1998 Jetta TDI work done......Sears.....

For the work done is it resonable

• Total voters

AlanH70

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Did I get ripped off...1998 Jetta TDI work done......Sears.....

Ok I know you guys said not to go to places like sears.............where i had my battery replaced.....

I had some work done on my car, please tell me if you think this is a fair price.....

OK just to be fair and accurate after several emails back and forth to the shop, my bill was lowered to $724.78 from the original bill of $853.10.....

Labor Amount
OVERALL EVALUATION *PROMO* $0.00
INSPECTION-DIAGNOSE ITEMS TO PASS State Inspection $0.00
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON $255.00
R & R GLOW PLUGS (very difficult-took 2 hrs) $170.00
R & R GLOW PLUG HARNESS o\l $127.50
R & R WASTEGATE ACTUATOR SOLENOID $51.00
R & R WASTEGATE HOSE $59.50
DISCOUNT FOR RENTAL OVER RUN ($93.50)
TOTAL FOR LABOR $569.50

Parts
4 GLOW PLUGS (BOSCH) $100.00
GLOW PLUG BRIDGE MK3\B4\MK4 $79.50
MK3\B4 BOOST CONTROL VALVE (N75) $95.00
HOSE SILICONE 3.5X2 BLUE $15.00
TOTAL PARTS $289.50

Service charges
HAZARDOUS WASTE FEE $6.44
SHOP SUPPLIES $2.85
Discount ($33.86)
Tax $18.67
Total $853.10

All parts and labor warrantied for 12 months or 12000 miles except where indicated
Drive in for an overall evaluation and to diagnose the items necessary to pass state inspection. The check engine lamp is one. The service codes recorded were P0380-glow plug system malfunction and 00575 which is boost control limit exceeded. The glow system was the easiest ti diagnose. It turns out that the plugs were all faulty. None worked...amazingly enough. These were replaced. They were well frozen into the engine and
require a long while to remove. Finally they came out. If one had broken, it would have been
quit pricey to fix. The next item was the glow plug harness. This was clearly and visibly bad.
This was also replaced. One must be very careful as the wires at the connector are very old
and can be problematic once touched. The replacement was successful and without collateral
damages. Once done, the codes were cleared and the readiness set.
The overboost started with a weak boost control solenoid. This was replaced. The overboost
was halved, but still well over the target. The whole of the boost hosing was inspected
including within the ecu. The fault was found at the wastegate hose. This hose had chafed until
there as a hole in it. This was replacd and now boost is normal. No further codes have been
noted. The other issues are as follows:
The sunroof is misaligned. It is also missing pieces. I adjusted it closer (no charge) but I need
more parts to make it right.
The windscreen is cracked. I believe this is due to rust underneath it. I have repaired this sort
of thing befoer. I can show you pictures of what its like if you wish.
The suspension is weak. It needs shocks and struts as wll as some bushings. Including but not
limited to the stabilizer bushings.
The coolant bypass pipe is rotting out(common) this should be addressed prior to the coolant
laking out of it,
The air filter is dirty.
The timing belt and other belts are close to needing replacement. The cam followers should also
be done at this time. I will also inspect the camshaft to be certain its ok.
The intake is clogging as well as leaking(leaks are expensive to fix though). This shoud be
addressed at some point, though power is much inproved at this time.
This is everything that they decided is wrong with the vehicle at this time.....

Last edited:

OldSchoolFresh

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
Did I read it right, wastegate actuator solenoid install for $51? N75 valve? I did mine in about 5 minutes and just needed a par of scissors.

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
CEL can be check with any generic scanner, many which cost less than what they charged you for the scan.

Not sure, but I think I get my glowplugs for less than 25 a plug.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ouch....and I thought dealers were bad.......I wonder how much it would have been if one of the glow plugs stripped or broke off......the labor for harness is a total rip off- parts,sad to say,seems to be correct for a shop that gets the parts and installs them-most shops mark up parts anywhere from around 30-60% from what they buy them for.You really need to find a trusted mechanic near you. I would cry if I had to pay that much for that little work. FWIW-keep an eye out on the glow plugs-kinda worries me that they said they were very hard to remove.Any way to check to make sure all 4 plugs are actually new?:eek: I have done all that work over the years to my car myself-except for changing the harness-but I do have a new one on hand.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
It is a tough call whether I could have flown to you and done the work cheaper. It would have been close. I would love to make $127. for removing and installing the glow plug harness. I would retire doing that.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Remember YOUR thread "F this Jetta...." thread? I thought you would have learned your lesson about Sears. :confused:

If you insist on not using a Guru from here, I will at least enjoy reading about how much you keep overpaying. :p

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
AlanH70 said:
OK so let me get this straight you think I over payed right? By how much do you think I overpayed if in fact you think I did.....

How much does anyone else think I over payed by if in fact you think I over payed?

Did you vote in my poll by the way? Please do if you have not.....
IMHO, since you want it without sugar, you overpaid about $650. Those items are so simple to install that even a caveman er ..... Sears can do it.

This is just a shocking waste of money. You could have bought your own vcds for what they charged you to plug in their clown scan tool; you paid twice as much for parts then you would have paid from vendors on this site; it is unlikely that the glowplug harness and plugs were both shot (luckily Sears hung those extras on you).

So you asked for honesty and there it is ....

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
The $850 question souza

I hope they didn't toof any threads struggling for 2 hours.

I remember when Sears auto center in Warwick quoted me $1000 replace my parking brake cable in a Jeep I had.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
1998 car w/200k miles makes the Pavlovian pooch drool !!

