2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5-speed, $7500 In Iowa or Minnesota [SOLD]

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have too many 2003 ALH TDIs, not enough places to park them, and a couple of them are not getting driven enough. So I offer for sale this Candy White Jetta wagon. It was previously titled in the State of Washington and had a front hitch welded on the front for towing behind a motor home. I bought it sight-unseen from the son or nephew of the owner, and he misrepresented many facts about the condition. So while I paid an okay price for it in August 2019, I've ended up spending a lot of money in repairs and neglected maintenance. Almost all work performed by Eric Merker at Midwest Motorworks in Hudson, WI.

VIN: WVWSP61J63W564459

The basic facts:
256,900 when I bought it. About 282,000 miles now.
Borg-Warner S7 turbocharger
11mm injection pump (upgrade from the 10mm IP when I got it)
DLC764 nozzles (upgrade from whatever crappy ones were in it)
Malone tune (upgrade from Stevenson tune)
VR6/G60 SMF and clutch.
AC and heater work fine.
Dieselgeek Panzer skid plate with FMJ

The work initially required and performed: new windshield; removing front hitch and installing new bumper cover; RR caliper, rear pads and rotors (I think Akebono ceramic pads and Zimmerman rotors, but not 100% sure), e-brake cable; heater blend door; shift linkage; MAP sensor; door lock; VX Tuning headlights, antenna base, vacuum lines replaced, brake light switch, gear box fluid, dogbone mount, large radiator fan.

Later:
Dieselgeek timing belt kit, serpentine tensioner, and idler, Meyle 92° thermostat, RF wheel bearing, May 2020 at 260k miles
Rebuilt Bosch alternator installed by me and my brother-in-law, July 2020
Five Long Beach wheels, four good and one not so good for a spare and five new Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S, May 2021 at 272k miles
Rear wheel alignment with shims by The Alignment Guy in Hopkins, MN, 275k miles
Steering wheel sensor, Dec 2021, which fixed an ASR/ESP fault.

In addition to what I paid initially, I've spent more than $8500 for repairs and maintenance. So I have quite a lot of money invested, considering I've only added 27,000 miles in three years. My loss, your gain. Mechanically it doesn't need a thing.

It has no rust or dents. The bumper cover needs occasional touching-up and Candy White paint is included. It has a hitch. KYB shocks and struts, and the springs are good; I wanted to get a rear anti-sway bar but never got around to it.

I conservatively rate the body as 8/10 and the interior as 8/10 [Update: tear on driver's seat, so interior 7/10]. I put genuine fleece seat covers on the front seats, which go with the car if the buyer wants or I can keep them. The car runs great, but with the 17" wheels it's only averaged about 41 mpg. I don't know what oil was used before I bought it, but the engine has only had Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 since I've had it.

The wagon has been registered in Poweshiek County, Iowa since I bought it, driven by my sister and brother-in-law and occasionally by my nephew. I can offer it for sale in Iowa or I can bring it up to Saint Paul -- whichever is most convenient for the buyer. I will be traveling down to Iowa in a week or two to detail it and will offer more photos when I bring it north, or my sister can take more photos now if the prospective buyer wants to pick it up in Iowa. Cash, PayPal, or bank-to-bank transfer -- no credit or checks. I am not in a rush to sell.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
How come all the good TDIs are for sale on the west coast? :(
The wagon has been registered in Poweshiek County, Iowa since I bought it, driven by my sister and brother-in-law and occasionally by my nephew. I can offer it for sale in Iowa or I can bring it up to Saint Paul -- whichever is most convenient for the buyer.
Sounds like this one is in Iowa...

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I read his sig and saw San Diego. My mind shut down from there. LOL

I bought an nearly identical car to this in Iowa City a few years back from a forum member. Not as many upgrades but has an O2M. Great car. My wife would probably make me sleep on the couch a few nights if I asked her about this one. I might try asking anyway.😁

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
"Too many TDIs".... does not compute..... does not compute.... :D
I have my work car, the Tornado Red Golf with 930k+ miles. I have an Indigo Blue Golf that's my fun car and road trip car, but has a salvage title and probably wouldn't bring anywhere near the money I have in it. And I recently picked up another Jetta wagon that will be my daily when I retire the red Golf. So this one is the one that it makes the most sense to sell.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
good looking car and a ton of work on her, definitely will sell quick.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New photos, June 18th. It doesn't look too bad.

The receiver and tow ball weren't on the last time I saw it.

That is not rust on the leading edge of the rocker panel, just some dirt, but attention must be paid.

The most obvious body flaw. There's a one-inch gap where incipient rust was removed and a piece welded to the front of the rocker. Mud flaps would cover this, mostly, or it could be filled with bondo, then sanded and painted. I never got around to it. You can see that the car was hastily washed.

Touch-up paint will be included, and the bumper cover will need occasional touching-up.

Inside. I should mention that the headliner was sagging a bit and was fixed with upholstery tacks. Cheap but it looks pretty good, and nobody really notices the headliner unless it's sagging or torn or really dirty.

I have two codes for Monsoon radios, but not sure which one works with this unit so I'll have to give you both.

I'll keep the fleece seat covers unless the buyer really wants them.

These tears must be very recent. I didn't notice them when I was there during the Memorial Day weekend. I am not pleased.

Back seats will be cleaned.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I forgot to post this photo of the very filthy engine bay. But as you can see, everything is where it should be. Except for that plastic piece behind the driver's side headlight. Perhaps I can find it when I get down to Iowa. And I will clean that engine bay.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow-up: the wagon went to a good home in Wisconsin.