1982 Vanagon 1.6 Diesel (not turbo)

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 03 2dr 5sp 357,xxx; Current: B5.5V 116,xxx
For sale is my friend's 1982 Vanagon L (Diesel). He is off to grad school and is a motivated seller.

Non-original 1.6 Diesel engine (replaced by previous owner) and unknown mileage, both on the body and engine. Original paint, although it has been touched up in certain areas. There is a substantial amount of rust, but not to the extent it is incapable of being repaired or driven.

Since it was purchased in 2009, the following work has been done:

-new alternator
-new starter
-new slave cylinder
-new brake lines
-new block heater
-exhaust cross-pipe
-right front trialing arm
-new battery (this spring)

Once the coolant tank is replaced I'll update this ad with the status of the vehicle.

Coolant tank has been replaced. No leaks.

The T-belt is also in decent condition. The entire package comes with a T-belt kit (includes tool). Photo gallery (link at end of this post) includes current photo of the T-belt.

Tires were changed in 2010 and have been exposed to weather, 60% tread left and they don't lose air. Has lived on the coast in New Hampshire, Cape Cod in Massachusetts, and Baltimore, Maryland. Clean title and VIN.

Asking $2600, firm.

For a full set of photos (outside, inside, and of the engine), please visit http://s59.photobucket.com/user/skoullias/slideshow/1982 VW Vanagon - Diesel

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am really surprised nobody is taking you up on that. I'd be all over it if you were closer, and I already have one!

You may try putting it on www.thesamba.com or find the Vanagon Owner's Group (VOG) on facebook.

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Brian. Maybe it's the season? This van is a project, albeit one that can run without too much effort. Perhaps at this point in the summer people who would be in the market for such a vehicle are wanting to hit the open road and not be working on a vehicle? Maybe it's that the overall market for TDI's is has dipped, but my sense is that the values will rebound within a few of years. Discretionary purchases such as a used recreational vehicle (which most people would use this as) are also affected by global economic uncertainty. Maybe I'll tow it to NC where my friend is going to grad school and he can work on it and sell it after the election, when things have settled a bit. If you're a Hillary supporter, and she wins, it's clean energy ;) If you're a Trump supporter, and he wins, maybe the cost of fuel goes down and you end up owning the van with the cheapest milage on the market :) Either way, you can't lose!

I would buy it myself at this price and put an AAZ in it. There is a body with the same color scheme and same year on CL near me that is going for a few hundred bucks which I'd buy to replace the rusted panels with OEM VW panels, but I have neither welding skills nor the space.

I posted it on the Samba the same time I posted it here and there has been more interest from out West that the East coast. I think my friend is also going to put it on eBay and on CL locally later today. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to someone from farther away rather than close by. If something is listed in your neck of the woods, you tend to sit on your hands a little longer hoping the price will come down, but I don't think my friend is going to come down any further.

Last edited:

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump for an 18 hour notice (my friend is taking local offers and will cancel the auction in the next 6 hours for reasonable offers).

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Chris, thanks. Yeah, seems like summer is the wrong time to sell.

I'm all good for B5.5v (have a BSM delete and hardened cam), unless you have a spare 6sp kit you'd be willing to swap out my tiptronic for on the cheap.

Barry, who I have a feeling you will be seeing very soon (he is on the Cape as I type) has a B4, and is headed for a road trip, so please give his ride a go-over.