IndigoBlueWagon said:
It's only going to make you feel badly to ask if you paid too much after the fact.
+1.

I think you should be thankful the car is still running, Alan, and just be done with it...overpaying or otherwise ;)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
OldSchoolFresh said:
Did I read it right, wastegate actuator solenoid install for $51? N75 valve? I did mine in about 5 minutes and just needed a par of scissors.
There is a FLAT LABOR CHARGE! We don't care how long it took you.

It's a SHOP. They are entitled to charge the book rate.

The GP labor, Agree that's excessive. Stuck or not an hour tops. Spray, twist, do something else, spray, twist etc. The harness rate isn't that high either. it's like .25 hours.

The CEL $250 something is obviously for the state mandated inspection charge. The fact that the Sears found and FIXED the issues is amazing....All for about $1000 less than the dealer!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
fase2000TDI I know is doing work with folks now, and I'm a loyal visitor at mrchill's shop, Kraftwerke, in Braintree MA, 781-849-5888. He has a specail fondness for A3s as well. meganuke is in Windsor CT, kharley and JollyGreenGiant are in Northern MA. All three a bit farther away than chill.

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
On the up side, if the text on the first page came from the tech/mech that did the work, it seems like that person might actually know what they are doing. I'm with JasonTDI on this one, it is amazing that you found someone at Sears that appears capable of troubleshooting.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Yes, you paid full retail - yes, good mechanic

Pretty obvious that the mechanic was better than most, was more thurough than most, correctly diagnosed the problem, correctly fixed the problem, and correctly pointed out the neglected maintenence issues- timing belt, coolent lines, air filter, etc etc.

Bottom line: Yes you paid full retail for parts and labor. Yes he did fix your problems. Yes he also pointed out needed repairs.
You did a LOT better than if you had gone to the stealership. Not as good as going to a TDI guru.

Get the other stuff fixed.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
jasonTDI said:
There is a FLAT LABOR CHARGE! We don't care how long it took you.

It's a SHOP. They are entitled to charge the book rate.

The GP labor, Agree that's excessive. Stuck or not an hour tops. Spray, twist, do something else, spray, twist etc. The harness rate isn't that high either. it's like .25 hours.

The CEL $250 something is obviously for the state mandated inspection charge. The fact that the Sears found and FIXED the issues is amazing....All for about $1000 less than the dealer!
I agree, the GP labour should be lower. That's the sort of item that just shouldn't take 2hrs, what's the book rate on those?

Overall I don't think that bill is too bad, considering the work seems to be well done. On the other hand, I don't have a clue about the shop rates over there so...:confused:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As you stated and others have,you were lucky you had a competent mechanic at a Sears,who obviously knows VW TDI's.....and you did get a warranty on work,so that is worth something. As long as you can afford to take it to a shop,go ahead. Do you know if the guy does work on the side? You've kept your A3 running for this long,so you are doing something right.But the list of things he gave you will be a few thousand if you take it there. The TB job is around $500 for the A3,parts and labor.Add another $50 or so to do water pump.Suspension can get pricy also-then an alignment will be needed.I've replaced the shocks and struts myself-parts alone were almost $400 IIRC-(shocks,struts,bellows,nuts,bolts,strut bearings and mounts).You really should make a point to attend the next GTG that is held in the region-get to meet alot of nice folks,learn some things about your car,and maybe even get some problems fixed if you have any.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Sorry you over paid for the work you had done.You said one glow plug broken off I hope he got it out.If you happy with with the work move on.One Question why would you take your car to Sears they on the same level as Pepboys:eek:

jasonTDI

TDI
AlanH70 said:
But you still in a way avoid my question, after seeing all this and saying its easy repairs do you think I was overcharged? Should I have just purchased the parts at your store? I guess it all boils down to the question do you think i was over charged for the repairs that were done and taken advantage of....in your opinion....
Would have been under $500 for sure. Sorry, been fixing TDI until 11pm tonight....Got a tow in on a PD with 75K on a TB and it was SHREDDED!

Sorry Scott......Welcome home from Iraq......:(

jasonTDI

TDI
AlanH70 said:
I see you edited your comment...perhaps now you know who did the work on my car, I seem to miss the part where you say I could have saved 60% off if I bought parts from you!!!!! :)
No need to be a pri** about it.....

Editing is allowed.

You overpaid but paid a lot les than the dealer would have charged and got it fixed right. That's all YOU need to be concerned with.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
OK, so I guess I'm the dope here. I misunderstood who actually did the work. Now I've been filled in.

I don't appreciate being played. If you want help here you might be a little more direct in the future.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
IndigoBlueWagon said:
OK, so I guess I'm the dope here. I misunderstood who actually did the work. Now I've been filled in.

I don't appreciate being played. If you want help here you might be a little more direct in the future.
So whats the deal here? The work wasn't done by sears?

Was the fact that a glow plug was broken off or stripped (or something) left out?

If a glow plug stripped on the way out and had to be helicoiled then the price really isn't out of line.

Harness labor is still high though. But since you say, he dropped the price then that probably isn't an issue.

If this is the case then you paid for what you got, and should have no issue with the price.

I aggree with indigo parts that your behavior here isn't appropriate.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm-that isn't right that they didn't give you an estimate before they did the work. Anytime I take stuff I don't want to tackle to Midas,they give me a print out of the cost before I give them the ok or not.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
IndigoBlueWagon said:

People like the OP tend to generate signs like this: