2.5tdi (five cylinder) with ALH wiring harness and ECU.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
I'm interested in converting my T4 from VR6 to 2.5tdi, and have been told that it's possible to modify an ALH wiring harness and ECU to function with this engine. Does anyone here have any direct experience or knowledge of this process? I can imagine that the ECU doesn't care how many cyls are firing, as a crank rotation is a crank rotation. Please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for even contemplating this kind of silliness. I need that kind of negative reinforcement.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well the ECU most certainly DOES care how many cylinders there are, and I would think if you were sourcing a 2.5L TDI (you didn't say which one, there are a few, and with various injection systems) you'd also be able to get the ECU to make it run.

Chances are, if you are talking VE TDIs and EDC15, the ECU isn't physically that much different, but I am sure it is a change that is more than just a soft coding and probably more than a full blow reflash. The E-OBD and OBD2 differences as well as glow control could also be very different.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Well the ECU most certainly DOES care how many cylinders there are, and I would think if you were sourcing a 2.5L TDI (you didn't say which one, there are a few, and with various injection systems) you'd also be able to get the ECU to make it run.

Chances are, if you are talking VE TDIs and EDC15, the ECU isn't physically that much different, but I am sure it is a change that is more than just a soft coding and probably more than a full blow reflash. The E-OBD and OBD2 differences as well as glow control could also be very different.
Thanks, this question was prompted by a brief opportunity to buy a complete long block with turbo and pump, but no harness or ECU. This engine is probably an AXL, ACV,AXG, etc. These are similar to the AEL, but T4 specific models.