1990 Toyota 22RE 4x4 Engine Swap

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I've always heard turbo's need to be mounted within 15 degree of vertical to drain properly. Best I can tell mine would be very near vertical, as I am using a custom manifold.

I did notice that if i sprayed brake clean in the oil inlet of the turbo it wouldn't drain out, I had to blow it though. I know there is some tight tolerances, but I would have assumed that something thin like brake clean would have ran right through it. I am going to put the turbo back in and stick a bucket under the oil return, then run it for 10 seconds. Apparently most journal bearing turbo's flow ~2L min, I'm curious to see if I'm getting something close to that.

Other than that I, I'm kinda stumped. If anyone has any other suggestions or things to check, I'm all ears! Still waiting for Malone to get back to me about some boost logs, maybe he will have some insight.

Luke

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I've always heard turbo's need to be mounted within 15 degree of vertical to drain properly. Best I can tell mine would be very near vertical, as I am using a custom manifold.

I did notice that if i sprayed brake clean in the oil inlet of the turbo it wouldn't drain out, I had to blow it though. I know there is some tight tolerances, but I would have assumed that something thin like brake clean would have ran right through it. I am going to put the turbo back in and stick a bucket under the oil return, then run it for 10 seconds. Apparently most journal bearing turbo's flow ~2L min, I'm curious to see if I'm getting something close to that.

Other than that I, I'm kinda stumped. If anyone has any other suggestions or things to check, I'm all ears! Still waiting for Malone to get back to me about some boost logs, maybe he will have some insight.

Luke
I'm not an expert, but the turbo oil feed is under pressure, so I'd figure it's going to drain fine...

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
markd89:

I would think so, but I've heard of people having to use oil scavenging pump in applications where the turbo is low or level with the oil pan. From what I've seen/heard if the oil isn't draining fast enough from the turbo, the seals are typically turned into a new exit path.

I put the turbo back in tonight, I'll try and get some boost logs tomorrow although it is midterm season...

I found a small hole in the the compressor outlet where I TIG'd on a extra pipe to get rid of the weird Mercedes plumbing fixtures, wondering if that was the source of my weird whistle?

I also took off the turbo return line and let the truck idle, I got about 125ML in 20 seconds. I would tend to think that is reasonable at idle, seeing as oil pressure is supposed to be 29 psi at 2000rpm and up to 100psi at higher rpms.

I also spoke with Malone today about some options to get this turbo to spool a little sooner. I'm excited to see what he can do once i provide him with some decent boost logs......if that ever happens.

Luke