1988 audi 80 quattro to pd130

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Quick message to bring the thread back to life. Just got all moved into our new house and bought a couple necessities for setting up a proper shop to work on vehicles and projects such as a compressor and cherry picker. Funny how little things like an engine hoist can demotivate a person. Still waiting to get my cylinder head back from the machinist, after that will need to get my injectors back and start reassembly.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I never understood why so many people have to have a hoist when working on a VW/Audi. Mine sits tucked in the corner of the garage as its far easier to pull the front clip off and roll it in on the jack

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
That method is nice too, how do you get the engine from the floor to the jack initially? I used to muscle them around, but I'm getting too smart (insert old, worn out) for that. I also have other projects not in the vag family that require a hoist, so it's nice to have one again.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I usually put the jack under the motor mount than gently slide it into the motor. Its actually pretty easy once you do it a couple times :). Different strokes I guess

Luksus40%

TDI
Audi 90 B3 1.9pd AWX
Hi I have a question for the author's theme of RPM if it works in your car?
Write something more I have the same car with the same engine and old clock speeds.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure if I understand the question completely. If you are talking about the tachometer (rev counter) I never did get a chance to hook it up yet. When I get it back together i'll hook it up and see if it will read correct with the 4 cylinder.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally a post with some progress, got the engine fully pulled out and cleaned up, I'll be doing the motor mounts again. I plan on putting the engine as far back as I can with the 6 speed.

I got the old 5 speed mostly pulled out, but broke my 6mm Allen and decided to call it a day.

I have decided to get another PD cylinder head and keep this one stock (besides the injectors). I'll put this one on as soon as it comes and start getting things put back together.

More to come

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Not too much going on. I ended up breaking my fibula while on vacation and that demotivated me a bit. Lots of excuses as to why it's not up and running yet, none of them are very good though.

My main reasoning behind placing it on the back burner is due to a friend of mine. He bought a TTRS and chipped it, it's a blast to drive and the sound is great too. I have evil thoughts of putting a I5 rabbit/jetta engine in there w/ your old comp turbo.

Good work getting your S6 going, that should be a great vehicle to drive around.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave up on the Audi, the cost to upgrade the brakes, driveline, chassis, and other pieces was just too high. I decided to install the engine into my 2000 Passat and have been driving it for a week or so. I may do a build thread, but here's a video of the Passat in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlKWY1fQnBM

Thanks for following
Jon

fadiatdi

TDI
fabia 1.9tdi Pd, Passat 1.9tdi pd, Galaxy 1.9tdi, Octavia 1.9tdi
Hi
just read through the whole thread, some great information and great how to in there!.
Just a quick question, how are the non stretch cam bolts and rocker bolts holding up? Did you use non stretch for the injectors as well?

Sorry to see the Audi bite the dust, but aren't passats great btw.
Thanks Andy

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I only used the non stretch bolts on the cam caps and rocker shafts. I used the OEM bolts for the injectors, but may investigate going with the non stretch there as well. So far, I have had great luck with the 12.9 bolts in place, I have them installed into all of my PD vehicles without issues. One of my cars has about 30K miles on it with the 12.9 hardware in place.

I still have the Audi, and think frequently how much fun it would be with the AWX installed into it, but then I remember the additional cost of the brakes and wheel bits.
Passats are indeed fun, great cars if taken care of.