1986 Toyota 4Runner - VW TDI powered- NY

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Well the time has come I think. I've put alot of time an money into this truck but I have other projects waiting and I want less than six cars. The body is from Maryland via Ohio. The frame is really solid, it does have surface rust. The body is rattle canned flat tan and the 1/4s could use replacement or repair. The rest of the truck is solid. The chassis has 198k on it. I've daily driven it for about 1.5yrs and over 20k miles. It ended up being my only vehicle until a month ago. Its very reliable and gets about 30mpg average yearly, 32mpg best. Has no problem cruising at 80mph although it doesn't feel safe. :p

SOLD

Partial build thread with pics:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158587

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/scirocco1988/TDI%20Truck/

-Has a Diesel title from the NYS DMV and has passed inspection twice.
-1997 TDI purchase with 110km
I've put about 23k miles on it
All stock minus deleted egr
-32x11.5 bfg ATs with 15x8 steelies 23k on them.
-R151F, best toyota truck 5 speed period. 4.31 1st gear and .83 5th.
-Marlin Crawler 1300bl clutch (easy effort)
-Bud built cross member
-carter lift pump
-Spearco front mounted intercooler with 2" IC plumbing.

Issues:
rear suspension is shot (springs have no arch left) Comes with brand new OME rear springs.
Could use alignment, steering wheel not straight.
Driver's side window seals are bad.
e-brake needs to be adjusted

Last edited:

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
sounds good... lots of interest here! I'm out of town for work... when i get a minute i'll read up on your build threads to re-fresh my memory about what's up and down with it.
Thanks,
Scott

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
so sad to see the runner go....

:( I've been watching your progress over the last couple of years and I'm sad to see ya' sell this one....but I understand the need to move on....it was great watching you put this one together, and maybe I'll get back started on my own TDI Toy one day....good luck with the sale!!!

lotar_6

TDI
None
best of luck w/ the sale! sad to see it go, tho...

This truck runs like a top and was built by one of the best! Nothing leaves his garage unless it works well!!

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
I read the entire build thread.

Have you taken it offroad how well does it handle it? Probably not as well right now with the rear suspension being shot but in past how has it been?

Does it have the solid axle upfront or the IFS? I can not remember what year they changed it.

How many miles does it have now?

What all maintence repairs is it going to need in the near future?

What color is the interior? Can not tell if it is tan or gray

Thats all I cna think of for now. Very nice build. more overallpics of the truck would be great.

Last edited:

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I'll be taking a bunch of pics this weekend.

Its not really been offroad on a real trail but I think it would be pretty good. In low range and with the 4.31 first its kinda hard to stall it. It does come with brand new rear OME springs, a shackle kit and U-bolt flip kit from Marlin Crawler.

Its going to need a timing belt in the next 15-20k. Front brakes will be needing in a year probably. The rear brakes need to be adjusted.

-IFS
-tan, has the inclinometer too. :)

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Thats really cool that thing would be amazing with a solid axle up front be a tought little set up. I am wanting to have my a VW 4x4 at some point, but now I got the Beast of a k5 blazer. Sound like a very nice set up look forward to the pics.

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (SOLD), 2005 Jetta Wagon
Mpg?

What kind of mileage have you been getting?

tdIraddo

TDI
1999.5 TDI Golf, 2001 TDi Golf GLS, 2002 TDi Golf GLS
OMG i want this. i have been looking for a conversion for a while. i need to sell my car :(

do you think the mileage is due to the large tires? seems a bit low for conversions, but then again ive never done one.

Last edited:

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I'm sure it would do much better with smaller tires. I haven't seen too many 4wd truck conversions with better mileage other than Suzukis with NA 1.6s. This has 3x the power they do so its not too bad.

burnsms

TDI
2001 Silver Golf GLS
I'd give it a bit more time. If it wasn't so far away I would consider it.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
OH, don't part it out !
I'd buy this sucker if the body was a little bit cleaner, that's my only issue.
I COULD change everything out with one of the other 400 4runner's my buddy has, but i don't need ANOTHER project.
Good luck with the sale... i'd just hate to see you rip something apart that you spent so much time building !

tdIraddo

TDI
1999.5 TDI Golf, 2001 TDi Golf GLS, 2002 TDi Golf GLS
yeah dont part it!!! for sure.

if i could sell my current car, i'd drive up there and buy it. just a matter of time ;)

(if you decide to part, i may be interested in the driveline/engine/tranny/wiring combo.)

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I don't mean to hijack and this is a very awesome build! But, hooray for 4Runners! I miss mine so much. I wanted to swap in a Toyota 1Z diesel engine into it... but alas, I didn't have the cash. Anyway... a couple pics for a 4Runner bump! :p (Click thumbnails for larger image)

1991 4Runner

Retrofitted some BMW 3-Series Bi-Xenon projectors into the 7x6 housings... WAYYY better light output Not quite as cool (or hard) as your engine swap!

And at Oceano OHV park

Last edited:

Bino

TDI
1999 MKIV Golf 2Dr
Hey man,
A friend of mine is very interested in your 4Runner. He said he can't find your contact information, and his e-mails are getting bounced back to him.

Send me a PM with your contact info.

Thanks