1996 Passat GLX TDI Wagon. California car. Zero rust. 61K on body.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
What engine is that? AHU? otherwise truly a nice car! GLWS

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
From the photos it appears to be a 1Z or AHU. It would be interesting to know what the donor car was, Passat or Jetta.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Good questions. Donor was a B4 Passat sedan.

The car is located near Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. N0N 1C0. I am 10 miles from Port Huron MI 48060.

The car was sold new in the state of California. It still retains the MPH speedo.

I can assist the buyer with shipping but any costs associated are strictly the buyers.

torc_sst_873

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I see the car itself has 61k, do you happen to know what mileage the motor has? This is a nice car and I'm not too far from Sarnia.....🤔

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Yes, the car itself has 61K. The powertrain has ~250-275K. I still have the original car's cluster which will go with the car. We retained the GLX cluster for the MFA features. At the time of the swap, the compression was checked on all four cylinders. The measurements were all around 500psi. This engine starts easily without glow plugging it. It's a strong healthy engine.

If someone were given a B4V for free and took it to their favourite VW Indy shop and had all of the work performed that this car has had, I'd wager they'd be awfully close to the asking price.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
There is a very big OBO attached to the end of the asking price. It's a lot of car for the $ but I'm very car "heavy" at the moment and i'd rather "pass the torch" on this one.

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
When / how many miles back was the timing / coolant service done?

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
So, in FL I could put antique plates on it. I'd need to go to the flea market to get with the guy who'd have 1996 FL tag to throw on. Pretty cool.

Would the HexNet Ross-Tech cable be the appropriate one to use (, is what I've got). Don't know much about b4 cars. Except they must be Even simpler.

So, swap was a couple years ago? Really, if it's less than than say 5 years doesn't matter much. Good deal for the right buyer - rescue it from the salt / winters, and run it till they don't sell diesel anymore. 😁

Glws, bump

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Technically here you could get antique/historic plates for it. YOu could also insure through Hagerty.

Yes, this is OBD2 so RossTech VagCom cables work , no issue.

It's a great car. For the right person this could be 10+ year with the proper care.