1988 audi 80 quattro to pd130

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Yeah, about those tests I don't have to worry about that here. There aren't any tests like that or emission tests either. I better hope that the laws don't change on me :).

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Small update, I just ordered a gtb2260vk turbo. It will take awhile to get here, and I'll have to make an adapter for the manifold. Updates when turbo is received.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Very cool project...I took a look at the youtube vids....once that thing gets a tdi trans and a bigger turbo its going to be NASTY....;) I looks like it already rips through 1st and 2nd in a flash.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I received the turbo on thursday, I promptly disassembled it and inspected :). It is a used turbo, and looks really good. I took some pictures compared to the old 1756va turbo, it's impressive. It might be a little while before I can get some time to make the adapter plate and get it plumed up. I did pull off the intercooler pipes and drained the oil from them. There was quite a bit. I also cleaned the compressor shavings out ;). More to come soon.

Jon

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I started making the adapter plate for the turbo. I got most of it done, but made a major rookie mistake with it. It's not detrimental, but sucks nonetheless. I tapped holes for the turbo with a 9mm tap instead of an 8mm tap. I guess I need glasses :). It won't be any more difficult, but it's a little more difficult to get 9mm studs.

I took some pictures, but my battery went dead. I'll charge them and start posting more picturs. I'm looking forward to driving the 80 again, I think I'll have to be a lot more careful with the gearbox with this turbo. I also picked up some new injectors, I had planned on removing the tips and sending them out to be enlarged, but I'm not sure that is the best course of action right now for me. I'll probably just put on the turbo and get it tuned for the max safe fueling and see where that takes the Audi.

More soon.

Jon

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
Since you are already concerned about your tranny I would stick with the turbo and a remap. That should put you in the +200hp territory.

I still have gaskets if you were still interested. Your 9mm stud will work even better than the 8mm's with these gaskets. LOL Mistake?? or planning for gaskets?? ;)

O.C.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Hahaha I guess my sub-conscious mind had things planned out already for the 9mm studs :). On a side note I stopped at the fastener store today and it looks like the studs will need to be a special order part. O.C. I'll send you a pm regarding the gaskets as I'll be needing them sooner than later. Thanks for making extras. I might need to have them make me up one for the manifold side of the adapter plate.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Just some pictures of the turbo with the adapter plate. Oh and I couldn't find off the shelf M9X1.25 studs or bolts, so I decided to drill the holes through and counter-sink those ones too. It worked out pretty good, I still need to have the plate milled on both sides to true it.

Picts

a comparison of the stock gt1749va turbine wheel vs the gtb2260vk wheel

Here is the vnt lever difference

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I have had to sideline this project a bit due to a family addition :). Small problem with the turbo, in my excitement to get it working with a vacuum actuator I didn't take into account the Audi's frame and don't have the room for the vacuum dashpot for the actuator. I initially thought about putting it on a bell crank lever setup, but more recently have been thinking about a type of low friction bowden cable (like a bicycle's gear selector setup). The cable would be a little easier, but the bell crank would look better.

I'm also looking into a better radiator and intercooler setup. I think I've mentioned it previously, but I don't believe that the stock A5 intercooler is very efficient. It will probably be at least a couple of months until I can post any real progress pictures or videos of it.

If anybody has any input on my ideas I'd like to hear them.

Jon

MJF

TDI
A6q 2,5 V6, 80q 1,9TDI
What radiator are you using now? As for intercooler, I´d search something like this. Here is my setup in b2q, B4 TD radiator and pretty similar size intercooler than that ebay one.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Bringing it back from the dead, I'm selling my 97' TDI Jetta and I need some input on where to spend the money. I was originally planning on buying an Audi 200 Quattro with the 20V I5 Turbo, but I'm thinking about taking the money and putting it into the TDI Audi. I know ultimately it's my decision, but it's a difficult one to make.

Jon

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, so I sold my Jetta. Bought a nice Miller welder, didn't buy the gasser Audi :). Ordered some parts, including: intake manifold (used Audi's for the Vanagon), fsi/tsi map sensor flange, 4 bar map sensor, and am debating between a air to air intercooler and an air to water intercooler. I'm leaning more towards the air to air intercooler right now.

Jon

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, so I received some parts: 4 bar map, PD150 manifold, 4 bar map flange, and the welder. I got the go ahead from the wife to get the 01E transmission and upgraded clutch, I'll be purchasing the injectors with the R783 nozzles installed from fellow member, and a re-map. I'm still trying to decide which type of intercooler I am going to go with, I have some time to decide that though.

I haven't worked a lick on it yet, been too busy to even get it in the shop. Hopefully it will slow down (just a little) so I can pull it in. I have a lot to do this winter. I'll probably get it going again with the transmission it has now and upgrade a little later, I'll still need to gather some parts to make the 01E compatible with my B3 chassis.

Jon

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Jon, I would go with the air-air FMIC. From the tests I did, the AWIC didn't make a lot of sense for a street application, but was the best option for drag racing. It all comes down to the operating temperature of the water loop in the AWIC, which goes up enough over driving time to make the FMIC win out on cooling capacity. When starting off cold, the water in the loop has a good cooling effect, but after some driving, it goes up enough that the temperature diffrential is just not there any more, and you have two transfers, with loss in efficiency (air to water at front cooler, then water to air in intal loop) chipping away at the overall efficiency. I found the extra plumbing a bit of a hassel too. Just more potential leak points and equipment to maintain.
This is going to be a fast little ride! :D

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I really need to upgrade the brakes. Thanks for the info regarding the charge coolers Syncro, I think I'll go with the air to air cooler.

