and another $20 for the fuel filter. every 7500 miles. Id parts or other vendors sell an oil change kit for them.
The mk4 jetta is a lot smaller than the Passat and won't be as comfortable for long distance, but it's fuel economy would be higher.

cprboyle

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, GLS 1.9L
Thanks all. I suppose I should have said that I also am trying to get away from petroleum, and all electric cars would not be my first choice for longer trips. Hybrid is a choice, but there's plenty of biodiesel near me, and I just believe in that more. Technically carbon neural, and mild prepper in me likes that it's more apocalypse-friendly.

I should learn to work on cars some day. I've replaced fuel filters and alternators without issue, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Always more to learn in life I guess.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thanks all. I suppose I should have said that I also am trying to get away from petroleum, and all electric cars would not be my first choice for longer trips. Hybrid is a choice, but there's plenty of biodiesel near me, and I just believe in that more. Technically carbon neural, and mild prepper in me likes that it's more apocalypse-friendly.

I should learn to work on cars some day. I've replaced fuel filters and alternators without issue, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Always more to learn in life I guess.
If you want apocalyptic friendly, get a 1980's rabbit or Jetta... All of the TDIs are fairly dependant on electronics. But electronics make it more comfortable too. So choose your pick.