2003 Honda Pilot with ALH or BEW?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
my pilot is around 300k miles and when the motor goes I was wondering if putting an ALH or BEW is feasible.

I was leaning toward BEW because of its power capabilities.

is this project possible or even worth it?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
oh man. I've been eyeing this project. I would keep it simple: do FWD and swap in the entire TDI drivetrain (pick your poison).

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
oh man. I've been eyeing this project. I would keep it simple: do FWD and swap in the entire TDI drivetrain (pick your poison).
that would be the best route.

I was thinking of keeping the AWD and find adapter plates (if it exists lol) to make it work.

if people do it on Tacoma and jeeps. It may be possible, but a lot of of work and modifying.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Honda V6 will last as long as the rest of the car possibly could. And certainly longer than the transmission it is bolted to. I'd leave the Honda all Honda and look for something else.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
The Honda V6 will last as long as the rest of the car possibly could. And certainly longer than the transmission it is bolted to. I'd leave the Honda all Honda and look for something else.
didn't know it will last that long so far so good at 300k

Sawatarman

TDI
Volkswagen
First of all, you need to familiarize yourself in detail with the operating instructions attached to the vehicle. The manufacturer knows which parts wear out the fastest, which service interval is best to choose and which consumables to maintain the operability of the units. So the simplest and, at the same time, the essential rule is the strict implementation of the measures prescribed by the manufacturer. You can read on this site about how to extend your machine's service life, but you must follow all the recommendations.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Didn't Honda release a diesel in other parts of the world starting @2008 in the accord and crv, possibly other models? If so a half cut from one of these could be a bolt in solution.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Honda outsourced their diesels for a while (Isuzu, Peugeot) then later started in with their own but it was in smaller platform vehicles. And those are probably so tied to other parts of the car it may not be very easy to adapt to one of the very Americanized models we have here. You may as well just buy a different vehicle altogether.