2002 VW beetle GLS TDI cranks but won't start or dies 1 second later

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Here's a good thread from a while back:
I used loop knives as used by ceramic artists. Compressed air, oven cleaner, even a garden hose.
If I had to do it again all I would do is the knives and compressed air. And you need a mirror, and flashlight.
And of course, to make sure the valve of the port you're working on is closed!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Anything along those lines is good. Just don't allow any chucks/debris fall inside the motor (vacuum).

Clawfamily7

TDI
2002 vw beetle GLS TDI
Is there a good video for putting cylinder 1 at TDC? I think i need to see it done, but YouTube doesn't have anything specifically for a manual 1.9l TDI ALH, and I keep finding sales posts mostly on the forum.
The cam lobes are at the top but form a straight line, not a v

I'm just getting to cleaning the intake ports. I took the IM to a local shop for cleaning and they said it was completely clogged. The EGR valve hole size was down to about a nickel or dime before cleaning.

The intake ports really aren't bad. Maybe 1/16" of buildup just at the lip. I'm going to just knock that down, but hesitate to start because I'm not sure how to set it to TDC. Passenger side tire off and compressor and air fitting ready to go

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Is there a good video for putting cylinder 1 at TDC? I think i need to see it done, but YouTube doesn't have anything specifically for a manual 1.9l TDI ALH, and I keep finding sales posts mostly on the forum.
The cam lobes are at the top but form a straight line, not a v

I'm just getting to cleaning the intake ports. I took the IM to a local shop for cleaning and they said it was completely clogged. The EGR valve hole size was down to about a nickel or dime before cleaning.

The intake ports really aren't bad. Maybe 1/16" of buildup just at the lip. I'm going to just knock that down, but hesitate to start because I'm not sure how to set it to TDC. Passenger side tire off and compressor and air fitting ready to go

Look at post 18 for the diagram that shows a manual or automatic transmission flywheel marks. Simply rotate the crank with a 19mm 12 point socket until the mark lines up as indicated.

For the cam, you need the lock tool that fits in the slot on the rear where the vacuum pump attaches to verify it's at its TDC location. The V that is being referenced is if you are looking at the cam lobes and visualize a line through the centerline of each lobe. The would intersect to form a V.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Yes. Pretty simple on this car, no video required, but an attempt to make it plain;
->Turn crank clockwise until flywheel mark lined up (you have to remove the black rubber stopper to see the flywheel).
->Remove vacuum pump from head, and stick the "lock" plate in there. The channel should be horizontal!
(page 39 in this document)
->Put the pin into the injection pump lock hole (beware the sucker hole). It's in-line with the squareish boss on the top of the body of the pump. (pages 91 and 92 in the same document)
If all those fit nicely, you're at TDC. You'll notice (with the valve cover off of course) the lobes on cyl#1 are pointing upwards, equally, from the plane of the lifters faces.
déjà vu!

Last edited:

Clawfamily7

TDI
2002 vw beetle GLS TDI
So my husband finally got around to trying to weld the hole he drilled and resulting crack in the IM. Its not working, so it looks like I'll be buying a new or new to me IM. Is there really that much difference to have the PD150? What conversions, conversion pieces would I need for it?

Would it hurt To put the old IM back on improperly sealed just to see if it will crank after cleaning out all of the boogers?

I buy, fix (usually smaller less involved repairs) and flip cars. This one I'd like to keep a little longer as a run around car for me or my son, but it may not be around for too long. Or it may. I haven't decided yet. I had a '73 super beetle over 23 years ago that I loved. I have always wanted a diesel.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
There's an ALH manifold on ebay right now for $60.
Item #164329069061
Looks like a good seller too!
I wouldn't bother with the PD if you're at all unsure about the car as a keeper.
Get her running stock and ship shape, see where you're at. IMO

Clawfamily7

TDI
2002 vw beetle GLS TDI
There's an ALH manifold on ebay right now for $60.
Item #164329069061
Looks like a good seller too!
I wouldn't bother with the PD if you're at all unsure about the car as a keeper.
Get her running stock and ship shape, see where you're at. IMO
Thanks STDOUBT!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OMG THIS THREAD
so much triggering about things you never do to a TDI. like handel the nozzles, trying to clean some of the intake without cleaning the head
OMG NO STOP PLEASE YOUR KILLING HER!

Clawfamily7

TDI
2002 vw beetle GLS TDI
I ended up having to order a new-to-me IM. I can get all but one of the 6 bolts into the holes to attach it to the engine (all new bolts) the one that won't bite anything to start pulling in the bolt is the one I used my rocket socket on to get it out because the allen head hole was stripped. Any tips on getting a bolt back in??

Clawfamily7

TDI
2002 vw beetle GLS TDI
It looks like the first couple of threads are stripped on the engine head. I don't know how to upload the pic. Any suggestions for the engine head threads?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome to the world of thread tapping.
Take the bolt with you to a hardware store, pretty sure it's a M8x45mm.
Ask for a Tap that will bore to its size, thread pitch exactly.
You might get lucky and not have to over-tap to a larger size and use a helicoil.
The critical thing is to verify the thread pitch you need.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Pretty sure this car has multiple issues. I'd get it to run first, then go after the low power. Perhaps the new intake will get it it to start, run and idle correct.
VW TDI Search Engine

Clawfamily7

TDI
2002 vw beetle GLS TDI
Pretty sure this car has multiple issues. I'd get it to run first, then go after the low power. Perhaps the new intake will get it it to start, run and idle correct.
VW TDI Search Engine
Yeah, I know its multiple issues. Trying to tackle the biggest and see where I need to go next. I'm hoping I can get it to start once I can thread tap the last engine head intake manifold bolt hole and put it all back together. It'd be REAL nice if it clears up the majority of the issues, but not counting on it. I've tried to fix up too many cars at this point to believe that 😆

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
It's easy enough to pull the sender out as long as there's a small amount of fuel in the tank. I recently cleaned mine on a bew though. 90 to 95 percent blocked but still started and ran fine. Feel the bottom of the tank while you're there.

Clawfamily7

TDI
2002 vw beetle GLS TDI
It's easy enough to pull the sender out as long as there's a small amount of fuel in the tank. I recently cleaned mine on a bew though. 90 to 95 percent blocked but still started and ran fine. Feel the bottom of the tank while you're there.
Already did that. It was one of the first replacements I did. Hasn't run since before I replaced it