175,000 miles. 3 years 3 months (2000 JEDI)

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI

there it is

the only things i have replaced are:

17k & 75k miles - MAF (w/OEM filter). i have replaced MAF's since then but only to put on somone else's car to help them out.

100k miles - rear brakes

60k & 120K - Timing Belt

other then that; headlights (PIAA's burn out very 6 months
), plenty of tires and 2 different sets of wheels, plenty of oil changes at 5k-7k intervals.

click here for more on the JEDI

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
BTW, had to put the Broadway tag there since i purchased the car there and that is also where i hit 175,000 at (picking up oil and fuel filters... go figure
).

duuudeman

TDI
GLS, 2003, Black

Holy roadkill Batman !

That's a lot of mileage in a short period of time !! What do you do for a living ? Transport human organs across the country ?!? Hahaha ...

I am leasing my Jetta TDI and went for the 25,000km / yr option ! But after driving it for a few days and getting more and more comfortable with it, I am kinda wishing I had the 50,000km / yr option

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Not bad, but you have a ways to go before you catch up to me!

Jeff in Texas
2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed "RAV" (Rural Assult Vehicle)
211,800 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing fast!

kbgotmilk

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Silver
Okay, this is why I bought my Jetta. I figured the cost per mile over the lifetime of the car drops considerably when you ditch it for pennies at 80,000 miles. Most cars I've had never make it to 100,000 before requiring thousands of dollars in repairs. Thanks for posting this.

By the way, I helped my son get a Golf TDI in HS. He is now paying $300/month for payments and $150/month for insurance and crying like a baby. He says all his friends have $1000 junkers that do just fine. His car is only 9 months old and already has 20,000 miles on it. At this rate, he'll have 125,000 when he graduates from college, and it will still be very drivable. This is why we're paying this much money for a quality car.

Fast_SilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
Nice to see a instrument cluster with no small scratches and dust inside under the buttons. Oh how nice it'd be if mine looked like that!

Don't ever clean it. It'll scratch!

Oh yeah. Why on the KM/H instrument clusters is there a little red mark instead of white on the 50???? Even the people at VW don't seem to know!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well I drank a few beers today doing the 50,000 mile maintenance on my TDI: 50000 miles in 14 months! So at 3 years and 3 months I will be just a little behind Garrett. Oh, at 50,000 miles I have done nothing but routine maintenance on the car; dealer replace ignition switch and blower motor under warranty early on.

I guess I am in the pack that drives the TDI like it wants to be driven. Not at the head of the pack, but in it.

athar

TDI
ALH
I'm not sure why the 50 and 70 km/h markings are red on the european dashboards, but since most speedlimits are 50km/h (town, smaller roads) and 70km/h outside towns, i assume it "warns" (yeah right!) the driver ???
But then why don't make a red marking for highways (120km/h) ?? And then there's the limit of 90 on lots of roads... and the 130 km/h limit on highways in germany and france....
...hell why not make all markings red then! LOL

MileageDude

Veteran Member
I'm not sure why the 50 and 70 km/h markings are red on the european dashboards,
Due to national posted city/urban limits and a VAG speed-o marked in 20's. Hard to judge with 20's where 50 and 70 fall.

I've really never seen a 70 KPH sign. I have seen the 50 kph and the 30 kph in school zones.

I also see a lot of 110KPH in wet weather vs 130 in dry-good conditions. Wet or dry no one does lesss than 140KPH.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
It always does my heart good to read posts like this.

garrett P: A coupla questions if you would be so kind:

Are you on the original injectors, nozzles, and using OEM fuel filtration ?

Have you not replaced CVC joints ?

Is the JEDI using more oil, lost any compression, still running like new ? Thanks!

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
yes i have the orignal injectors. i do have a custom set of .330 injector nozzles but i am waiting for the clutch to go out before i replace the injectors. i have a triple turn tuning box on there (and have since about 30k miles) so i feel no need for anything other then the .330's

i did have an oil by-pass filter but i change the oil enough where i did not feel the need for it. also, the pressure drop from a by-pass worried me over the long run (maybe i am nuts but i will stick with OEM and 5k-7k changes).

everything is still what came with the car but the rear brakes at 100K.

at 4,000 miles on an oil change i run about 1/2 quart of earl.

have not checked compression but my favorite person in the world (Pete) did and i was above 550psi on all 4 at around 120k miles (i think that was the mileage). i do want to get a compression tester and if i ever do i will report it here.

yes it still runs like new with a lot of mods
. problems i have are as follows:

-right side door creaks on heavy curbs but i think that is just an adjustment.

-front sway bar bushings needed to be replaced around 75k miles but i have not repaced them yet as it is not that annoying.

