2002 TDI - Hates starting in warm temperatures

Jwhite28

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
My TDI glows great in the winter and will start after three glow plugs turns. Unfortunately in the summer it starts like a bag of crap. The glow plugs come on for a quick second. I normally let it glow 10 times before cranking, and then she cranks and struggles to start. Normally takes me 3 times of doing the glowing and letting it crank to warm up to start. Once it’s running, it drives like a dream. I am thinking maybe a sensor or relay is not functioning, but I have no clue where to start. Has anyone had this issue before?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sounds like it could a loss of fuel prime to me. Look for any leaks, especially at the pump and filter. Some leaks are worse in the warm weather, oddly enough. You could also have the timing off, or one of the temp sensors is not giving the correct value, or the engine itself is really tired and needs the extra help of the preglow system more than it otherwise should.

"Winter" and "summer" mean different things to different people. I would give the actual ambient temps you are talking about instead.

Jwhite28

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Checked for leaks. I did notice my EGR is leaking. Winter I mean -2 to -25 Celsius it starts no problem. From -2 to 20 Celsius, it doesn’t like to start.