I'm going to completely re-do the left side motor mount and probably box in the frame to ensure it is strong enough to support all the torque that it will have. I also will move the engine/trans back about an inch when I put in the 01E, it will need a custom driveshaft anyways.

A lot of ideas floating around in my head, just need to implement them ;).

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
where is the steering rack on yours? On the A4's it sit about mid height of the engine, about 4" back. I was very tempted to run front engine/RWD only but I would of wanted to move motor back a good 8"+. There is lots of room back there...if it wern't for the rack... If you look at a side profile of an Audi Quatrro, the entire engine is a fair distance in front of the front wheels. Its amazing they handle so nice with the engine so far from the center of gravity.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
where is the steering rack on yours? On the A4's it sit about mid height of the engine, about 4" back. I was very tempted to run front engine/RWD only but I would of wanted to move motor back a good 8"+. There is lots of room back there...if it wern't for the rack... If you look at a side profile of an Audi Quatrro, the entire engine is a fair distance in front of the front wheels. Its amazing they handle so nice with the engine so far from the center of gravity.
The rack on the B2/B3 cars is similarly placed when comparing it to the B5, the differences are the rack is mounted to the firewall about midway down, whereas the B5 the rack is mounted under the water box up higher. The engine can only be moved a couple inches farther back until the rack becomes an issue.

Your right these cars do handle well considering the bulk of the engine is located forward of the front wheels, one reason why audi's tend to under steer.

The latest Audis have the transmission differential several inches forward which allows the engine to be placed that much more rearward.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I talked with Scott a couple days ago and he said that the 6 speed and clutch should be shipping in about 5 days. I'm in the middle of house hunting and found one that is promising. It has a large two car garage that would allot me ample space for projects.

Looking forward to getting going again.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
That's really interesting about converting the audi 80 as that was something I thought about doing at one point, mine was the saloon version of yours but it had to mkany other things wrong that I didn't bother in the end but I might do it eventually. The funny thing is I just mentioned it last night to someone else then I just found your thread after looking at AndyBees one tonight.:)

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it's been a fun road to travel. I'm really getting anxious to start working on it again. It was a hoot to drive before, but now that it will have the race injectors and gtb2260 turbo I can't imagine how it's going to be.

I have been looking for some other parts that I'll be needing for the 6 speed conversion, I just purchased a shifter with linkage from an S4, (it's not a bolt in solution so I'll have to see the best way to mount it) so that's one thing that I can cross off my list. I still need to get some flange cups from a 4motion/quattro rear end and a driveshaft solution, I'll wait until I get the engine trans installed before making a determination on which route to go with the shaft. It might only need an Audi 4K driveshaft, but it might need a custom shaft. We'll see soon enough.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
So what clutch were you using, and what one did you order? I'm curious as I hope to use the clutch and flywheel from my S6

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I was using the stock AWX dual mass flywheel and clutch, I knew that with the added power that clutch wouldn't last longer than a day. The new one was supposed to be a prototype clutch that Scott Dewitt was developing in conjunction with someone else, it's supposed to be a 240mm unit. I hope Scott comes on and talks a little more about it as I don't know the exact details for it yet.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
I am the question master :)

Where did you get your fuel pressure regulator? I will be dealing with the same thing (high PSI that needs to be regulated down). There is a diesel guy in the next shop over, I may have to go pick his brain when my swap (FINALLY) gets started.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I was using the stock AWX dual mass flywheel and clutch, I knew that with the added power that clutch wouldn't last longer than a day. The new one was supposed to be a prototype clutch that Scott Dewitt was developing in conjunction with someone else, it's supposed to be a 240mm unit. I hope Scott comes on and talks a little more about it as I don't know the exact details for it yet.
Yes it's a rather light Solid flywheel sourced from another VAG product modified to fit a 240mm Disc. Depending upon flavors, the clutch/flywheel can hold up to 700 ft/lbs. My only concern is the flywheel is lighter than I would like to see. I'm working with a few flywheel manufacturers to come up with a solid steel flywheel in the 20lb range for 1.9/1.8t use, and of course it will be the most affordable package out there.

Ps a pallet of stuff should be there in the next couple days.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I received the trans and clutch today, they look awesome. Now I guess I need to get busy working :). I'll post some pictures when I get back home.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are some photos as promised. Not any work performed yet, but I'm catching up on my projects list and this project is creeping up in priority.

One of my Garage helpers :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I like that last picture :)

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the front end of the car apart in about an hour this weekend, waiting on the larger valves to get here then to send it off to get ported. I had a good talk with the head porter on Tuesday about it, I want to get the supporting mods out of the way to get some serious torque out of it seeing that traction will not be an issue.

I need to start looking into 5 lug conversions for it, I have a set of BBS wheels and BFG's that are going on it. They are the 5X112mm pattern which will also open up Brake possibilities. I took some pictures, but I'm sure if I looked through this thread I could find a couple different shots with the front of the vehicle off, so I won't bore anybody with the more recent shots.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
So I though I would dust this old thread off and update it a little bit. I sent my cylinder head off and had the big valves put in and it ported out. I got it back and the ports looked awesome. Quite a bit of work in the right places in the exhaust ports and some blending in the intake, I'm anxious to get it put back together..... But it was damaged in shipping and the face of it had been hit on the driver's side corner, so I had to send it back for some magic to be performed. It wouldn't have sealed up as it sat.

I know I've said this before, but I should be able to start working on it again here real soon. We've been renting since we moved down in Utah in January and it's been hard to find the space to do some real damage. We'll find out if I'll have some more space soon. I have a lot of cool stuff to assemble and am getting anxious to start building again.

That's where it's standing for now.