-when i push in the clutch the engine note changes (guessing a throw out bearing?). the clutch is still fine and held all this winter. the clutch did slip at 122k-125k miles two winters ago but has not slipped since then

-glow plug light comes on in winter on cold days. fixed that with a coolant heater
(1000watt-Christmas gift from Rene
)

all in all, I LVOE TO DRIVE THE JEDI
. i cannot say enough about this car. last summer i had a loan written up for an orange New Beetle Turbo S (as a second car). i did not get it though as i knew i would never drive it since i love my TDI so much (chipped the Turbo S gets 214HP and 240-260ft lbs and i like my TDI more).

i see mileage like K5ING and just want to drive my car more. i find excuses just to drive a long distance. the thing that keeps me from that now is a bad lower back and neck problems to boot

i would probably like to get a Passat TDI and even thought about a Jetta TDI Wagon but with what the JEDI and i have been through (46 of the 48 states in part) i could not see me getting rid of the JEDI to get something with more room. i would also like to see how many miles i get before something goes out. the clutch and the turbo being the two things i am trying to get to go south. i beat the heack out of the turbo (when i nail it on the run and the boost starts to drop, i let off the pedal and nail it again to keep the boost up
). and of course, i am waiting for the clutch to go so i can throw in a Quaife and better clutch. i guess a watched kettle really does not boil

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I'll throw in a "Me too..." here:

I bought my 2000 Jetta on May 11th, 2000.
As of June 8, 2003, I have 149,700 miles on her. She still runs like a top, and I do my own work (now that the warranty is nowhere in sight). Here's what's been done:

1) MAFs (total of 4, including the current one)
2) Right front wheel bearing replaced at 75,000 miles
3) ECM replaced at 96,000 miles
4) Turbo rebuilt at 120,000 miles
5) Rear brakes at 125,000 miles
6) Regular timing belt changes (60, 120, 200k-stay tuned)
7) 10,000 mile oil changes with Delvac

Stock CCV, paper filters, adjusted EGR, original clutch, water pump, injectors, and injection pump. No other performance mods at all, and I average about 52 MPG in the summer, 48 in the winter. Mostly highway driving. I am absolutely envious that someone has hit the 200k mark already- excellent work.

-Rich

S

SkyPup

Hey garrett p, how come your Upsolute Chip has not blown your turbo from all that surge that your awesome chip produces?

You'd think that you'd have blown at least three or four by now right?

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Hey garrett p, how come your Upsolute Chip has not blown your turbo from all that surge that your awesome chip produces?

You'd think that you'd have blown at least three or four by now right?
LOL Skypup. and have you heard the latest, after market air filters add to surging
i have a Viper so i must be surging like crazy. maybe i have one of those sruge free turbo's

steam4

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, Silver
Hmmm.......similar mileage and a bad back!! Don't tell me that you've got a bad L5/S1 disc. If so maybe we need to let our Orthopedic Dr's give our cars a checkup

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Nate:

As it turns out, my turbo stopped boosting last August, very much overnight, which put me in a temporary panic before I realized what the problem was, because I had just done the timing belt a short time before. I checked everything out, and determined (after a great deal of testing and pondering) that the problem must be within the turbo itself, but I doubted it. After the Garrett dealer in Worcester looked at it (I took it off myself and brought it to them, as everything external worked fine) they determined that the vanes of the variable nozzle mechanism were plugged with carbon. So bad, in fact, that it was not allowing the exhaust gasses to hit the turbine at the correct angle of attack, and thus no boost. A very bizzarre problem given that the car is treated well, but they did tell me to work it a little harder to keep that carbon from collecting. I don't think the folks out there with the automatics have to worry about it, but if you have a manual trans, get on it every now and then to clean it out. Since the rebuild, which took about 3 weeks, it's been about a year, and given me no trouble at all.

Hope that was informative!!!

-Rich

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Very informative!

That's why I'm winding her out to 3,000 rpm and above just like DBW and SP have been saying!

S

SkyPup

Wind it up and blow it out, she'll thank you for it over the years!

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
G:

An orange NB would be "you." I like them too. There's been a couple show up around here, but none in TDI. I'd like an orange NB TDI with 5-sp.

I'd think a wagon would be really tempting for you, if for nothing else other than the sleeping room it'd provide for your far-flung travels. I've seen your contorted body after a night of "car camping" at Hondo's!

Rack up a few more miles and come down for a visit.

Anthony

VWBoraTDI90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
April 2001 Volkswagen BORA TDI, GLS, 90 hp, 5 speed, silver ext/black int, cold package
Hey Rich,

"they did tell me to work it a little harder to keep that carbon from collecting"

That's true!!! I doing over 100 mph for a few miles every other week. Too bad I can not drive my TDI like in Germany for hours at 140-160 kph.

Jordan

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Whoa. ***I*** have a bad back now too!

Therefore, TDI's cause back problems!!!!! Oh no!

Waitaminute. I have a bad back and have had to replace my MAF!!

Therefore, bad backs cause your MAF to fail!!!!!

Why has VW kept this information from us?!

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
178,000 now

i am at Greg's house right now and we checked the compression;

#1- 510
#2- 515
#3- 505
#4- 510

not to bad for running a foam filter for over 150,000 miles

also, Greg checked my injectors (putting .205's
) and said everything is clean as a whistle (cleaner he said in fact then cars with half the mileage). i would guess part of this is due to using addative each and every tanks.

and as for running hi-RPM, i do not run hi-RPM very often at all. infact, i check my mileage (MFA cluster) and 5th gear at 25mph gives me great mileage. most of my shifts are done below 2,000 RPM's and most of my city driving is below 2,000 as well. however, i do nail it when getting on the hi-way or going through toll booths and such. and, in the inevitable search to make my clutch slip, i nail the pedal around 1,500 RPM's most all of the time that i do nail it hard. all this stuff that i do is what you should not do. and needless to say, my intake, turbo and internals are all very clean and everything still runs the way it should.

i guess with additive and proper oil changes and the occasional Italiano el-tune upa', everything is just fine.

oh, and for mileage. i average around 46. the other day i hit 53 averageing 60mph on the back roads of northern Wisconsin.

i still don't understand why people don't buy diesels

and lastly (sorry for the long post
). there is a B20 pump in Chicago. running my first tank of B20 right now